You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

lets not make this a dirty witch hunt, okay? we put our concerns here, this came as a shock to everyone, and anyone in this needs to evaluate the new situation for themselves with possible options in either way. this certainly is an emotionally loaded topic, especially for those who depend on the affinity suite for their Job (like me) and feel like they got screwed over out of the blue. 

but its not helpful to attack freshly registered users or staff members. keep it civilised. i respect that affinity didnt moderate this thread. usually you would see threads like get wiped from negative comments or completely locked/deleted. 

I think the general sentiment and concerns got voiced and now its up to canva where this goes. lets not spiral that into a hatefueled poopstorm - this makes that difficult situation just more toxic for everyone. 

I will share my honest constructive feedback as years long pro affinity user in the survey they put out, just for the case i was wrong with my pessimistic view on this ordeal, but im sitting on packed bags because of all the red flags. 

1 minute ago, PaulEC said:

It would be interesting to know if there is some technical reason for needing online registration, 

The reason is simple. The V1 was unlocked with a serial number, which was like an invitation to a free banquet for pirates.  

Online verification made it more difficult for pirates to use the software without a valid license. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

47 minutes ago, Chills said:

Well, what is the market?  A video editor is a huge undertaking.  The market is overcrowded at all levels as it is.

If so the vector/photo editor market is also "overcrowded"... just look at all those free online editors etc.

I did not switch from Adobe to Serif because of the price, i switched from Corel to Serif because Corel ruined Paintshop.

What are you using now?

Magix Video Deluxe. I just ask for an Affinity Video Editor because Serif maybe could add more more intuitiv workflows/features. They already did with Designer/Photo in comparision with the others...

2 minutes ago, Komatös said:

The reason is simple. The V1 was unlocked with a serial number, which was like an invitation to a free banquet for pirates.  

Online verification made it more difficult for pirates to use the software without a valid license. 

It took hackers a couple days to break Adobe's online activation/verification crap when CC first came out. New versions take the same or less time.

If someone wants into your house, locks ain't gonna do it. Locks only keep honest people honest.

6 minutes ago, Komatös said:

I bought my V1 software from the Mac store, as I'm sure many others did, so I don't even have a copy of the install. If they remove V1 from the Mac Store, then that one's no longer available for new devices/reinstalls as well.

While I think Serif/Canva will eventually become subscription, I don't know this for a fact.

A company is going to do what it's gonna do. There isn't anything users can do to change it overall. I've seen user-based pressure campaigns fail more often than not. Even ones that "succeeded" achieved only partial success which was still not on par with the previous status quo.

1 minute ago, monzo said:

If they remove V1 from the Mac Store, then that one's no longer available for new devices/reinstalls as well.

It was already removed from the Stores, as far as new purchases are concerned. But it's still available for you in your list of purchased apps.

(Except for some users who are in regions where Apple has apparently removed the V1 apps completely.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

After binge-reading the forum threads and comments on youtbe for half the day yesterday, and almost getting depressed, I'm glad that Serif has come back here with a few more statements. Although I can fully understand many of the comments and fears.

But: The last statement from Serif makes me feel quite confident, ultimately the future and common sense will show where the journey will take us. Now that I have migrated all my work data to Affinity, I would be happy not to have to switch back to Adobe ;-)

1 hour ago, AffinityMakesMeSad said:

This pictures say it all - almost every Serif staff will not survive this storm, just Ashley and his friend that have gotten some floatingwests…

And ironically an AI illustration.

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

My latest messages of yesterday had a drastic turn (not that I saw it so negatively as a few did, at least not so much, but I initially thought that it was not looking good), before these statements and important clarifications being published. This confirms that bit of light I saw yesterday, finally. That after a first negative impression, I started realizing that this is not what we have seen happening to other companies (as many as I have seen fall). Meaning, I quite started seeing that the communication was made in good faith (at least the part that comes from Affinity team), and that the good plans for the future are honest and real (call it intuition, but I think he was sincere). Yes, this needs a leap of faith, or call it "trust", if you prefer, but I am convinced that they have gained this trust, with all what they have accomplished to this point (with whatever the bumps in the road, as they were always a small company). One way or the other, they have provided us with a fabulous suite, and I have personally been able to do professional work with it for years, like many of you have, too. And others have been able to practice their loved hobby, with very powerful, easy to handle, flexible tools and an amazing UI.

BTW, Canva has mostly its market in very casual users, much more than Affinity's (professionals and advanced hobbyists), in the large numbers. We're talking about two quite differentiated user targets, different markets. One of the reasons (but not the main one) why I think it does not make sense for any company to stop the Affinity line. I bet the user base (future consumers of next perpetual license upgrades!) is pretty large at this moment. And its name is strong in many reviews, publications, tutorials, courses, etc. And knowing how this mass of people got here fleeing from the subscriptions, it only makes sense that also perpetual license (as an option) is here to stay. Corel and Celsys (Clip Studio developer) understood that, and they kept both the product line and the type of license (as an option). The "optional" thing is pretty smart. Why lose those sells? As the number of people disliking subscriptions is pretty large. Companies can have both.

I am convinced Affinity is not going anywhere, as in, not stopping being updated, neither becoming "subscription-only". As I mentioned yesterday, this is what Clipstudio made, and like a week ago or so I updated to 3.0. Despite everyone and their dog saying it'd become full subscription, back in the day, with CSP 2.0 release, when things changed there, too. And as I also mentioned, this also has kept happening with Substance 3D Painter (even now being Adobe's) on Steam.  Corel does this since a very long time, although their perpetual license of the Corel Draw suite is many times more expensive than Affinty's suite (and I would argue that Photo-Paint (or even PSP) is way below in the feature set (and UI) compared to Affinity Photo). But they have kept that for many years, now.  And this team (Affinity team) and company has proved to be ethical, in many of their actions (during the covid, with constant help for designers and artists, etc).

So, I believe all people liking the Affinity tools should stick around, this is here to stay, and improve (a lot).  I firmly believe it.

[  I for one keep having the huge issue with Canva having a generative AI tool (full illustration generation from scrapped artwork. I'd be totally fine with just AI features), among other more standard functionalities and the heaps of stock art (that's fine, IMO... artists were paid to provide with those! ), it has the equivalent to a "Midjourney" or "Dall-e" inside of it: The only ONE reason why I might leave here (yet to decide it, though). If so, was good to know all of you, people. My one remaining issue is that aspect of Canva (but "it is what it is", that can't change), due to principles, as an artist, not with the Affinity team. Neither with their plans about Affinity; I think they are being sincere ].

I hope people stay, or a big portion at least, and you all keep doing work with these great tools and helping (I promoted Affinity for years, everywhere :) , and helped here all I could with the 2.0 bumps in the road) a true professionals and advanced hobbyists alternative to "the cloud". 

There are times when personal commitment is more important than a cold contract, in my opinion. That and all what they have provided with for many years.

My 2c.  ;)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Personally I greatly appreciate Ash's post and the pledges offered by both Affinity and Canva. Whilst there will always be doubters, and nothing is ever certain, to have such a statement issued as a show of mutual understanding and good faith is very encouraging, thank you Ash. One thing's for certain, you certainly wouldn't have seen such a gesture from Abode.

I feel more assured to continue my Affinity journey now.

One thing you can bank on: the next major release of Affinity (if there is one) will be stuffed with "AI" features.  And I'm guessing 'raw' processing of camera files will go over the side as photographers are shown out the back door...

32 minutes ago, NBG said:

If so the vector/photo editor market is also "overcrowded"... just look at all those free online editors etc.

I did not switch from Adobe to Serif because of the price, i switched from Corel to Serif because Corel ruined Paintshop.

Magix Video Deluxe. I just ask for an Affinity Video Editor because Serif maybe could add more more intuitiv workflows/features. They already did with Designer/Photo in comparision with the others...

Affinity is aimed at the serious amateur, semi-pro and pro market.  Neither VideoPlus or Magix Video are.  Besides, the competition is a lot of Free stuff on both Mac and PC.    Including iMovie and Resolve. Resolve being a professional package.   If you need to move up there is FCPX and Resolve (Studio) that are not expensive.

The problem is that Resolve (the paid one) and FCPX  is a single payment and that is it.  You even get the new versions.  V19 in a few months. So you are going up against two industry leading professional system that are inexpensive and not subscription.

Affinity's time would be better spend elsewhere.  A LOT of people have been asking on this very from for a DAM or Light-room-Bridge from Affinity. That would connect between the three current apps.   A video editor would be separate to them.  

A lot of people who moved from Adobe to Affinity are still holding on to the last perpetual version of Lightroom or paying the subscription for it.

www.JAmedia.uk  and www.TamworthHeritage.org.uk
[Win 11  | AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]

23 minutes ago, jimh12345 said:

One thing you can bank on: the next major release of Affinity (if there is one) will be stuffed with "AI" features.

I have no issues with "AI" features (content aware stuff, filters, etc). Only with full illustration generation from scrapping art all over internet (without permission to use it to build the tools). Not really excited about such features, anyway, as it's usually a loss of control while a lot of that is better made with good techniques, and these AI features also so often make people skip achieving the best skills, but that's just an opinion.  

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

I hate Canva so much. Sure, they "democratized" design, and now there's even more horrible design assaulting the eyes. They have an uphill battle to fight to win over professional, high-end designers.

I would honestly go to Adobe before admitting I use a Canva product. Fix that market perception, Canva. Adobe says professional (if stodgy and stuck up) and Canva says amateur and unconsidered. Change my mind, Canva.

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

I understand this is a good financial move for you guys at Serif, but for us designers, it's awful news. I've been a strong supporter and promoter of Affinity due to the quality of its products and the non-subscription model. I've bought both V1 and V2 and left Adobe behind for good. With this new Canva scenario, I have the feeling that all of that will be gone, since Canva is not a professional design tool; it's meant for people with no design skills or knowledge. I've seen this happen before when Adobe bought Macromedia; it killed a suite of great tools. And that was Adobe, for heaven's sake! I don't want to imagine what Canva would do to Affinity. So sad... 

For those of you who might be interested, there are couple of decent design software for mac users:

• Amadine (an Illustrator-lite like)
  • Pixelmator Pro (very decent Photoshop alternative)

And some decent open source tools:

• Inkscape (alternative to A. Designer and Illustrator)
  • Krita
  • Gimp

Pledge does not mean much to me to be honest. Google XSI for example. After bunch of pledges Autodesk killed it overnight. I heard similar pledges for other 3D app I use and 5+ years after acquisition they are struggling to survive. Everything was ok first year, than all of the sudden ceo, and  some devs were exited.  From pledge to be perpetual now there is sub only. If 10% of devs, that started developing that app, work now I would be surprised.  Now this does not mean same will happen to Affinity, of course. But thing is that now everything is driven by profit investors expecting. Things can change overnight and none of the pledges are followed at that moment ...

3 minutes ago, PaolaB said:

since Canva is not a professional design tool;

And that's exactly why Canva made a deal with Serif. With Serif's expertise, Canva also wants to win over professional designers.
If you have little experience in an area, it's easiest to buy this experience rather than spend a lot of time developing it yourself.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

8 minutes ago, PaolaB said:

since Canva is not a professional design tool

And isn't that why Canva showed interest in an Affinity product? Just look at their statement.
So why would she liquidate this investment of hers?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

37 minutes ago, SrPx said:

And this team (Affinity team) and company has proved to be ethical, in many of their actions (during the covid, with constant help for designers and artists, etc).

This Team has nothing to decide anymore. Canva is deciding and I don't trust them further than I can throw a truck...

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

2 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Define "decent".

Inkscape is the gold medallist in the ugliest most confusing interface competition. The competition was only held once because it really is in a class of its own for absolute horribleness. Krita is good. Gimp also has a butt-ugly interface.

Decent as in what you are able to do, performance. Yes, open source tools have an ugly interface but that doesn't mean they have a bad performance. In any case that depends on what do you need them for, I guess.

6 minutes ago, Komatös said:

And that's exactly why Canva made a deal with Serif. With Serif's expertise, Canva also wants to win over professional designers.

Well, the fact that it's Canva who acquired Serif is why professional designers are going to jump ship. Time will tell.

On 3/26/2024 at 8:22 AM, animositysomina said:

we do offer a subscription, it will only ever be as an option alongside the perpetual model, for those who prefer it.

The only question is whether Affinity will offer a subscription in the future? I have bought a lot of brushes for your software. Especially on the Ipad, I am not willing to pay any subscription fees. I have purchased your software twice (v1. & v2). You say there are no plans for subscriptions at this time. But just wait until the Canva bosses change their minds, because greed is a virus in upper management. RIP, Adobe Alternative. 

IMG_6137.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

And isn't that why Canva showed interest in an Affinity product? Just look at their statement.
So why would she liquidate this investment of hers?

Sure, but if you are a professional designer, you probably won't use Canva.

Ah yes: "pledges". Like the ones given when Zbrush was acquired by Maxon. Did not take long to conveniently forget about those after one slender release. Then full subscription.

Or past pledges given by Maxon and Autodesk. Or Adobe. Or Unity...

Pledges by companies mean NOTHING in contexts like this one (buyout).

Where were these pledges when the buyout was announced? Right, not on their minds. The community rears up in arms in response, which is utterly predictable.

Management and ex-owners of Affinity don't feel good about themselves. "People are mad with us!" "Look at all that negative publicity! Oh no!"

So "pledges" are conceived and published to allay public fears of the populous. Now small part of loyal user base quiet down and help quiet down most of the unrest. "Have no fear, friends! Management has explained that there is nothing to fear! All will be well!"

Two years later the first release without perpetual. And/or bloatware. And/or hardly any worthwhile updates anymore.

We will see. If history taught us anything so far: these pledges mean NOTHING. Only ACTIONS. And these actions so far have been...

disappointing.