You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

• Staff

Affinity Publisher sneak peek! Just to prove we're not making the whole thing up, check out this early build of our DTP app. Still lots of perfecting to do; expect the beta next summer. Enjoy.

Update: I think we have answered all the questions we can about Publisher before the beta starts. Hopefully the public beta will answer any remaining questions when it starts at the end of August.   

This thread is now locked. 

20 minutes ago, TonyB said:

expect the beta next summer

We were previously led to expect the beta this winter and the retail version next summer! Oh well....

Edit: I've just seen the 'patience' hashtag on the Twitter page. LOL.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

Well, I guess this is a good Topic for comments from @Petar Petrenko, @MikeW and some others with publishing experience.

Looking forward to test the Beta. :)

Best regards!

Well, I'll either await a more comprehensive video shot dead-on (and preferably a longer one and closer to real-life speed), or more likely, I'll await the beta before* making comments other than...Thanks, Tony!

*Which I'll likely break that at some point. And...Serif doesn't solicit comments from the peanut gallery (of which I am a standing member) before things are set in stone anyway.

Fantastic!!!

Thanks guys for the sneak peek. You are on the right way. If you add IDML import...

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

20 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Well, I'll either await a more comprehensive video shot dead-on (and preferably a longer one and closer to real-life speed), or more likely, I'll await the beta before* making comments other than...Thanks, Tony!

*Which I'll likely break that at some point. And...Serif doesn't solicit comments from the peanut gallery (of which I am a standing member) before things are set in stone anyway.

Yeah, it would be hasty to come to conclusions with just this sneak peek, but I hope Serif takes into account the experience you guys have. That'd be would for everyone.

Best regards!

Really good news at long last, thank you, a question at this early stage, will the UI be available in both light and dark?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X. Nvidia GeForce RTX3060 64Gb Ram
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3235) Home
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for iPad Pro 10.5  • iPad OS 17.3.1

15 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

Yeah, it would be hasty to come to conclusions with just this sneak peek, but I hope Serif takes into account the experience you guys have. That'd be would for everyone.

Best regards!

Hi Mithferion,

Features are features and whatever features are included initially I am pretty certain they will grow over time. I am also pretty certain that Serif has its own concept of work-flow and this concerns me as much or more than even eventual features. Related would be the how things work. For instance, one of my biggest hopes is that the text style scheme in APub isn't like how AD is presently. And swatches. I think they need an overhaul in AD.

I have little hope these things (and more) will be changed when APub hits (or ever, really). Sounds rather pessimistic, doesn't it?

That doesn't mean I won't be a purchaser. I will be. How much it is used, or to what extent by me personally, simply depends on both features and work-flow.

Mike

The small sample looks wonderful!  I hope you will find a way to import PDF files and convert them to Affinity Publisher files so they can be worked on.  Either that, or permit import of InDesign files that can be worked on.   Also, be sure to allow TT fonts, and PS fonts.  This is going to be another WINNER!!!  Cannot wait to get it.  I would accept a half-Beta!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

@AtelierCunha what would you do if Affinity didn't exist? :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• Staff
1 hour ago, MikeW said:

For instance, one of my biggest hopes is that the text style scheme in APub isn't like how AD is presently. And swatches. I think they need an overhaul in AD.

The swatches will have an overhaul and Dave has made some changes to text styles for 1.7 but not sure if that's inline with your thoughts.

Just as many others, I am very excited for this. I'm not up there with my work yet, but it is plan to create and sell books and hopefully get a small business going, so this will come great for my workflow. Designer, being the main program I use, I am very happy to see that Publisher has a very similar look (tools and main toolbar).

56 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

@AtelierCunha what would you do if Affinity didn't exist? :)

Shhh! How dare you say that.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!