You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Apps: All
Platforms: macOS, Windows and iPad

We have now added a spiral tool which is available from the shape tools flyout. This is something we have had many requests for, but also varying requests as to the type of result wanted. For that reason we have tried to make this as flexible as possible, both offering different types of spiral and variables to adjust.

When you create a spiral you will see from the context toolbar the different options available. Here are some examples of what you can create with the tool:

Spiral Type: Linear

image.png

Spiral Type: Decaying

image.png

Spiral Type: Semi-Circular

This type replicates the way many people have been creating a spiral in Affinity - effectively by joining decreasing semi circular arcs together.  With this type we also offer a counter Semi-circular option which returns the spiral back on itself:

image.png

Spiral Type: Fibonacci

image.png

Spiral Type: Plotted

image.png

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

A really really cool new addition, thank you... :)

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Waited a long time, but now it's here, the spiral tool.👍👍
Initial tests with the new tool are promising.

Thanks to the Serif team.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3527)

@Ash wonderful  news! Quick question: is there any chance to have a TRUE PHI-ratio spiral tool option (in contradistinction to the Fibonacci option which is an integer approximation) ?

By TRUE spiral, i mean a spiral that is CONTINUOUSLY changing its rate of expansion/contraction, not just at periodic intervals like 90 degrees etc, but continuously along every point on the spiral… 🌀 

Thanks for all you do!

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

31 minutes ago, Return said:

Nice additional tool.
To bad it only has context toolbar options and none on canvas like other quick shapes.
The presence of nodes suggests as such but it would only draw a new spiral.

+1 for on-canvas shape controls (not only Context toolbar)

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff
48 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

@Ash wonderful  news! Quick question: is there any chance to have a TRUE PHI-ratio spiral tool option (in contradistinction to the Fibonacci option which is an integer approximation) ?

By TRUE spiral, i mean a spiral that is CONTINUOUSLY changing its rate of expansion/contraction, not just at periodic intervals like 90 degrees etc, but continuously along every point on the spiral… 🌀 

Thanks for all you do!

Yes - the construction for a Phi spiral would be fundamentally different to Fibonacci.  The Fibonacci we build from the centre following the sequence.  A Phi spiral would be a constant scaling from the outside.  I'll have a think.

Actually - try using the Decaying spiral, set "Decay per segment" and use 100-(100/phi) for the Decay value. I could probably add this as a preset.

We do have a continuous spiral - it's the plotted one.  Each point is correctly placed.  Currently it's line segments only (though you can increase that to add accuracy).  If I can figure out the maths for correct(ish) curve segments I'll add it.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

1 hour ago, Return said:

Maybe like so:

This looks nice, and it has more options than the Spiral found in Inkscape.

Hope it's added since I can see the benefits.

By the hope, hope I can participate in this Beta run,

Best regards!

+1 for on canvas shape controls also.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

• Staff

I can look into on-canvas controls, but not all values/properties can be easily represented with a control point.  

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff
54 minutes ago, prophet said:

Nice tool.

Is there much call for the "Semi-Circular" spiral? I get that it's a recreation of the workaround people have been using, but with a true Linear spiral, I can't see a use case for it. The double-back option is nice. Could that be added to other spirals as well?

Yes, because it is the only curved spiral that finishes in the centre of the shape - all other curved spirals have a non-centred end.  The plotted one achieves this (currently) at the expense of it using straight lines to link the procedurally placed points.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

On 10/24/2023 at 3:21 PM, Ash said:

When you create a spiral you will see from the context toolbar the different options available.

Very intuitive to use. I love it!

12 hours ago, Return said:

it only has context toolbar options and none on canvas like other quick shapes.

Yes, those red dot handles would be nice.

41 minutes ago, earl_grey said:

"Create Spiral" CTRL+left mouse click

Got confused by "ctrl" first, but for the record, it's cmd-click on Mac.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

44 minutes ago, earl_grey said:

in Windows version, some buttons and options are clipped

On Mac there are actually symbols inside the buttons, not text. Text appears only as tooltip.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Brilliant, a super useful addition to AP.

Would love to see a jitter / randomization feature added to it so each node is slightly jittered from its defined position.

And perhaps a separate segment feature so each segment is a curve which can then be moved independently ? (though this would end up lots of curves, they could then be quickly re-coloured as well adding different strokes and stroke settings to them as well as different effects etc to each

• Staff
29 minutes ago, Andrew Buckle said:

Would love to see a quick way to convert the stroke into a fill so you then get a proper filled spiral ?  Workaround being a selection for the layer and just filling that (is there another way ? ) 

filled-spiral.png

Expand Stroke does exactly this already!

image.png

Fun fact:
Copying a Spiral from v2.3 to a v2.2.1 document will keep it as a "Spiral" object, albeit altering the curve slightly. And with no options to manipulate the spiral any furter apart from the standard options available for any vector shape.

So apparently some basic spiral support was already present in v2.x under the hood.