You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copy / Paste Layer Effects

• Staff

Hi Dams,

You can do that already. Just copy (ctrl+c) the object with the style/effects you want and then go to Edit -> Paste Style or press shift+cmd+v

All the effects applied to the source object will be copied over to the new object.

The problem with that method is that it pastes over, not only the Effects but the style AND the effects.

So, if I only want to copy the effects, we should have a Copy/Paste Effects.

For example, if I have an object with a red fill and a 4 pt green line and I apply it a drop shadow effect, if I want to copy just the drop shadow to another object that has a gradient fill and no line, it is not possible right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

It seems that pasting text-styles is not working (as I would expect). For instance if I copy a text element with a 23pt text size, pasting it to another text element will not apply that size.

How would you do that? I also tried the "Create style" but I guess I do not understand using that one...

• 5 months later...

It isn't possible in AP and in AD to copy only layer effects, like a shadow effect, from a vector object to other vector forms, it overwrites also the color of the object. Would be nice to see a feature like in PS, where we can copy only effects to other layers. That's a really important function.

• 1 month later...

Hi Dams,

You can do that already. Just copy (ctrl+c) the object with the style/effects you want and then go to Edit -> Paste Style or press shift+cmd+v

All the effects applied to the source object will be copied over to the new object.

Hello MEB and Affinity Team,

About this feature, would it be possible to simply Alt-Drag the "fx" icon from a layer to another to duplicate the effect? Also, just moving the "fx" icon should just move the effect to another layer. Photoshop has this feature since a long while.

Thanks guys!

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...
9 hours ago, mattgolfs said:

Doesn't work. It shows in the layer column that the effect has been applied but it doesn't show on the object.  :(

Sorry to hear that it isn't working for you. I've been using it with the Mac version with no problems (including the latest release but I haven't used it with the last beta yet). Which version are using (Windows or Mac and which release number too)? If you are having problems with it, you should log a bug report in the Bugs thread. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/27/2019 at 1:50 AM, Boldlinedesign said:

When I use Shift-Command-V to copy the stroke effect to another stroke, it works, but it reduces the size of the stroke to a smaller size that is not either the old or the new stroke size. Why would it be doing this?

It's a confirmed bug and should remain broken for a while.

I reported it a year ago and: Yes, it is really annoying and makes no sense.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471