You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Apps: All
Platforms: macOS, Windows and iPad

A new QR Code tool is now available from the shapes flyout in the toolbar, making it easy to add a QR code to your documents. 

After creating or selecting a QR Code object you will find a 'Payload' option in the context toolbar. Here you can type whatever URL you want the QR code to link to when it is scanned.

image.png

image.png

You can insert line breaks in your payload by using the CMD/CTRL + Click on canvas dialog

image.png

In addition to URLs you can use other syntax as detailed below to have the QR code trigger other functions when scanned by a device:

SMS

Payload structure: SMSTO:number:text message
Eg. SMSTO:07513123456:Hello mate!

GEO location

Payload structure: GEO:lat:lon:height
Eg. GEO:40.71872,-73.98905,100

WIFI credentials

Payload structure: WIFI:S:ssid;T:type;P:password;;
Eg. WIFI:S:MyWiFiSSID;T:WPA;P:MyPassW0rd;;

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• Staff

Known Issues in this feature
A list of unresolved issues for this feature, reported by users

• AF-2759 - QR code - no warning when 2953 charcter limit is excedeed
  • AF-2781 - QR code - Does not support multi-line input for vCard (.vcf), VCALENDAR and VEVENT (.ics) URI

Released Fixes
A list of issues for this feature, available in the current beta build

• AF-2767 - QR Code - shape does not update on payload change

Upcoming Fixes
A list of issues for this feature, which will be available in a forthcoming build

This one will save me a lot of time! THANKS ! 😍

Windows 10 21H2 -  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz - 16,0 Go - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

Is there a complete list of all the Payload structure options available for QR Codes, e.g., email, MMS, vCard etc., or is it restricted to URL, SMS, GEO Location and WIFI?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

I think this will be very usefull for those who have Vulcan Machines with the latest firmware where the machine read the printed QR code and search for the respective cut file in a folder. I will test it and give feedback later. Thanks

Edit: Yes the machine read and recognize the QR Code and cut the file correctly. Nice addition to me. Before i have to jump between Affinity and Corel to do that.

Is there any chance to extend QR code generator to work with selected text?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Unexpected. I mean the fact, that this feature was implemented so rudimentary. Not very comfortable to type in (long) commands into a tiny field, when you know little to nothing about the structure of a QR code. Maybe this feature will be enhanced one day.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

1 minute ago, joe_l said:

Unexpected. I mean the fact, that this feature was implemented so rudimentary. Not very comfortable to type in (long) commands into a tiny field, when you know little to nothing about the structure of a QR code. Maybe this feature will be enhanced one day.

A pop-up dialog is essential for the feature to be used by more casual users. I could easily see frustration with the current implementation.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Hangman said:

Is there a complete list of all the Payload structure options available for QR Codes, e.g., email, MMS, vCard etc., or is it restricted to URL, SMS, GEO Location and WIFI?

URI schemes are not QR code specific. The QR code just makes them "readable". It's up to whatever app/tool reads the QR code to handle the URI.

The official registered ones are available here > https://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes/uri-schemes.xhtml, but I'm sure there are many other unofficial ones. 

8 minutes ago, Gabe said:

It's up to whatever app/tool reads the QR code to handle the URI.

I think what is being suggested is that the popup box where the URI is entered have a few tabs to build some of the common schemes for the user so that the user doesn't need to work out the encoding for all of them.

For example, iQR (on the App Store for the Mac), in addition to the URL option (which they label "WWW"), has tabs for Phone (enter a phone number), SMS (phone number and message), eMail (to address, subject and body), Map (enter an address and it looks it up using Google Maps or some other map service), Contact (first/last name, phone number(s), email address, web page, street address), Calendar (event name, when, where, etc.), PayPal/Bitcoin/SEPA payments (account, description, price, etc.), WiFi (network name/SSID, password, encryption type, hidden?), and Text.

image.png.c08276eeb93262cd51877a55b6683286.pngimage.png.09ab54da935bfb2f3c95ff8e03dcf2ae.png

It also provides an interesting range of formatting options to spice up the appearance of the generated codes:

image.png.93b8b12e4dfba14913621be5f32458fd.png

Granted that this range of formatting options is probably a bit out of scope for a program that is not specialized in producing QR codes, but still thought I would point it out.  The more important thing to consider is to throw in the forms for a few of the common URI schemes.

May i refer to as thread that I started in the Share your work forum please?

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/169391-language-independent-signs-for-art-galleries/

Will the QR code system that Affinity has implemented allow production of a QR code of text such as those that I produced at another website for use in those signs?

If not, can provision for a QR code of text become included please?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

Here it is how InDesign organized QR code generator:

InDesign_1.png

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

1 hour ago, vonBusing said:

I tried to enter multi-row VCARD data in the payload field and got a resulting QR code, but the phone would not recognize it as such: "no usable data found".

Try...

MECARD:N:Cook,Tim;ADR:One Apple Park Way, Cupertino, CA 95014, United States;TEL:+14089961010;TEL:+17702313820;EMAIL:tim.cook@apple.com;URL:https://apple.com;NOTE:”How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood? He would chuck, he would, as much as he could, and chuck as much wood as a woodchuck would. If a woodchuck could chuck wood.”;;

MECARD:
N:Cook,Tim;
ADR:One Apple Park Way, Cupertino, CA 95014, United States;
TEL:+14089961010;
TEL:+17702313820;
EMAIL:tim.cook@apple.com;
URL:https://apple.com;
NOTE:”How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood? He would chuck, he would, as much as he could, and chuck as much wood as a woodchuck would. If a woodchuck could chuck wood.”;;

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Some issues on Mac here:

1. the popover panel should not float above the modal dialog (even though the latter is movable)
  2. descenders are cut off with UI Large Font (a.k.a. what's a Cateqorv…?! O.o)

ade25b_qr_bugs.png.48c3f26f236b411ee16aef32a56302c4.png

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

3 hours ago, fde101 said:

The more important thing to consider is to throw in the forms for a few of the common URI schemes.

I agree. Having some kind of 'QR-Code builder assistant' would be helpful.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 4/12/2024 at 1:54 PM, Ash said:

Apps: All
Platforms: macOS, Windows and iPad

A new QR Code tool is now available from the shapes flyout in the toolbar, making it easy to add a QR code to your documents. 

After creating or selecting a QR Code object you will find a 'Payload' option in the context toolbar. Here you can type whatever URL you want the QR code to link to when it is scanned.

image.png

image.png

In addition to URLs you can use other syntax as detailed below to have the QR code trigger other functions when scanned by a device:

SMS

Payload structure: SMSTO:number:text message
Eg. SMSTO:07513123456:Hello mate!

GEO location

Payload structure: GEO:lat:lon:height
Eg. GEO:40.71872,-73.98905,100

WIFI credentials

Payload structure: WIFI:S:ssid;T:type;P:password;;
Eg. WIFI:S:MyWiFiSSID;T:WPA;P:MyPassW0rd;;

Great @Ash. Is their any chance of a more fully featured Barcode tool for book covers?

• Staff
40 minutes ago, Archangel said:

Barcode tool

This thread is not for feature requests and barcodes are unrelated to QR code as far as implementing them, so this doesn't help advance Barcodes, sorry.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

What? We shouldn't have to worry about or look up syntax – that's something the software's user interface should handle for us (including validation and error checking), isn't that what the gear button is for (when it works).