You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 4/28/2024 at 4:38 PM, Aurea Ratio said:

@serif Yes, I'm also a bit unsure about what possibilities this tool offers (when released), but for me, it will be important to be able to place an image in the middle of the QR code, like a logo or symbol, that gives the QR code a greater or more visible affiliation with a product or company, or where the symbol provides a better idea of the purpose of the QR code and makes the QR code appear more personal.

As far as I can see, you can already do that. A QR code comes with some level of redundancy and can work even if some parts are masked. Here I added a white circle with a diameter 30% of the QR code side and it still works as expected. Maybe, if control over the correction level is enabled, the available surface for a symbol could be optimized. (Ref @Hangman's post also covering this)

And, as @Peter Werner suggested, if this is a recurring need, it can be made reusable as an Asset.

QR_CentralIcon.png

On 4/29/2024 at 8:58 AM, Gabe said:

You can in 2415. While the payload field in the context toolbar does not accept soft/hard returns from a keyboard input (for now), you can either paste text with hard/soft returns in that field, or you can use the CMD/CTRL + click on canvas. That payload field does allow them :) 

Nice! multi-row VCARD data works nicely now.

1 hour ago, vonBusing said:

As far as I can see, you can already do that. A QR code comes with some level of redundancy and can work even if some parts are masked. Here I added a white circle with a diameter 30% of the QR code side and it still works as expected. Maybe, if control over the correction level is enabled, the available surface for a symbol could be optimized. (Ref @Hangman's post also covering this)

The example you provided contained 26 characters out of the 47 character capacity in the version 2 QR code. What happens if you tried to nearly fill it up then cut out the circle?

1 hour ago, vonBusing said:

And, as @Peter Werner suggested, if this is a recurring need, it can be made reusable as an Asset.

Thanks for the tip, but it's not something we can use. We don’t buy design software with QR functionality to have to resort to the level of hacks and workarounds as if it were open-source software. I can find QR functionality for free everywhere that does the same thing. Affinity is commercial graphic design software that should be able to do more than just implement someone else's work from GitHub and put a UI on it. I expect some level of Serif alleviating the burden on creative professionals, and I expect much more than an open-source frontend.

17 hours ago, Aurea Ratio said:

I can find QR functionality for free everywhere that does the same thing.

Agreed. It is a nice to have, but how does this basic implementation that's available everywhere already get prioritized over everything else that could have been done? Seems there are so many other areas requiring attention still neglected. For example, the spiral tool is still unfinished, being able to reverse the curve and use brushes properly would probably have been less effort to address. Also, still waiting for just one of my bugs submitted over many years to be fixed. Any one of those would have provided me greater productivity improvements.

• Staff

The issue "QR Code - shape does not update on payload change" (REF: AF-2767) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.5.0.2430".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Affinity Info Bot to notify us.

Not going to lie, I've been hoping for this for awhile, but there's one thing I've noticed in testing. There is no way to incorporate data merge into the payload system. Is this something we should expect, or will payloads have to be entered in manually until otherwise stated?

Hardware:
Processor    AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor                 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB
Graphics: Nvidea 1660 8GB

Art examples: 

http://MadMaker.redbubble.com

Hi @lastingMadness,

This has been raised already... and this was the feedback from Patrick...

On 4/20/2024 at 3:49 PM, Patrick Connor said:

Data Merge is not part of this feature, but we understand that it's likely to be a priority for implementing a way to achieve it

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2463)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

• Staff

The issue "QR code - no warning when 2953 charcter limit is excedeed" (REF: AF-2759) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.5.0.2437".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Affinity Info Bot to notify us.

11 minutes ago, Affinity Info Bot said:

The issue "QR code - no warning when 2953 charcter limit is excedeed" (REF: AF-2759) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.5.0.2437".

Massive spill chucker fail!! :D

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

The issue "QR code - Does not support multi-line input for vCard (.vcf), VCALENDAR and VEVENT (.ics) URI" (REF: AF-2781) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.5.0.2437".

• Staff

We have added a new UI for the QR code tool in 2.5.0.2437, and changed the way you add data into it. When you click on "Data" field on the context toolbar you will see a new popup dialog which has a few presets for common schemes.

image.png

If you want to use a URI scheme that's not in the list, you would have to use the "Text" preset.

image.png

We have also added form validation. If you see a warning icon, hover over it and it will tell you what's expected to be in that field. 

image.png

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• Staff

Known issues in #2437 (added to the known issues post )

• AF-2959 - QR code - wifi preset missing ; between Encryption type and password field
  • AF-2987 - QR code - Edit QR code > Invalid fields don't have a tooltip on iPad
  • AF-2985 - QR code - Edit QR code is too short on iPad

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Windows 11, beta 2.5.0 2437 - QR-Code URL is not recognized as valid.

This URL is my valid homepage: https://www.4d-image.de/

But the Dialog claims it as invalid URL and i can not confirm with OK. I think you didn't take into account "special" characters like minus "-".

image.png.23cb6bbc162f2562dc908ea48f023ee4.png

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3447, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22688.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

32 minutes ago, Ash said:

We have also added form validation. If you see a warning icon, hover over it and it will tell you what's expected to be in that field. 

image.png

The ‘+’ sign in front of the country code is pretty standard, as far as I’m aware. Couldn’t it and any leading zeros be stripped out automagically instead of invoking a warning? :/

Side note: When referring to ‘(‘ and ‘)’ it would be better to call them ‘parentheses’ to avoid potential confusion for US English speakers. The ‘-’ sign is a hyphen, not a dash.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, 4dimage said:

Windows 11, beta 2.5.0 2437 - QR-Code URL is not recognized as valid.

This URL is my valid homepage: https://www.4d-image.de/

But the Dialog claims it as invalid URL and i can not confirm with OK. I think you didn't take into account "special" characters like minus "-".

image.png.23cb6bbc162f2562dc908ea48f023ee4.png

I just checked what the encoding should be for that. I know it should just recognize it, but out of curiosity, replace the hyphens with %2D.  That should be workaround.

Hardware:
Processor    AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor                 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB
Graphics: Nvidea 1660 8GB

Art examples: 

http://MadMaker.redbubble.com

When I delete the code and then create a new one, all the old information remains in all the field types I created before.
Is there any way to reset this?

16 minutes ago, lastingMadness said:

I just checked what the encoding should be for that. I know it should just recognize it, but out of curiosity, replace the hyphens with %2D.  That should be workaround.

No way ;-)

I think, if our DENIC accepts my domain name as is - Affinity should also do that 🙂

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3447, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22688.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

A couple of queries re vCard Validation...

• Entering an email address completely hides the QR Code on the canvas/page until one character is entered after the full stop for the TLD, i.e., you have to have entered at least '.c' or '.o' etc., for the QR code to show which is a little offputting... Would '@' not be a better validator for email addresses?

• Entering a URL completely hides the QR Code on the canvas/page until two characters are entered after either the first full stop if using www. or if not using www the second character after the TLD (which is also inconsistent with the email address validation.

Note: this isn't the case when editing the QR Code details, i.e., you can delete the address to a place before the full stop and the QR code is still visible.

• The text entered in the Notes section for a vCard is justified instead of ranged left when entering and editing the text.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2463)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

• Staff
17 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The ‘+’ sign in front of the country code is pretty standard, as far as I’m aware. Couldn’t it and any leading zeros be stripped out automagically instead of invoking a warning? :/

Well... maybe. But the WhatsApp help specifically states the link should be formatted as described in the tooltip. See https://faq.whatsapp.com/5913398998672934 You could argue that it strip leading zeros, but that leads to this next problem:

15 minutes ago, anto said:

There is no validation for phone and sms

There is no standardised format for phone numbers, so validating it isn't really feasible. Even if I tried to validate against some common formats (I did initially), there are many locale-specific rules and conventions that don't follow them, but are valid in certain regions. I felt it best to leave it up to the user to get it right. Going back to WhatsApp, I could strip zeros, but then should + be stripped too? What about spaces? The automagic could significantly change the number. I think the most sensible approach is to validate against the official WhatsApp spec.