Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

1 hour ago, Petar Petrenko said:

You can make a first class comedy film what I did to import it. :D

It would be interesting to hear how you managed it, Petar, but I think there have already been too many off-topic posts to this thread! Perhaps you could post the story somewhere else: ‘Learn and Share’ might be a good place, since you would be sharing the details and the rest of us would be learning from that. ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows 1.10 • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.10 • Designer for iPad 1.10 • iPadOS 15.6 (iPad Air 2)

I'd say if we are indeed off-topic: who cares? There are forums all around us that are graphics-oriented and they are waning. Seriously; tolerance and a sense of humour will make the Affinity boards thrive.

And yes, magazines are published, and in a way diskettes contain data, similar to magazines, QED not off-topic!

BTW, everyone: If you're a mom, Happy Mother's Day. And if you are the product of a mom, or have a mom, wish them a happy day. And because this forum contains carefully laid out content, I'm just self-publishing here...

Happy Mother's Day tg.jpg

I'm really stretching it, aren't I?

new-AD-slug.png.458b94d5dc178383711ce27afd725aae.png

^^ This. Fully subscribe every ...er....Author Author?  opinion, here... :D

While is rare as a week with two Thursdays that I wouldn't fully agree with Alfred, here I'd say I never got to absorb that aspect of the internets... When am at a conversation in real life, it would not be myself if I'd told anyone, hey, cut it, you are being off topic ! ;D .  Of course, I'd understand to keep stuff on-topic is very helpful for later on users looking for stuff... But this is a thread that is for informing Affinity users that we are getting such a wonder as APub. We know now, we're just keeping it alive, hehe. :D Anyway, people is so extremely interested in APub that new questions about how will be this or that, or... please, Serif, force the earth traslation to be faster (don't be lazy!!!) , so that the Summer comes sooner  kind of comments will pop up again....endlessly...till summer. And after it (for new features, etc).

We're just adding some color to it :P

About what the audience really really cares about... yup, I had a whole book of Z80 assenbler code, as BASIC games were too limited, I tricked the stuff with the RND function (and redefining the key letters to make the tiles/sprites previously drawn in grid paper...), and could make a timing that faked game interaction.... but the assembler stuff scared me to no end... hehe.  All those large strings of alien numbers and letters....  If that had looked like Python, I'd be a game programmer, today... Which is even more scary.

AD, AP and APub. Windows 10.  Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1650 4GB, 500GB m.2 SSD, 1TB HDD 7200rpm, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L.
Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420, NEC Spectraview 231, Huion Kamvas 22.

Spoiler: This is not in the least iota related to APub, so yes, it is unapologetically off-topic. But I, for one, and I will guess most of the folks who read these musings, enjoy them immensely. It is these side trips that add character and color to this forum.

Speaking of assembly code, I recently learned that another incredible software project for artists, FL Studio by Image Line. uses assembly language and Delphi for most of their graphics processing (https://support.image-line.com/action/knowledgebase?ans=114). Having the ability to bypass the usual high-level APIs gives them the ability to precisely control the operation and feedback of even the tiniest user interactions. Because of that, the responsiveness and fluidity of the app is legendary in the DAW community; it also accounts for why their porting of FL Studio to Mac has taken an excruciatingly long time; does this sound familiar, anyone? :)

The Affinity suite of products has the most fluid and responsive experiences I have ever seen, and this makes me wonder if they are using the same approach in their codebase. It would go a long way toward explaining both the level of performance, as well as the time it takes for development.

EDIT: Here is another wonderful review of this software: https://machow2.com/fl-studio-for-mac-review/. It is SO refreshing to see companies like Serif and Image Line who actually care about the user experience of their masterpieces. :x

2 hours ago, Tia Lapis said:

Guys stop spamming everyone’s mailbox. This is a forum thread and no irc. 

Why not simply ‘unfollow’ the topic, or set the ‘follow’ option to “Do not send me any notifications”? Having posted to this thread, you can easily check for new content via the ‘Content I Posted In’ activity stream.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.10 • Designer for iPad 1.10 • iPadOS 15.6 (iPad Air 2)

16 hours ago, Alfred said:

Why not simply ‘unfollow’ the topic, or set the ‘follow’ option to “Do not send me any notifications”?

Because it is more uncomfortable for some people?

For topics such as this one that gets more than a regular amount of activity, I have my notifications set to one email per day. Busy topics did used to get redundant in my mailbox, but it can be adjusted.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Yup. I'm in the Mac App Store frequently, and I picked up on that too. It won't be long until that happens will Publisher, eh?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

24 minutes ago, Sam Neil said:

Summer 2018 in Northern Hemisphere will begin on

Thursday, 21 June

So APUB sometimes in June/July?

Summer doesn't END until September B|xD

Affinity Designer 1.10.1 & beta 1.10.5.1342 (RC2)   Affinity Photo 1.10.1 beta  1.10.5.1342 (RC2) Affinity Publisher 1.10.1 beta  1.10.5.1282

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H2

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz   3.40 GHz

32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)

Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B85M-D3H (SOCKET 0)

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)

yoda.png

5 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Being a pesimist doesn't help anybody. :)

That’s a very pessimistic view! xD

Alfred spacer.png

20 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Being a pesimist doesn't help anybody. :)

Just the facts ... 

Autumn 2018 in Northern Hemisphere will begin on

Saturday
September 22
and ends on
Friday
December 21
All dates are in Eastern Time.

AUTUMNAL EQUINOX 2018: FIRST DAY OF FALL

WHEN IS THE FIRST DAY OF FALL 2018?

LOL pound 1.GIF

Autumn Forest Road.jpg

Affinity Designer 1.10.1 & beta 1.10.5.1342 (RC2)   Affinity Photo 1.10.1 beta  1.10.5.1342 (RC2) Affinity Publisher 1.10.1 beta  1.10.5.1282

32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)

yoda.png

11 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Autumn 2018 in Northern Hemisphere will begin on

Saturday
September 22

That’s astronomical autumn. Meteorological autumn begins three weeks earlier. stirthepot.gif

Alfred spacer.png

22 minutes ago, Alfred said:

That’s astronomical autumn. Meteorological autumn begins three weeks earlier. stirthepot.gif

Nope. The seasons are based on astronomical

Yes happy-rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)

yoda.png

5 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Nope. The seasons are based on astronomical

Er ... last time I checked, seasonal changes were determined by the weather. That’s meteorological, isn’t it?? :P

Alfred spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Er ... last time I checked, seasonal changes were determined by the weather. That’s meteorological, isn’t it?? :P

Could we get some of what you are smoking? 

download.jpg

LOL troll-face-meme-smiley-emoticon.gif

32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)

yoda.png

16 hours ago, VIPStephan said:

Serif should specify a Unix timestamp. Although that would lock them to a specific time while the current statement is vague enough to keep us peasants busy speculating while they go on vacation, laughing about our mediocrity. :D

Doesn't Europe go on vacation for a month in Summer?