You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

35 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

cfurlin, you might want to change your subscription to "monthly" with the option to cancel anytime in August.  ;o)

Often enough it pays to switch when the yearly us about to stop. Many/most of the customer service people will give a better deal to keep it going. Same with even doing another year rental. 

22 hours ago, cfurlin said:

Well, that's convenient. My Adobe subscription agreement runs out at the end of August. I need that replacement for In-Design before I can dump them. MAKE IT HAPPEN! ;)

This is why SUBSCRIPTION based software sucks!  I will never support a company that uses the subscription model.  We need to say NO to subscriptions by voting with our wallets and not supporting these subscription companies. Don't subscribe to their software if there is a good alternative for you.  I am happy to say that my business has been subscription free for over two years now and I don't miss the subscription software.  We still get the job done and our customers are very happy.

On 5/1/2018 at 10:36 AM, Jens Krebs said:

cfurlin, you might want to change your subscription to "monthly" with the option to cancel anytime in August.  ;o)

I can’t. It’s a yearly plan that I agreed to pay monthly. When I signed up, for some reason I didn’t notice the month-to-month option. If I cancel before my year is up, they charge me for all the remaining months left on my agreement.

32 minutes ago, cfurlin said:

I can’t. It’s a yearly plan that I agreed to pay monthly. When I signed up, for some reason I didn’t notice the month-to-month option. If I cancel before my year is up, they charge me for all the remaining months left on my agreement.

Even if APub is out in June as a beta, I doubt it will be production ready by August anyway. And whether it meets your needs is an unknown, even after release. 

^^ Same. It was first introduced to me when I was in college. It was way over my head, and it certainly didn't have an easy learning curve.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

QXP is much better than ID, but ID is better organized (menus, palettes, measurement palette...).

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

I quite liked ID when I used it in CS, CS2, CS3 and CS4. It was QXP I had issues with. I found ID esp its earlier versions a souped-up version of PageMaker.

Of course, with Adobe's rigid subscription based CC, I left and went over to Corel for a few years. Gave Affinity a chance around 3 years ago as Corel went down the subscription route AND effectively increasing their prices by publishing a new version every year rather than every two yet keeping the same pricing structure.

25 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

QXP is much better than ID, but ID is better organized (menus, palettes, measurement palette...).

Hello Petar,

I've been very impressed by continuous improvements to QXP over the years.

The 2018 edition appears to be another stupendous upgrade particularly because it'll finally have a cross platform scripting language.

However, I wouldn't agree with you that it's much better that inDesign. I tried to use QXP for long document production but it still far behind indesign. I'm sure that in time it will catch up but as the things stand now, it's not better than inDesign, sorry. :-) 

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

1 minute ago, Seneca said:

Hello Petar,

I've been very impressed by continuous improvements to QXP over the years.

The 2018 edition appears to be another stupendous upgrade particularly because it'll finally have a cross platform scripting language.

However, I wouldn't agree with you that it's much better that inDesign. I tried to use QXP for long document production but it still far behind indesign. I'm sure that in time it will catch but as the things stand now, it's not better than inDesign,, sorry. :-) 

Would you be so kind and explain it deeper, please.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

indesign is able to thread text into text frames according to paragraph styles. In other words it uses paragraph styles as sentinels to stop filling the text in a given text frame and automatically moves to the next text frame. You can also instruct each text frame to apply paragraph styles to the text as it's being filled. As far as I am aware you cannot achieve that with QXP (I may be from of course).

This is just one example and there are more.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

Do you mean you set the option in paragraph styles to start paragraph on next/odd/even page/column? If so, the aswer is YES. QXP doesn't have this feature.

No, I don't mean that.  

For example you are working on a diary. You create a paragraph style called Date. This date entry, say 25 May 2018 and each consecutive Day entry should start in a new frame.  It doesn't matter whether this frame is on the same page, the facing page or the following page. It doesn't matter whether you have 1, 2, or 4 of these frames per page. What matters is that this paragraph style acts like a sentinel that tells the program to stop filling the text in this frame and move on to the next frame because it has encounter Date paragraph style. I realise that my explanation may not be adequate. Sorry.

21 minutes ago, Seneca said:

This date entry, say 25 May 2018 and each consecutive Day entry should start in a new frame.  It doesn't matter whether this frame is on the same page, the facing page or the following page. It doesn't matter whether you have 1, 2, or 4 of these frames per page. What matters is that this paragraph style acts like a sentinel that tells the program to stop filling the text in this frame and move on to the next frame because it has encounter Date paragraph style.

In other words, the paragraph style can include a frame break (forcing the text to be placed in a new frame, in much the same way as a column break forces the text to be placed in a new column). Is that what you mean? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

23 minutes ago, Seneca said:

No, I don't mean that.  ...

Better, like beauty, is often in the eye of the beholder. Your's is a special use case example. I got one, too...

There are things that Q can do that cannot be natively done in ID, too. For instance, running headers/footers that are tied to longish paragraph or character styles. Q can wrap running headers, ID still cannot without jumping through the hoops of scripting, plug-ins, or formatting multiple character styles and running header instances.

BTW, (Oh, Alfred's reply came in...yes, Alfred, that's what is meant. A style can be set to begin in the next frame.), I nearly always use tagged text as a source no matter what the original comes as (which is generally Word files anyway). In Q (and I do this in ID as well) when I want text to be forced to a new frame, I insert the tagged text command to do so. All automated of course.

As regards calendars/date books, most of mine are pretty automated. I do a fair amount of Leporello calendars. I rarely need to touch the files once ran in. I would do the same with your style of date book.

I think the list of features one can do in one application versus the other is somewhat a red herring (exception being core features...). There are often, even within one application, various ways of accomplishing things.

11 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Better, like beauty, is often in the eye of the beholder.

12 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I think the list of features one can do in one application versus the other is somewhat a red herring (exception being core features...).

"Core features", like "better" and "beauty", often means different things to different people! ;)

14 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I do a fair amount of Leporello calendars.

I'm probably not the only one here who has no idea what a Leporello calendar might be. Care to enlighten me, Mike?

Alfred spacer.png

36 minutes ago, Alfred said:

In other words, the paragraph style can include a frame break (forcing the text to be placed in a new frame, in much the same way as a column break forces the text to be placed in a new column). Is that what you mean? :/

Precisely that. Thank you.

30 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Better, like beauty, is often in the eye of the beholder. Your's is a special use case example. I got one, too...

There are things that Q can do that cannot be natively done in ID, too. For instance, running headers/footers that are tied to longish paragraph or character styles. Q can wrap running headers, ID still cannot without jumping through the hoops of scripting, plug-ins, or formatting multiple character styles and running header instances.

BTW, (Oh, Alfred's reply came in...yes, Alfred, that's what is meant. A style can be set to begin in the next frame.), I nearly always use tagged text as a source no matter what the original comes as (which is generally Word files anyway). In Q (and I do this in ID as well) when I want text to be forced to a new frame, I insert the tagged text command to do so. All automated of course.

As regards calendars/date books, most of mine are pretty automated. I do a fair amount of Leporello calendars. I rarely need to touch the files once ran in. I would do the same with your style of date book.

I think the list of features one can do in one application versus the other is somewhat a red herring (exception being core features...). There are often, even within one application, various ways of accomplishing things.

I didn't mean this to become a beauty contest. I too love certain features in Quark that are not in indesign.

My point was that for long documents I still favour inDesign over Quark.

What I love in quark is the Ticket system where you can set up styles and all and know that you comply with the client requirement specifications.

And of course there are other things in Quark that are not in indesign. I'm fully aware of that. :-)

Best regards

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

"Core features", like "better" and "beauty", often means different things to different people! ;)

Now, the concepts of better, beauty and core features weren't all in the same paragraph much less train of thought as expressed in my post...

Google the Leporello calendars. Easy to design but don't really come to like until printed and or die cut. Most of the ones I create are, well, a bit boring. A few are pretty creative. And that would be someone else's creativity. It might be something from a napkin sketch to a printed/cut example...I just make 'em like the picture.

I do more wall calendars (it's just that the Leporello ones are more like a date planner/book sort of thing and sorta matched the example given). The wall calendars are also an automated thing (is there a theme here?). 

So back to your confounding of my expressed thoughts ;^), for me, automation capabilities are a core feature for daily usage. I fully understand that may not be everyone's need. But I automate nearly everything. 

Just now, Seneca said:

I didn't mean this to become a beauty contest. I too love certain features in Quark that are not in indesign.

My point was that for long documents I still favour inDesign over Quark.

What I love in quark is the Ticket system where you can set up styles and all and know that you comply with the client requirement specifications.

And of course there are other things in Quark that are not in indesign. I'm fully aware of that. :-)

Best regards

No worries! I do love certain features in ID and or how certain features are implemented. My idea would be to mash them all together and end up with one application between them...

I do a lot of books. I use whatever the clients want in return. Some publishing houses want ID files, others want Q files. Never had much issue doing long work in either...But neither hold a candle to Ventura publisher for long documents.

What will be interesting to me is if/when I start getting requests for native APub, AD or APhoto files.

Mike

13 minutes ago, MikeW said:

What will be interesting to me is if/when I start getting requests for native APub, AD or APhoto files.

Mike

Looking forward to that myself, specially AD and APhoto.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

9 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Now, the concepts of better, beauty and core features weren't all in the same paragraph much less train of thought as expressed in my post...

I don't think I said, or even implied, that they were! :)

10 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Google the Leporello calendars.

I tried that earlier and I've just tried again. I got a couple of links to Czech and German sites which don't explain what's special about these calendars, but I mostly got stuff about Don Giovanni's comic sidekick. So I'm still none the wiser. :(

19 minutes ago, MikeW said:

So back to your confounding of my expressed thoughts ;^)

All I did was to mention those three things in the same sentence. As above, I'm not aware of having actually confounded anything. ;)

Alfred spacer.png