TonyB

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

Soooo     Summer is nearly here....   well its allready untypicaly hot in germany..   but what i mean....   will it now sooon get much hotter... thinking of affinity publisher..   beta in summer ?  ...

are we still on track ?....

Maybe we will get double surprise -- Publisher and v. 1.7? :)

Dell Inspiron 7559 i7    Windows 10 x64 Pro
Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M )    16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hard drive    UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display

4 hours ago, Michael Sheaver said:

WWDC is just around the corner (next week), and I wonder...

Shhh.....

If Designer for the iPad might be announced?

:27_sunglasses:B|

You might be on to something (and I hope you are)! 

1 hour ago, Hokusai said:

You might be on to something (and I hope you are)! 

And I hope we see Designer and Ash on stage. :D

Best regards!

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: Hot to do High Quality Art :: Mesh Warp / Distort Tool Considerations

Here's my crystal ball reading.

Next Monday, at WWDC, Serif will introduce Affinity Designer for iPad. We know it's coming, and WWDC would be a great (and almost expected) forum for it to be shown. I wouldn't be surprised if, initially, the files created by Affinity Designer for iPad cannot be opened by the existing 3 programs. In that case, new betas will almost certainly be available, rapid-fire, for Affinity Photo (desktop and iPad) and for Affinity Designer (desktop) in version 1.7. And, I suspect that the file format incompatibility will prove to be caused by the soon-to-be-released Affinity Publisher.

Now, who wants their tea leaves read?

I've been patient for years waiting for Publisher. I've replaced all of my Adobe programs with Affinity and Quark. I HAVE to use CC at work and if you want an example of patience, try using InDesign with it's faults and patches and shortcomings and WAIT for Adobe to fix it. I'd rather wait another year for Publisher than have to use CC for my personal use. Publisher will be amazing and confounding at the same time. I will dive head first upon it's arrival because if it behaves like it's sister programs, it will be a joy to explore, incorporate, and overcome whatever learning curve there may be (years of second-nature use of Adobe interface/shortcuts). Personally, I'd rather the developers take their time. Every time Adobe updates their CC programs, there's always wonderful new glitches and bugs. Thankfully, I'm not responsible for their shortcomings as it's what management has decided is the software of choice.

Personally I find Indesign pretty stable, though I stopped upgrading at CS6. I wonder if the expectations of APub are getting too high. I'm sure it will have some amazing new features but there will be lots missing which ID users have taken for granted over the years. Hopefully it will be the start of a long road though I suspect it will be pretty buggy for a while, like most new software.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

I stopped upgrading at CS5. So I agree, CS5/CS6 is pretty stable. I don't really find anything earth-shattering in CC. Since I picked up QuarkXpress in November, it's been a re-learning curve with a lot of pleasant surprises. I think it's going to be the same way with APub. There are some things I miss in Quark that are part of InDesign, but nothing that can't be resolved or find a solution for, and for my personal reasons and beliefs, I won't ever subscribe to Adobe software (or any software for that matter).

I jumped ship at PSCS 5; after looking at 6, I didn't notice a significant difference to bother. InDesign is fine, after being forced into it when it killed off Adlus PageMaker in 1585. It's overkill; too much I have no use for, including the system overhead.

g

new-AD-slug.png.458b94d5dc178383711ce27afd725aae.png

51 minutes ago, dannyg9 said:

I stopped upgrading at CS5.

I still have CS6 at hand and use it when needed. It is a good backup. But most of my work I do with Affintiy. And am happy with it.

d.

Affinity Designer 1.8.5 (beta 1.9.2.997)   |   Affinity Photo 1.8.5 (beta 1.9.2.997)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.8.5 (beta 1.9.2.998)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.8.4   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.4

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

41 minutes ago, AuthorAuthor said:

... when it killed off Aldus PageMaker in 1585.

A bit of hyperbole there, methinks! PageMaker was only introduced in 1985, so even the mighty Adobe would have found it a bit difficult to kill it off 400 years earlier. :P

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows 1.9.0 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.9.0 • Designer for iPad 1.9.0 • iPadOS 14.4 (iPad Air 2)

On 5/14/2018 at 11:05 AM, Jan Gaare said:

I also agree to the demand for indesign compability, or else its more or less a hopeless switch for designers.

Regards JAN

Dear Jan, it would mean that AP is taking over all the sh*t that you exactly want to avoid by leaving InDesign (ID).

I made the switch from Illustrator to AD and I haven't had any regrets. I know, AD reads AI-Files, but not when they're native, only when they have PDF-compatibility. I doubt that taking over such a complex format as ID's would work fine. So instead of making it badly, I suggest not to make it at all.

Most certainly an exaggeration, Alfred! An attempt at humour. Let me revise, "I used PageMaker so long ago, it has arthritis..."

Really! I've imported 99% of my user group newsletters into InDesign, but am  mostly flummoxed with the 8.3 naming limitations in Windows 3.1! :)

GARYBOU.TON

new-AD-slug.png.458b94d5dc178383711ce27afd725aae.png

3 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

a bit difficult to kill it off 400 years earlier

It was probably meant no earth years again. ;)

16 hours ago, abra100pro said:

Dear Jan, it would mean that AP is taking over all the sh*t that you exactly want to avoid by leaving InDesign (ID).

I made the switch from Illustrator to AD and I haven't had any regrets. I know, AD reads AI-Files, but not when they're native, only when they have PDF-compatibility. I doubt that taking over such a complex format as ID's would work fine. So instead of making it badly, I suggest not to make it at all.

abra100Pro,

I'm hoping what Jan meant is that, like, QuarkXpress, it would be great if APub were able to import an IDML file. I'm sure many here do not want to face the prospect of rebuilding every file from the ground up. Perhaps Markzware will have a converter available. Maybe not the first version but soon thereafter.

10 minutes ago, dannyg9 said:

...Perhaps Markzware will have a converter available. Maybe not the first version but soon thereafter.

I seriously doubt they will. There are currently no hooks into Affinity applications...no plug-in nor scripting support. Even if Serif provides plug-in support for third-parties at some point in the future, Markzware would likely use the subscription model.

Currently, the only real advice I have is to package your work, include the idml and pdf for each job. This can be scripted in ID and so can run unattended. The PDF route maybe the only means of getting current/past work from ID to APub. That is, unless APub obtains an IDML import.

Once what is needed is packaged as per the above, just do your new work in APub that can actually be accomplished in it. For myself I don't think APub will be able to do all of what I do in Q & ID and could be years away from that. I'll try to squeeze in APub work for those things I can create in it, but I'll still need to use both Q (by client choice and personal choice) and ID (mostly only by client choice) if for no other reasons than for their capabilities versus APub 1.xx to X.xx