You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extremely Disappointed, Existing Customers must Purchase Affinity V2

45 minutes ago, konbit said:

Yeah - but I haven't had to erase them from the computer - so it just says "open". 

That's because it's already installed! If it wasn't you should have the option to install it.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 1:57 PM, _fluffy said:

And Logic is absolutely an outlier in the audio world, too; I can't think of any other software that doesn't require a paid upgrade for a major functionality change.

FL Studio offers free upgrades for life after purchase.  They are much more the odd ones out.

I have never seen a commitment from Apple that they will not eventually release and charge for Logic Pro 11, but so far there are no indications that they will do so either.

On 11/10/2022 at 7:05 PM, Dhillf2w said:

But Affinity, just insulted their entire customer base.

Oh, have they?
And nobody told me?
Alright, sorry to be late to the party, but right now I'm gonna be totally insulted in:

Three…

Two…

One…

Damn.
It didn't work.
Bummer.

I'll try again to be insulted when V3 is released.
I promise!

On 11/10/2022 at 7:05 PM, Dhillf2w said:

Logic

(Logic user since Emagic's v4)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 11/11/2022 at 10:05 PM, Ana-Irina said:

I will gladly support Affinity and pay for their products, because I believe their software is worthwhile and it has saved me a lot of time and frustration. I don't expect to get infinite updates. Affinity doesn't rely on a constant cash influx like Adobe does, so if we use this software and want it to get better, we need to show our support by paying for it. Just like we get paid for design work created using this software.

I gladly support them, I just bought V1. Now they are NOT supporting me any longer. Just post an extra discount code on this thread and all would good. Even a token amount would be appreciated. It's the "thanks for your money, but you are just like anyone else" approach this is miffing folks off.

1 hour ago, Mister Mike said:

Just post an extra discount code on this thread and all would good.

So anyone who reads this thread (even if they have only just become a customer and joined the forum,) would get a discount and other people who have been "loyal" customers for years, but have not joined the forum, would lose out. Yes, that seems much fairer!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

@Mister Mike

The announced free exclusive content you will get for already owning V1  and also having bought V2 is not enough?

we will offer a new free bundle of content exclusively for V1 customers upgrading to V2 as an extra thank you for your support. I’ve seen this suggested by a number of customers and it’s a great idea as it does remove the App Store conflict entirely. 

We’ll need a little time to put something together, but all customers who previously registered or purchased V1 and have since upgraded to V2 will receive a voucher code for this via email as soon as we can.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

I am likewise disappointed! The whole premise and sales pitch of Affinity was that we wouldn't have to keep paying for using the apps, that it was a one-time payment, but now all they need to do to get us to pay again is to add a version number to the apps, and viola, we have to pay again! It sort of defeats the whole purpose.

Not only that, which, fine - maybe after a few years is forgivable, but the fact that existing users of V1 don't get their own major discounts on the V2 of the affinity apps is insane. Sure, there's a 40% 'discount' - but that applies to EVERYBODY - even absolutely new users to the apps, and I'm not seeing any special upgrade pricing for existing users, so basically, loyal customers are getting absolutely NO recognition or favors whatsoever. 

Just to add insult to injury. 

Why should I, a supporter from DAY 1, pay EXACTLY the same for V2 (40% discount, bah!) as new users just coming to Affinity? 

Sorry, but people who think this okay are just gluttons for punishment and might as well just go over to Adobe Creative Cloud where they can get fleeced regularly. 

VERY disappointed. 

@Karmamole

Again, for you, Serif is not a social buying store. Employees, rent, electricity and more must be paid.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

2 hours ago, Karmamole said:

Why should I, a supporter from DAY 1, pay EXACTLY the same for V2 (40% discount, bah!) as new users just coming to Affinity? 

Well now that you say it, as a long time user you should pay more as you had more use from V1...

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

It’s always great for current users to get a discount when purchasing the next software version but, either way, it’s certainly much better than a software provider deciding to ask for continuous monthly contributions. I’m very grateful to Affinity for deciding against taking the monthly ‘rip-off’ approach to charging customers. 

The discussion is missing more and more the point, isn't it? It is very clear now, that Affinity chose this upgrade policy for mere technical reasons. Obviously, it was technically not managable to offer discounts for existing users. Let alone more sophisticated discounts. It is very common, for example, that buyers who purchased a product recently, get much more discount or even a free upgrade. All this was technically impossible, so it seems. This is not great, but acceptable. But why didn't they communicate this properly to existing users?

It's not about the quality of the software. It's not even about the amount of discount. It's simply a very unfortunate communication by Serif that upsets some existing users. It took them several weeks to even say when the offer would end. Really? After I downloaded V2 I didn't even know how much time I would have for testing (AND using the dicsount). That might be ok for new users, but it is absolutely inacceptable for existing users in my humble opinion.

I see people are still complaining about the discount they think they deserved. All I can think is "don't they have something better to do with their lifes?". Let's say you get an extra 10% discount. That's just $20 or so. I just can't wrap my head around all the privileged people that think they deserve more discounts. Stop victimising yourself and get on with your life! Nobody is forcing you to buy V2. If you feel like you're getting ripped off by Serif, just don't buy it and go for Adobe's CC rental.

4 hours ago, ceocan said:

I just can't wrap my head around all the privileged people that think they deserve more discounts.

I don't think that many "complainers" have said this. You might disaggree with their arguments. But please, don't put words in their mouth. Thank you!

I don't understand the fuss, I have enjoyed the convenience of Affinity Photo v1 for over 6 years and have been able to work well with it (despite bugs which have more or less been fixed). In the same time I would have paid many times more with the other company and certainly had the same amount of bugs. It was clear for a few years that with a new main version a payment would be due again, which was also communicated very often by Serif. Now there were even 6 programmes, and the price is lower than the subscription of the other company. So what's the point of complaining?

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, iPad 8, MACOS Sonoma & iPadOS, Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

3 hours ago, j3rry said:

I don't understand the fuss, I have enjoyed the convenience of Affinity Photo v1 for over 6 years...

Good for you. But how about users who bought V1 6 weeks ago? I bought V1 several month ago and paid around 75 EUR using a 50% discount that was available at this time. Now, after less than a year I would have to pay more for the upgrade. Don't get me wrong. It's still a bargain. That's not my point. But it's not the same story, is it? I haven't even known that V1 has been on the market for so long. As I said before, it's more about communication than about the actual price. C'mon, what is so hard about a nice email to all existing customers before announcing: "V2 is out. Purchase it with a 40% discount. But do it FAST! We don't know how long this offer will be available." That is communication hell, isn't it?

Besides, I am not a Pro. I don't use Affinity to make a living. I was still on CS5, but found Affinity an attractive alternative. The main reason was not that CS5 wouldn't do the job for me. But it simply didn't work well anymore with my 4K display. The migration to Affinity has not been easy, to say the least. To make a long story short: While the offer is a great bargain, it is still some money for an amateur like me.

2 hours ago, MKJJ said:

I bought V1 several month ago and paid around 75 EUR using a 50% discount that was available at this time.

150 € ! Either you are confusing this with another software, or you are mistaken about the price, or you have bought from an unauthorised reseller. The price of each Affinity software in version 1 was €54.99 at full price. In version 2, it is €89.99.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

2 minutes ago, Pyanepsion said:

150 € ! Either you are confusing this with another software, or you are mistaken about the price, or you have bought from an unauthorised reseller. The price of each Affinity software in version 1 was €54.99 at full price.

???

54.99 * 3 = 164.97, so at a 50% discount "about" 75 (really, 82 to be more accurate) seems reasonable.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, Pyanepsion said:

150 € ! Either you are confusing this with another software, or you are mistaken about the price, or you have bought from an unauthorised reseller.

Thank you for your kind words, but I know what I paid. It was, as I stated in my post, a 50% discount. Actually, it was 26,99 EUR with a total of 81 EUR. And again: It's not about the price per se.

10 minutes ago, MKJJ said:

it was 26,99 EUR with a total of 81 EUR. And again: It's not about the price per se.

Having said that, version 2 brings a lot of improvements that alone justify the price in my humble opinion.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?