You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Workarounds for Distortion, Warp, or Perspective distort?

40 minutes ago, eobet said:

Also, the McNeel forums (creators of Rhino) have staff answering questions literally every day (I have no idea how they have time/can afford that).

The Affinity forums also have staff answering questions every day. Seldom Developers, as they are busy with coding, etc., but Testers, Quality Assurance, and Customer Support staff members are all over the other forums. Just not, usually, in the Suggestions forum or responding to suggestions in other forums.

They are answering questions about how the products currently work, and helping to resolve bug reports that users have filed.

When they appear in one of the Suggestions forums it is more likely to be to correct some misinformation that has been posted, or a mistaken perception of how something works, in my experience here.You can identify them, if you're reading the forums with a wide enough window, by their designation: image.png.a6868788483e48774a1edc96d0f144f1.png

On a smaller window, less information about the person posting is made available, but the staff members names will be in red (like the word Moderators above) in their posts.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

I've read your posts. I understand your opinions and the difficulties that a company may have in carrying out its products. In my home, however, it works that first you do a job and you finish it and then you devote yourself to something else. I believe that Affinity has decided to carry out many projects without making them totally complete. Why not just focus on one product, finish it and then move on to something else?

All vector graphics programs have transformation tools. The fact that Affinity Designer doesn't have one is not an option but a shortcoming! I understand if you ask for special features but that of distortion is something essential. I can't buy Affinity Photo just because it's not possible to deform graphic objects on Designer! And among other things, the deformation on Affinity Photo has a loss of quality due to the fact that it is a software that works on the bitmap and not on the vectors.

The discontent generated on this matter is that I didn't buy Publisher or Affinity Photo because I don't feel respected as a user. And I think that many people think like me. Not adding this feature will cause many people to decide not to follow Affinity anymore...

Affinity you are warned...

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

On 6/7/2019 at 12:33 PM, GT70 said:

In my home, however, it works that first you do a job and you finish it and then you devote yourself to something else.

I guess the main goal of Serif was/is to release the holy trinity of Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher in a state that works for most people first, and then they can continue to implement the additional features with the advantage that they can implement them for all three programs at once. These are strategic decisions, and they decided to do it in this order, not in the one you prefer. And I’m sure they have a better overview over the customer base and how many users they would gain or lose with a certain strategy.

You’re free to buy AP and APub at any time in the future once the features you desire are implemented.

2 hours ago, VIPStephan said:

I guess the main goal of Serif was/is to release the holy trinity of Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher in a state that works for most people first, and then they can continue to implement the additional features with the advantage that they can implement them for all three programs at once. These are strategic decisions, and they decided to do it in this order, not in the one you prefer. And I’m sure they have a better overview over the customer base and how many users they would gain or lose with a certain strategy.

You’re free to buy AP and APub at any time in the future once the features you desire are implemented.

My friend, there are some features that must already exist in version 0.1. I wrote it above: some things, such as the deformation of objects, ARE NOT options or features to be implemented in the future to satisfy the whims of users but of TOOLS THAT MUST BE EXISTED already in the very first versions. All vector graphics software provides for distortion of text and graphics. Illustrator, Corel Draw, Inkscape, Xara...now I can't think of any more but everyone has this tool. Affinity can create all the software they want but the clear thing here right now is that there are a lot of people asking for this feature and Affinity pretends to be deaf. Now tell me why I should buy more of their Affinity software if they don't meet some of the essentials. And then, in Affinity's projects, is Designer for iPad part of the 3 things that need to work or was it created to take more money from users? I'm very angry that a company that takes my money doesn't listen to me about the things I need as a designer. I repeat, all this is absurd...

Hey... new user testing Affinity, also looking for the definitive alternative to Illustrator. Not only A***e suite is prohibitive expensive, but it has become a slow and unusable Jurassic beast, slowly doing his last steps to the extinction. With latest updates, open any small file can last for 10 minutes, being screen freezes, colour ball spinning, and lagging, the constant norm.

About deformation tools. The only decent ones i remember used, were from my beloved Corel Draw... even in the first 90's, it had intuitive and easy to use tools, that I'm still waiting for Illustrator (by the way, Illustrator "Free distort" tool is an absolute joke)

So, alternatives inside Affinity... just I found an interesting tab capable to adapt any object to an Isometric view. It's not the real solution to "warp", but surely can help to create some technical illustrations. Below the screenshot of the tab options.

Captura de Pantalla 2019-06-12 a les 15.36.22.png

Captura de Pantalla 2019-06-12 a les 15.38.22.png

Hello! I'll also add my voice here for this feature request, a vector distort tool is really a must-have feature.

I had to use LibreOffice to make a simple perspective shift on a vector logo… Worked very well, but I wish this feature was implemented in Affinity Designer.

• 3 weeks later...

On 6/12/2019 at 6:42 AM, Edu Couchez said:

Hey... new user testing Affinity, also looking for the definitive alternative to Illustrator. Not only A***e suite is prohibitive expensive, but it has become a slow and unusable Jurassic beast, slowly doing his last steps to the extinction. With latest updates, open any small file can last for 10 minutes, being screen freezes, colour ball spinning, and lagging, the constant norm.

I sometimes run Illustrator 2019 on an old Microsoft Surface Pro with 4gb of ram. It's your hardware or malware issues, not software. 

I'm also looking for an Adobe alternative. Already buyed Publisher and decided to replace Illustrator & Photoshop too. Since yesterday i'm in Test period for the Designer. Yet for my first artwork on Affinity Designer I'm missing Text disortion/warping.

It's really sad to read, that this tool is missing for years. This tool seems important for a lot of users. Looks like I have to stay Adobe User. Without Text warping it's not possible for me to work with Affinity Designer and without using Designer / Photo, it's not practical for me to work on Publisher. 

Gave a lot of hope on Affinity but this old unsolved thread about the missing tool makes is disappointing. :(

• 1 month later...

Just adding my $ 0.02: I have been an Affinity Hopeful since nearly day one (When AP or AD were just out, but APub was only a distant dream).

I have *just* gone freelance/independent, and have bought the trifecta on Mac AND the DUO on iPad.

AP is *as* powerful as ebodA PS, with *better* implemented solutions to mimic *most* of PS's capabilities, and useful stuff that ebodA PS lacks!

APub is *as* powerful as ebodA ID (of which I am a power user), and the only stuff lacking are some poweruser features I am confident will only be added when they work without bloating the app. (ID's datamerge, GREP search & scripting, eg, that have always felt like a slapdash solution to begin with)

AD *seems* to lag behind, but I feel it is because they *refuse* to adopt the same slapdash way the ebodA crew has worked in the past: AD will probably have these tools in a way they can easily be implemented into AP, APub and the iPad apps. I'd rather they take their time (and we still use these workarounds in other *free* apps) instead of a slapdash solution, that breaks the encompassing vision of true "affinity" between the Affinity apps.

At the moment I still can't open AI in edobA PS or PSD in edobA Illu without "converting" and not knowing what I'm doing… yet my FIVE apps (AP, AD, APub, AI for ipad, AD for ipad) are not only moving steadily towards Zero Bog territory, they interact *seemlessly* for a price that is a *smidgen* of what ebodA evitaerC etiuS would cost me. Spread out across time, I didn't even feel the investment!

Serif is doing fine, and after having stoked the fires about APub for years, I have come to realize they are *better* software managers than most! They already have my dollars, my evangelical disposition, and (probably) my future work. 

I can only repeat above demands for some mesh warp solutions, but have total confidence they will add these when they can do them right.

Geez. As stopped at the term (didn't read farther) had to google edobA, and was having issues seeing the link between a "genus of moths belonging to the family Tortricidae" and graphic software...

Don't worry, edobA, the software giant, already track these threads, is not like they're only having some alerts, some Nazgûls, and some bots to hunt it....

Er... just a random comment, sorry.

I think warp, text on a path, distort and good working expand stroke are a must in a design software. But I'm almost certain they're heavily working on these, or are #1 priorities in their internal plans. Although without 'em, I'm here doing logos (to top client satisfaction, which makes me particularly happy) and other corporate stuff, with no issues. And a warmer, happier feeling with the UI than I had in quite some years with all the flavors of AI, and before Corel Draw and Freehand. Even so, I'm always (but these in all apps: AP, AD, AI, PS...) more concerned about inconsistencies, bugs, reliability problems. I prefer to be sure on what I can count on (indeed, #1 rule in pro workflows), solid PDF export, etc, as ....well... I'm used to highly mixed workflows, 'cause as a game artist, 3D grunt and graphic designer, the I/O is my life. When I have no way to generate a mathematically correct spiral or distribution along a path, warp, or whatever, I go to Inkscape or anything that would provide with it (even a command line tool if needed!), and then import again into AD, which is where am currently more confortable with vectors. But yeah, I bet all these will for sure end in AD. There are others one could be more doubtful about, but IMO, these are just a matter of time.  Seeing their results and apps, I trust their instinct.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

I think you were referring to Adobe IIlustrator CC 2019

Probably also Adobe Photoshop CC 2019

And of course to Adobe Indesign CC 2019

Lets not forget the Adobe Creative Cloud membership.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

10 hours ago, Jowday said:

Lets not forget the Adobe Creative Cloud membership.

Compared to Affinity, Adobe is prohibitively expensive when all you need is print design.

I refuse to pay for a Ferrari, a Tesla, a Caravan, a bike, a Helicopter, AND a Hovercar, when all I needed were a bike and a decent car.

Affinity offers a car and a bike, and gradually you discover they are able to speed when needed, and don't pollute, and when needed, can be used as a van…

Sure it'll never be a helicopter. but why a helicopter (and pay for it) when you never use it anyway! :D

Now just hoping they add a distort function to their car ;)

@duckrabbit   I think he was just adding google alerts/ spider bots' food, as a joke, as the other poster was "encrypting" ebaadodobaA's name. 
My car had a very efficient distort function when I was younger...but all the deforms were made at 10 km/h, while trying to park at impossible places.

(But related to Affinity,  I fully agree with you)

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

22 hours ago, SrPx said:

My car had a very efficient distort function when I was younger...

Not just your car.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

54 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Not just your car.

Yep, my head suffered some distorts, too, but that's another story...

Been loving AD since I got it, and everything I’ve needed up until now has been available. It comes as quite a surprise, then, that I’ve already been stopped in my designing tracks by this missing basic feature for an app being marketed as a professional graphic design solution. Free Transform distort/skew/perspective capabilities. Seems this features been requested for years now. Seems the roadmap isn’t available any more. Have we been left alone with workarounds and raster-based solutions?

Anyway, made this account to scream into the void about a very basic, and very, very missing feature. Criticism for a thing I love, because I love AD. Don’t want to see it stagnate, or fall useless as a design solution so soon. 

Come now fanboy apologists. Come and scold me right.

7 hours ago, Ptolemy said:

Come now fanboy apologists. Come and scold me right.

This message means that you are officially being scolded by me.

Best regards!

3 hours ago, LarrySunshine said:

It has been 4 years, still no tool. But don't worry, it's on the roadmap and Affinity has got it under control! I haven't seen fanboy base cucked so hard...

Fanboys needs to hate something and they need to like something (they can afford). A well known ancient tribal lifestyle. Creating and billing must be secondary to them.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, ffca said:

This and a replacement for the transformation panel are two HUGE features that are needed constantly. 

May I ask what you mean with 'replacement for the transformation panel'? What do you miss there?

9 hours ago, ffca said:

And fixing the stroke expansion...

FIY, this has been adressed in one of the latest betas:

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil