You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Variable Font Support

4 hours ago, kenmcd said:

@Hangman There is a single font version of Shantell Sans in the repo.

Rather than two separate fonts, Roman and Italic, it also has an Italic axis in the one font. IIRC it's v1.009. On my phone at the moment, but I can post the font or a link tomorrow if you do not find it.

Based on what @AffinityMakesMeWonder said above about the similar issue with the Italic axis font, it may be good to compare the similar version of Shantell Sans with an Italic axis.

EDIT: May want to scratch that idea. Remembered GF gave up on Italic axis fonts and now requires two separate fonts. Too many problems. 

And IIRC it was either Helvetica Now variable or Avenir Next variable which came out with both - a single font with Italic axis, or two fonts. And they quickly withdrew the single font version. (can check this tomorrow to be sure) 

Affinity may also have problems trying to make single fonts with Italic axis work.

I’ll confused here - is that really a single variable font on the market that offer both regular and real italic?

I understand that almost everyone here knows what an italic font is, but, I meet some people that think that italic is just an regular font with some angle on it - so, is that a font that offer real italic and regular in one file (a real cut italic)?

Happy guy playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typographic, photographing, Color & forms, AND, old Synthesizers from the 1980-1990’s…

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021 connected to an 32” curved 5K external display, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015 - also an Lenovo iMac i7 clone with 24” touch screen and Windows 10…

8 hours ago, kenmcd said:

Rather than two separate fonts, Roman and Italic, it also has an Italic axis in the one font. IIRC it's v1.009. On my phone at the moment, but I can post the font or a link tomorrow if you do not find it.

But, to be honest, Shantell isn’t cut like a real italic font, just a regular font slanted…

Happy guy playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typographic, photographing, Color & forms, AND, old Synthesizers from the 1980-1990’s…

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021 connected to an 32” curved 5K external display, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015 - also an Lenovo iMac i7 clone with 24” touch screen and Windows 10…

3 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeWonder said:

I understand that almost everyone here knows what an italic font is, but, I meet some people that think that italic is just an regular font with some angle on it - so, is that a font that offer real italic and regular in one file (a real cut italic)?

It's possible to create a single variable font file that contains both roman and true italic glyphs, and changing the axis value will result in a change of the shape of certain glyphs such as "a" or "g" at the halfway point of the slider. Most of the Google fonts have a separate font file for italic, it's up to the font designer.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.5, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

With Variable Typefaces,

can we have opinionated styles definitions, something like our own custom "Fonts" per Typeface, e.g.:

• brand medium-slim
  • super fat
  • sweetspot extended
  • sleek semibold
  • slightly-italic
  • optical-thin

… which we can then directly apply just like named Font traits

image.png.8e428e3478f52edc88fdbcf892b56b4c.png

in Paragraph Styles, Character Styles etc., mixing them with these

• per main-axis font styles / stops
  • or axis-combinations when there's a modifier (or secondary) axis like "optical" or "descender" involved

and save like Document Color palettes or like Gradient Stops, per document or for the entire application (e.g. for recurring brand application), possibly as part of a sort of Design System collection?

image.png.9ed5037ac7fe3def409fa01937523314.png

Doing this with Character Styles may work in a very limited way, but doesn't provide the composition capability needed for extensive Typography and Paragraph Styles.

6 minutes ago, Viktor CR said:

can we have opinionated styles … ?

Call me opinionated if you like, but I don’t think styles can have opinions! As far as I’m aware, you can only be opinionated if you’re human. 

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 5/3/2024 at 3:33 PM, Hangman said:

Feature Request...

Would it be possible to add a similar feature to filter by True Type, Open Type and Variable Fonts to the Text Style Editor via the adjacent dropdown, i.e., add 'Variable' to the list which already includes 'Recent' and 'Favourite' and ideally add the same filter option now available in the Context toolbar to the font dropdown in the Character panel... 

Like this suggestion  Web Fonts are on the list but not variable font!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 0.2463 (RC1)
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Thanks for the changes... much better!
The improvements to the Font Selection Area are great. much easier now to distinguish between font types...Saves adding the variable fonts to Favs so I know what is installed!...Caught me out though with the filter | s.. thought my favs had disappeared for a sec!.

Is it possible to add a background option to the open panel like you have with assets (with white | light grey or other)?
Sliders are working much better

The Whole process is much more intuitive now looking and feeling much better!...
Agree with @Hangman concerning variable Fonts being missing from the Text Style Panel (Character | Font Family >Dropdown)..it would be useful to have 'Variable Fonts' on the list

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 0.2463 (RC1)
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

While adding variable font support is awesome, would embedded font support for editing coming?
This is big downside of Affinity as a PDF editor.
Adobe can handle embedded fonts for editing, which makes PDF handling easier.

7 minutes ago, ashf said:

While adding variable font support is awesome, would embedded font support for editing coming?
This is big downside of Affinity as a PDF editor.
Adobe can handle embedded fonts for editing, which makes PDF handling easier.

Embedded font support for PDF editing would be very welcome, of course, but that is wildly off topic for a thread about variable fonts.

Alfred spacer.png

I don't know if this has been covered but I've noticed that when you filter your list of fonts by variable fonts, not all of your installed variable fonts are listed. I've got several installed and I can use them and interact with them as variable fonts but they're just not appearing in the filtered list. (MacOS)

58 minutes ago, good_mourning said:

I don't know if this has been covered but I've noticed that when you filter your list of fonts by variable fonts, not all of your installed variable fonts are listed. I've got several installed and I can use them and interact with them as variable fonts but they're just not appearing in the filtered list. (MacOS)

I have not seen that happen on my Mac, but it might help if you could tell us which ones are not appearing, & their version numbers.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

I have not seen that happen on my Mac, but it might help if you could tell us which ones are not appearing, & their version numbers.

I don't know how to find out the version numbers (of the fonts I assume?) but here are some examples of ones that aren't appearing: Open Sans, Inter, Playfair Display, Lora. 

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 8.26.28 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 8.26.01 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 8.27.19 PM.png

48 minutes ago, good_mourning said:

I don't know how to find out the version numbers (of the fonts I assume?) but here are some examples of ones that aren't appearing: Open Sans, Inter, Playfair Display, Lora. 

I can't tell from your screenshots but if you are on a Mac you can use Font Book to get the version numbers.

Aside from that, how & where on your system did you install the missing fonts?

EDITed to add: It looks like from your middle screenshot that the filtered list needs to be scrolled to see the other variable fonts. What happens if you put the pointer in the list & run it up or down?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

12 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I can't tell from your screenshots but if you are on a Mac you can use Font Book to get the version numbers.

Oops!

11 hours ago, good_mourning said:

10 hours ago, R C-R said:

Alfred spacer.png

On 5/4/2024 at 1:22 AM, AffinityMakesMeWonder said:

I’ll confused here - is that really a single variable font on the market that offer both regular and real italic?

Yes. The Italic axis is supposed to be On or Off, not a varying angle.
So when it is On, the glyphs can be completely different, like a true italic.
Roboto Classic variable has an Italic axis that operates with this On/Off switch.
Urbanist variable (from repo) has an Italic axis that operates with this On/Off switch.

Some fonts call it an Italic (ital) axis, but it is really a Slant axis (slnt).
Shantell Sans v1.009 from the repo has an italic axis in the one-font version of the variable font, which is really a slant axis.
In a Slant axis the angle is completely variable, and may even go backwards.

As I mentioned above, it is hard to incorporate the single-font variable Italic axis into the application. Not impossible, but would have to work very differently behind the scenes.
With two separate variable fonts, Regular & Italic, you can actually press an Italic button and have it do what you expect.

In an application programming API this distinction does not really matter.
But to an end-user in an application interface where they expect things to work in a familiar predictable way, it can be a concern.

On 5/3/2024 at 8:58 PM, kenmcd said:

And IIRC it was either Helvetica Now variable or Avenir Next variable which came out with both - a single font with Italic axis, or two fonts. And they quickly withdrew the single font version. (can check this tomorrow to be sure) 

It was Avenir Next variable.
In the single-font version, the Italic axis is the expected On/Off axis.
But that single-font version is not available on MyFonts anymore.
It kinda disappeared fast.

Hard to make them work.
GF now encourages (requires) two fonts.

• Staff

The issue "Variable Fonts - Geologica Font not responding to Cursive axis" (REF: AF-2893) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.5.0.2437".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Affinity Info Bot to notify us.

On 5/6/2024 at 1:27 PM, good_mourning said:

Judging by the positioning of the 'Cv' and 'Heart' icons, your screenshot suggests the list is scrollable but you have scrollbars set to 'When Scrolling'... having said that, the missing fonts would appear alphabetically so I would expect to see Open Sans, Playfair Display and Lora in your list...

Note the positioning of the icons when the list is scrollable and non-scrollable (on Windows). I'm assuming the same is true on Mac?

image.png.fc98bca168106c97e927b078f4683c3e.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2463)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

Issues with the Font Variation Panel on Windows...

I'm unsure if this relates specifically to 'Decovar Alpha' but I'm seeing intermittent issues when displaying the Font Variations panel, invariably after having first selected that particular variable font...

Font | Available Axes
Roboto Flex | 5
Bahnscrift | 2
Decovar Alpha | 15
Geologica | 4
Nunito Sans | 4
Source Sans | 1
Source Serif | 2
Whoa Spine | 4
Whoa Top | 4

Panel 1
Note how 'Decovar Alpha' shows all 15 axes, then only 1 axis, 2 axes then 5 axes...

image.thumb.png.a110feda7f3fad0c1d3a6ea5d5567851.png

Panel 2
Note how 'Geologica' shows only 2 of its 4 axes, 'Bahnscrift' shows both axes but on a full-height panel background, i.e., the height taken by 'Decovar Alpha', 'Whoa Spine' only shows 2 of its 4 axes then 'Whoa Spine shows all 4 axes again on a full-height panel background...

image.thumb.png.e02355d167a5db989e16b280d0446539.png

Panel 3
Note how 'Whoa Top' only shows 2 of its 4 axes, 'Source Sans 3' shows its 1 axis on a full-height panel background, Source Serif 4 shows both its axes on a full-height panel background and 'Roboto Flex' shows its 5 axes shows its 1 axis on a full-height panel background...

image.thumb.png.f69655421f2ee203ac1da3d3d5b0fd8b.png

Panel 4
Note how 'Roboto Flex' only shows 2 of its 4 axes, 'Nunito Sans' shows its 4 axes on the correct height panel background but then on an extended but not full height panel background and then on a full-height panel background...

image.thumb.png.223fcd4570f54664b951c54dd514544c.png

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2463)

1 minute ago, Pauls said:

looks like the axes panel is getting sized incorrectly at times - logged

Hi @Pauls,

That seems to be what is happening, though it certainly appears to be an intermittent issue, as in, it isn't happening all the time but thanks for logging...

• Staff

We are adding an option so that you can choose if you want to see the font Axes which are hidden (for all fonts). So the plan is that by default you see what the designers chose for you to see, but other hidden axes can also be shown via an option. This change is NOT included in this week's beta build (which is coming soon) but we thought you would want to know.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

This change is NOT included in this week's beta build

Thank you and just as an aside I really love the weekly beta releases. I hope this will continue for as long as possible.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

The right hand side font type identity icons and buttons is a great idea that's gonna be super useful - is there any chance of this making it through to the missing font replacement family list when opening a document or PDF? - also being able to type the first couple of letters of the font you want to replace the missing font with still doesn't work as expected which is a PITA when you have a large font library to cycle through

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.4.3 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.3, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.4.0 Betas 2.5.0(2430)

www.bingercreative.co.uk