You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Variable Font Support

• Staff
5 minutes ago, Pauls said:

could you pop a test document up please @MikeTO

It may be that earlier beta documents aren't correctly stored/saved and the correct axes won't show. We'll investigate with your file

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Now here's something I didn't spot before. All this talk of Variable Fonts - and how do you spot them in your font list?

I finally stumbled on it. Probably been there for years, but I know I'm not the only one because I've seen the question asked before.

On the Mac at least, and on Windows, but NOT on the iPad in Affinity Photo, it looks like this.

Variable fonts are marked with a V inside a C, and ttf with a T, and non variable Otf with a bit O. 

Most allow you to Favourite them with the heart - some don't. I've no idea why that is.

Cool.

Screenshot2024-05-03at14_47_36.png.918b7769c4b3ecaed9ba28367749b4ca.png

iPad Mini 6.  256GB. My GoTo design platform.

M2 Mac Mini. 24GB. LG 4K Monitor. + Samsung Monitor 2.

Windows 10 Toshiba. Windows 11 Parallels on Mac.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS. FCP, DaVinci, CapCut, Luma Fusion. etc.

@Affinity-Inspiration on YouTube.

1 minute ago, Affinity-Inspiration said:

Now here's something I didn't spot before. All this talk of Variable Fonts - and how do you spot them in your font list?

I finally stumbled on it. Probably been there for years, but I know I'm not the only one because I've seen the question asked before.

I believe that was added in today's beta.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.5, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

40 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

If you open the variations popup for text that is formatted with a hidden axis (because you imported text that was formatted as such, or in this case, formatted it with the previous beta), some of the regular axes disappear. On the left is Roboto Flex Regular and on the right is text formatted with YTLC - the order of three axes is changed while Grade and Slant are missing entirely.

Screenshot2024-05-03at9_23_33AM.png.a2590acfa3486da9657d7ea846ce56db.png Screenshot2024-05-03at9_24_18AM.png.b20a4cd00369e21bd326dc1c3ef0688f.png

Oops, I was being stupid. Left is Roboto, right is Nunito Sans. Excuse me while I take another look at this.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

1 minute ago, MikeTO said:

I believe that was added in today's beta.

Well I'll be... that's pretty cool then. I do hope it makes it into the iPad. That would be really useful.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS. FCP, DaVinci, CapCut, Luma Fusion. etc.

3 minutes ago, Affinity-Inspiration said:

I finally stumbled on it. Probably been there for years, but I know I'm not the only one because I've seen the question asked before

This is indeed new to this Beta, note also the additions at the top of the font dropdown menu which now allow you to filter by True Type, Open Type and Variable Fonts which is an excellent addition...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2463)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

4 minutes ago, Affinity-Inspiration said:

Variable fonts are marked with a V inside a C

I thinking you’ll find that it’s actually a V overlaid on an O. ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Oops, I was being stupid. Left is Roboto, right is Nunito Sans. Excuse me while I take another look at this.

There's no problem here, sorry for the confusion. If text is formatted with a hidden axis then all hidden axes appear. Here's an example doc.

hidden axis.afpub

1 minute ago, Hangman said:

This is indeed new to this Beta, note also the additions at the top of the font dropdown menu which now allow you to filter by True Type, Open Type and Variable Fonts which is an excellent addition...

Bonus. I love it. No more scrolling around in the dark hoping for the best.

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I thinking you’ll find that it’s actually a V overlaid on an O. ;)

picky picky 🙂

6 minutes ago, Affinity-Inspiration said:

On the Mac at least, and on Windows, but NOT on the iPad in Affinity Photo, it looks like this.

3 minutes ago, Affinity-Inspiration said:

Well I'll be... that's pretty cool then. I do hope it makes it into the iPad. That would be really useful.

2 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Add me to this list of those who are keen to see the iPad apps brought up to date.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

The sliders are correct and as expected for both fonts...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2463)

6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Add me to this list of those who are keen to see the iPad apps brought up to date.

I was just looking at how to request this myself, but I'm starting to see double... been here too long today.

So am I still the only one to always see all 13 axes in Roboto Flex?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I'm no longer sure where I should be reporting/following bug reports related to variable fonts, but I just checked in the new 2430 beta & the crash still occurs if a Font Book collection includes variable fonts & that is selected in the Character panel.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

I've got 5. Always just had 5. on Mac. and 5 on Windows 11, and 10. And the Same on the iPad.

Feature Request...

Would it be possible to add a similar feature to filter by True Type, Open Type and Variable Fonts to the Text Style Editor via the adjacent dropdown, i.e., add 'Variable' to the list which already includes 'Recent' and 'Favourite' and ideally add the same filter option now available in the Context toolbar to the font dropdown in the Character panel... 

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I believe on Mac, yes but I still see all 13 on Windows in the Text Style Editor but I don't believe that was an expected fix for this release...

1 minute ago, Hangman said:

Would it be possible to add a similar feature to filter by True Type, Open Type and Variable Fonts to the Text Style Editor via the adjacent dropdown, i.e., add 'Variable' to the list which already includes 'Recent' and 'Favourite' and ideally add the same filter option now available in the Context toolbar to the font dropdown in the Character panel... 

Yes, as well as the new icon about font type that just got added to the main font dropdown. Please also add that to the font selection in the Text Style Editor. That’s where I pick fonts most often, and currently there is no way to tell the difference.

Could anyone on Mac confirm whether they still see this issue in the latest Beta... I don't believe it's been logged yet so curious to know if the issue is resolved...