You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Are footnotes and endnotes currently possible (besides manually creating them, of course)? I haven't found them so far.

If not, this is a feature that I think would be widely used. I suspect it may take some time to get right if it is not yet under development, so I would understand if it is not a day-1 feature.

+1 to footnote/endnote feature!

I've only had a brief look at the Beta and I'm very impressed by it. During my short time with it so far, and what I've gleaned from the Tutorial videos, the footnote.endnote feature appeared to be the only major thing that would prevent me from using on projects that I currently use PagePlus for.

Allan

Footnotes/Endnotes are the only feature i'm really missing and we use them a lot... (one time we used around 1000 footnotes in a scientific book).

Hope you can implement it in a similar way like in InDesign, that it will be auto adjustet at the bottom of the page where the footnote is placed. Scribus is horrible with that...

Add me to those voting for footnotes and endnotes, but with a strong stress on the later. Visit any university library and you'll find that endnotes replaced footnotes long ago, perhaps in the 1950s. In the era before computers, endnotes were far easier to typeset. In todays world, their appearance at the bottom of a page is seen as clutter by most readers. And being able to have both in the same document would be handy. Footnotes could be used at the bottom of a page to clarify ideas. Endnotes far away could be used to give references that most people don't read.

I would, however, agree with those who'd like to see footnotes handled in a more powerful way. Untangling Tolkien, my day-by-day chronology of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings was done in Framemaker, which allowed me create the equivalent of footnotes for references to the source in LOTR in a sidebar alongside the text to which it applies. That worked far better than bottom of the page footnotes or endnotes. I can't do that in ID.

3 minutes ago, Mike Perry said:

I would, however, agree with those who'd like to see footnotes handled in a more powerful way. Untangling Tolkien, my day-by-day chronology of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings was done in Framemaker, which allowed me create the equivalent of footnotes for references to the source in LOTR in a sidebar alongside the text to which it applies. That worked far better than bottom of the page footnotes or endnotes. I can't do that in ID.

http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/sidenotes.html

Mike

Visit any university library and you'll find that endnotes replaced footnotes long ago, perhaps in the 1950s. In the era before computers, endnotes were far easier to typeset. In todays world, their appearance at the bottom of a page is seen as clutter by most readers.

While this might be true up to a certain point for academic publications in the English-speaking world (and while there is a certain international convergence in recent years), there are also cultural differences. German academic publications are still heavily using footnotes for reference purposes as well as for comments and clarifications. And while footnotes might be perceived as clutter from a typographic point of view (it can be incredibly difficult to typeset certain sorts of academic texts in a visually pleasing way), they are much more practical for readers. Personally, I don’t like reading a book from two ends.

Footnote and endnote support is essential for a serious page layout application.

A lot of my work involves typesetting academic books (80,000 to 200,000 words). Importing notes from a native Word format or RTF file is essential. The lack of footnote/endnote support unfortunately is a deal-breaker for me and the AP beta is unusable for my post important projects.

Add me to those voting for footnotes and endnotes, especially footnotes.

We hold seminars on "How do I publish my research results?" For German and Austrian semiprofessionals researchers of historical sources who produce chronicles and books. This automatically raises the question of publishing software. Footnotes are essential.
But in the future i would like to recommend Affinity Publisher as an alternative - because we already use Affinity Designer & Photo.