You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will you need beta testers out in the field? 

I am starting a side/personal project that is a magazine. And I am hoping to start building it with Publisher -- rather than using my work computer and InDesign. Don't get me wrong. I love InDesign. I just can't afford to pay such a steep price and have it as a subscription. I am glad to see Affinity is providing a straight product purchase model. 

So, I am really looking forward to Publisher. Keep up the great work. Thanks.

We are now well into September.  I am very keen to know when Affinity Publisher will become available as that will enable me to completely leave windows?

This one has been repeatedly pushed back. The best you can do is pretend that Affinity never mentioned Publisher. It was supposed to hit beta last year. Then it was supposed to hit this year. Now it's a matter of "wanting to get it right" which could mean that it is still years off. I renewed my Adobe subscription and to be honest I am loving the CC suite again.

Expected to be in beta around the end of 2016 with a launch in 2017, from your own pages

​Are you now saying that this product has been pushed back, if so I have to express a degree of frustration as I have been waiting for this for some time?  IMHO Serif would have been better advised to get all the Mac products on line BEFORE introducing affinity to Windows which already has the benefit of other Serif products.

Any new info about when final version of Designer and beta of Photo for Windows are going to come out?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

IMHO Serif would have been better advised to get all the Mac products on line BEFORE introducing affinity to Windows which already has the benefit of other Serif products.

I don't think we can assume that the developers who are working on the Affinity on Windows UI would have been able to make an effective contribution to either the core programming of Affinity Publisher or the UI programming for the Mac in a different programming language.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

This is very bad news.  I was depending on publisher to complete my suite.  At this rate, I might be better placed by going back to Adobe.

I gave been a Serif user since PagePlus 3 and feel badly let down.  At least they could let us know where they are at to enable fans to make a more informed decision about staying with Serif rather than leave us in limbo

• Staff

We just don't know when Publisher will be finished. We can make guesses based on current progress and anticipated issues to but it's the unanticipated that often cause guesses to become invalidated. If you have fixed dates that you must release on then that absolutely leads to releasing broken software and that's not what we want to do.

We made a prediction when we thought we might be ready but the dates were too optimistic. I will not make new predictions until we are more confident of an actual release window.

If you need a DTP application, then PagePlus is still a fine product. If you need something more professional, then InDesign is also pretty good.

I understand, that you do not give false promises. But can you say if the release date will be in a few months or rather in a year or more?

iMac (27", Late 2013) – 3,2 GHz Intel Core i5 – MacOS 10.14
Adobe user since 1994, but now Affinity enthusiast

There will be a public beta which itself will probably take several months. So until that beta starts, Publisher will always be more than several months away. I would recommend not basing any future plans on Publisher at least until the beta starts. That will also be the first opportunity to see what features it has. As with our other products, we tend to release when it has enough to be useful to someone, and that someone may not be you. It's going to take years before it is anything like as full-featured as PagePlus or InDesign.

guess it would be helpful to know the current state of development 

like done vs to do

most things I´ve heard so far were about features that will not be available so it´s like you´re working on nothing specific and don't have a report although it has been delayed again now ..ough

if you´d offer such a snapshot (by which I don´t mean a snapshot release) of your development it would be much clearer to see what you´ve achieved VS what is still to be done

It's going to take years before it is anything like as full-featured as PagePlus or InDesign.

I think Dave's post quoted above is quite clear and It's not what I wanted to hear unfortunately.

Those of us who use inDesign professionally, will have to continue doing so for the foreseeable future and in my case it will most probably be the only DTP software I will have used till my retirement. It will be down to the next generation of DTP professionals to pick up the challenge of getting the Affinity Designer to become the inDesign challenger.

I will of course try all the beta releases as they become available but will not expect much initially.

Regards

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

On 21/09/2016 at 4:18 PM, Just J said:

Oh Publisher ! [Wherefore] art thou Publisher ? 

What do you think they should have called it instead? ears.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

Their priorities should be to develop products that keep revenue flowing into the company. If they do not do that, the company will go out of business & everybody loses.

They have said the Serif line was no longer doing that. The Affinity line is. End of story.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Most of people in THE WORLD have Windows no Macrappy, ok? So, if they should priorise anything, that should be softwares for WINDOWS

Better said, Wincrappy no Mac.  :D

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)