You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2.1 GM Build (2.1.0.1799)

Great work Serif team. Many improvements.🙂

Affinity Photo on iPadOS still unable to access an OCIO config file , which will disappoint many users as this feature has been unavailable in version 2 on the iPad. 🙁

A feature that worked on iPads in version 1 but not in version 2. Probably it’s because Files app can no longer open file type  “.config” files. This shouldn’t be hard to fix but may need Apple involvement.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff
10 minutes ago, thegary said:

When will the 2.1 be released to everyone as an upgrade?

Assuming no last minute issues it will be this week ;)

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

1 hour ago, TonyO said:

Can this be a last minute bug fix? haha, thanks!!!

If I understand what you mean correctly, I don't think it is a bug. When you minimize the main app window, it is just hidden, so unless you have any floating Studio panels all you will see when you click on its Dock icon is that the Mac menu bar shows that app has the focus, so its menu items are displayed.

Try dragging out one of the Studio panels onto the desktop, say the Layers panel, & you should see it reappear whenever you click on the app's Dock icon, so you know the app has the focus. In V2, you can then open the Windows menu where you should see the minimized document listed so you can make its window reappear by choosing it. You should also be able to do that by right-clicking on the Dock icon & choosing the document's name in the popup.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Update issue in2.1.0.1799

PHOTO and DESIGNER updated but Publisher could not because of an "open document" It took me a second to realize it was a default document (blank and nothing I created)

I closed that and updated successfully

It seems that this sort of thing should be trapped during the updaye process

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

1 minute ago, Rick G said:

It took me a second to realize it was a default document (blank and nothing I created)

I've never seen any "default documents", Rick. There should only be a document if you've used New or Open or something like that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I've never seen any "default documents", Rick. There should only be a document if you've used New or Open or something like that.

Same for me.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, walt.farrell said:

I opened Publisher.

There was a document not of my creation.

That stopped the upgrade

Name it what you will and let me know so we can agree on terms

IF you go FILE / NEW you can see the document of which I speak

I did not choose FILE / NEW

This does NOT happen in the release 

This happens in the Beta

There IS a default document and it looks like this

2023-05-15_12-52-51.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

41 minutes ago, R C-R said:

If I understand what you mean correctly, I don't think it is a bug. When you minimize the main app window, it is just hidden, so unless you have any floating Studio panels all you will see when you click on its Dock icon is that the Mac menu bar shows that app has the focus, so its menu items are displayed.

Try dragging out one of the Studio panels onto the desktop, say the Layers panel, & you should see it reappear whenever you click on the app's Dock icon, so you know the app has the focus. In V2, you can then open the Windows menu where you should see the minimized document listed so you can make its window reappear by choosing it. You should also be able to do that by right-clicking on the Dock icon & choosing the document's name in the popup.

If this is not a bug, it really feels like one. No other app on Mac OS behaves like this when the app is minimized. 

I made a quick comparison montage of other related and non-related apps showing how a minimized screen should act on Mac OS when the app icon is clicked. The affinity thumbnail is the third past the folder in this case, and it wont budge when the app icon is clicked - all other apps shown behave the intended way, restoring on app icon click. 

This is unique to Affinity apps and appears to be the same in all 3. If this is intended, the behavior is unexpected and should be modified to feel compliant with the rest of the OS. Thoughts?

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

4 minutes ago, Rick G said:

There IS a default document and it looks like this

It isn't a default. It is just that the last used document setting is 'sticky' so it is selected when you click on New. However, unless you click on "Create," no new document actually is created.

Affinity Photo 

Actually @R C-R, ignore what i said above about intended behavior. 

I didn't even think to compare Designer 1 vs. Designer 2... it's definitely bug introduced in Designer 2...

I was wondering why this hasn't bothered me before, since i've been using this app for the better part of a decade, haha. 

5 minutes ago, TonyO said:

When the dock icon is clicked, the app won't reappear on screen unless the open-window is clicked on the right side of the dock.

When you do this, please refer to the Mac menu bar along the top of the screen. Which app's name does it show on the left, next to the Apple icon? If it is the Affinity app, you know the app itself has reappeared, even though it is not showing the minimized document window. The Mac menu bar should show that app's menu items, among them the Window menu. Click on that & you should see the minimized document window listed. Select that & it will reappear.

This is normal for all the Mac Affinity apps (V1 & V2) because it is possible to minimize the document window(s) without quitting the app. 

IOW, is that the app is not minimized, just its document window(s). Thus, clicking on the app's Dock icon if its document windows are all minimized into the Dock & it already has the focus (it is frontmost so its main menu shows) nothing will happen.

If it is not frontmost but you have floated one or more of its Studio panels, when you click on the app's Dock icon, it will become frontmost & you will see those floating panels reappear.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

This is normal for all the Mac Affinity apps (V1 & V2) because it is possible to minimize the document window(s) without quitting the app. 

Yes clicking the app icon does show Affinity Designer 2 in the top left of the screen, but no this is not normal for V1 and V2 - as V1 behaves properly. See video on previous post. 

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It isn't a default. It is just that the last used document setting is 'sticky' so it is selected when you click on New. However, unless you click on "Create," no new document actually is created.

Seriously? I told you: it is there every time I open it. I don't start a new document

Something is not right and we are arguing over terminology

Ok it's not a default document

It is just something that appears when I open the bets

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

10 minutes ago, R C-R said:

If it is not frontmost but you have floated one or more of its Studio panels, when you click on the app's Dock icon, it will become frontmost & you will see those floating panels reappear.

Also this... Designer 1 - shows floating pallet AND restores app windows on app-icon click. Designer 2 shows the floating pallet but won't restore the app window, there is no use for this function in normal workflow. 

Between the three different videos I've shown of Designer 2 acting differently compared to multiple normal mac apps and Designer 1, surely you're seeing what's wrong with the behavior of Designer 2 at this point?

3 minutes ago, TonyO said:

Yes clicking the app icon does show Affinity Designer 2 in the top left of the screen, but no this is not normal for V1 and V2 - as V1 behaves properly. See video on previous post. 

I now see what you mean, but I think this is the result of the long requested addition of all open documents being listed in the Window menu in V2, whereas in V1 there was no way in the app itself to maximize a minimized document window. 

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

I now see what you mean, but I think this is the result of the long requested addition of all open documents being listed in the Window menu in V2, whereas in V1 there was no way in the app itself to maximize a minimized document window. 

I don't think that's related.

Normal MacOS behavior for multiple open documents on a single app is to restore one of the open sessions as seen on the top of the app-icon right-click list. In true Mac OS fashion, the window that the OS selects to restore appears to be a bit random, but in the case of Affinity 2 apps, the call to restore an arbitrary open window to the screen on app-icon click is being ignored by the OS.  

See the difference between chrome and affinity. Both have multiple open sessios (a floating window in the case of Affinity). Mac OS grabs one instance of Chrome and restores it, which it picks is a Mac OS secret, but SOMETHING is triggered. In the case of Affinity, no matter how many windows are open, the call to restore to the screen is ignored.

This function is engrained in the OS, it's likely just a line of code missed somewhere. Perhaps all users experience this?

5 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Seriously? I told you: it is there every time I open it. I don't start a new document

Something is not right and we are arguing over terminology

Ok it's not a default document

It is just something that appears when I open the bets

In the V2 versions, including the betas, if you click on File > New, in the window that opens there is an option at the bottom of the window named "Show on Startup." Uncheck that & that dialog will not appear when you next start the app.

Regardless, I think but am not sure that when I last updated the beta on my Mac that option was enabled so on startup it did show, but I still got the update available message & the download & install proceeded without issues, although I might have clicked on "Cancel" at some point during the download. So possibly this is a bug of some kind that is more prevalent on Windows ... or something.

Affinity Photo