You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

reward for beta-testers and suggestion makers?

Given how terrible the initial Affinity Publisher beta was .. and how it has drastically improved as a result of many people here doing testing, and providing suggestions, some of which will be critical to the success of the product (master pages, embedded images reflowing, etc) ..

.. who agrees that Affinity should reward this in some way.

I don't expect they'll pay a share of their profits .. even though the product would likely have been a flop without the advice provided by friends here... perhaps a discount or reimbursement scheme would be more realistic?

12 minutes ago, tariq said:

.. who agrees that Affinity should reward this in some way.

The reward is software I would like to buy, no one is making me do this work.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

28 minutes ago, tariq said:

Given how terrible the initial Affinity Publisher beta was ..

A beta version has to start out somewhere and it is part of this process that there will many bugs involved. To call this 'terrible' is beyond what I can understand.

In contrary, APub was at its first public start equipped with a lot of features and - to me - showed that it is well thought out. And full of flaws and missing features, too. That's why it's an early beta.

To me, the reward is being part of the process of improving things. I do not understand why you are asking for a discount.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Our reward is we get to mess around, and through our feedback, shape upcoming features of the next commercial release - what a privilege as these guys really listen

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

5 minutes ago, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

Rewards just for making suggestions is unreasonable.

Those who find and report a significant number of bugs deserve a free license. 

Perhaps for a closed beta. For a public beta, nah. Serif, which was generous in closed betas in the past with the Plus line, didn't do so with the few public betas.

I think we will be able to get the finished product at a reduced price and that is reward enough.

No one had to come here and test the betas.

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

4 hours ago, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

Rewards just for making suggestions is unreasonable.

Those who find and report a significant number of bugs deserve a free license. 

No they don’t.   They deserve a pat on the back.    But so do the developers.  One huge thank you for putting up with some strange comments mixed in with thousands of potentially helpful forum entries.   Nobody is required to be on these forums.   I consider it a distinct privilege and also a matter of great satisfaction that I may possibly have helped in a miniscule way to making Publisher the wonderful product it is — and was from the start back on August 30.   It never WAS “terrible.”   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

19 hours ago, MikeW said:

I don't.

Nor do I.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

8 hours ago, Michael117 said:

Wait! We're not all getting cool Affinity T-shirts???!!!???

YES Lets hold out for Tshirts!

blank-tshirt-template-white.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

1 hour ago, Rick G said:

YES Lets hold out for Tshirts!

They do offer one already on the store; the current one is black, so perhaps in celebration of the new release, they could follow suit and release a white one to correspond to the new light theme (not that I would personally want to use the light theme in the software, but a white shirt works fine)...

They might also consider a (hopefully very)-limited-time edition replacing the fancy triangle with a simple square...

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

They do offer one already on the store; the current one is black, so perhaps in celebration of the new release, they could follow suit and release a white one to correspond to the new light theme (not that I would personally want to use the light theme in the software, but a white shirt works fine)...

They might also consider a (hopefully very)-limited-time edition replacing the fancy triangle with a simple square...

I liked the triangle better

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

I believe there is a new range of Affinity t-shirts coming after Publisher is released.  The price is expected to be discounted for people participating in these forums.

Sneak peak below...

tshirt3.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

25 minutes ago, Rick G said:

I liked the triangle better

Yes, that is my point... the triangle shape is iconic... if someone wears that people will generally know that it represents something, even if they don't know what it is.

If someone goes around wearing a shirt with just a square on it people won't even be sure it represents anything in particular...

Regardless, that was just a quick jab I threw in...  the white shirts are the more likely suggestion.  :9_innocent:

38 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Regardless, that was just a quick jab I threw in...  the white shirts are the more likely suggestion.  :9_innocent:

Let us not hold our collective breath

Is this the time to start a new thread demanding the t shirts they promised us? xD

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

I believe there is a new range of Affinity t-shirts coming after Publisher is released.  The price is expected to be discounted for people participating in these forums.

Sneak peak below...

tshirt3.jpg

I would prefer the words to say "I helped Serif test their beta software and I didn't even get this crappy t-shirt" 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.