You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

23 minutes ago, Benfischer said:

That does work, thanks. I had tried Force On but not force Off. Regarding the Shape Builder, that’s a fine solution, but I’m not actually trying to draw a planet, I’m just reporting a bug in the Vector Fill operation with this example. 

That was kind of my assumption, but yes, this is simply result of the way Affinity and other software handles antialiasing (note: different software uses different antialising algorithms whcih means the visual impact differs between different software and is more noticable as a result depending on the software used)...

I tend to view the end goal, i.e., what am I wanting to achieve with the final version of my artwork and once decided, use the tool most suited/appropriate to the task, if one tool doesn't give me the expected result then should I be using a different tool, hence the Shape Builder tool or the Subtract Boolean option, both of which overcome the issue you're facing...

The antialiasing issue unfortunately is visible on an onscreen pdf export as well, though likely not on a printed version so finding ways to avoid the issue is the approach I would adopt.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Thanks. For this case, the shape builder works but I was testing out non destructive techniques for a project I’m working on. I ended up using a mask to hide the ring portion, which works well and I don’t have to worry about the jigsaw pieces if I rearrange things.   The vector flood fill does work ok as a non destructive option, as long as the anti aliasing is accounted for.  Maybe Serif can add a note about that in the 2.1 docs. 

6 minutes ago, Benfischer said:

Thanks. For this case, the shape builder works but I was testing out non destructive techniques for a project I’m working on. I ended up using a mask to hide the ring portion, which works well and I don’t have to worry about the jigsaw pieces if I rearrange things.   The vector flood fill does work ok as a non destructive option, as long as the anti aliasing is accounted for.  Maybe Serif can add a note about that in the 2.1 docs. 

My Shape Builder example is non-destructive. I'm not sure that you realise that.

If using the vector fill tool on a single closed path or multiple selected closed paths with no overlaps and no fill assigned to these shapes (as in screenshot) Designer crashes. This does not occur if the shapes are overlapping. I'm using the latest beta (1742) on Windows 10 22H2, MS Surface Pro 6.

image.thumb.jpeg.01890a5b7d4e3e5948cbd67ec3aa49ce.jpeg

Confirmed

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

11 hours ago, Jon S said:

If using the vector fill tool on a single closed path or multiple selected closed paths with no overlaps and no fill assigned to these shapes (as in screenshot) Designer crashes. This does not occur if the shapes are overlapping. I'm using the latest beta (1742) on Windows 10 22H2, MS Surface Pro 6.

Confirmed too!

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Intuos5 said:

I am getting instant crashes with a DXF import (build 1742, Windows 10.0.19045)

It doesn't matter whether I have visual bounds checked.

I copied some rectangles to a blank file and the issue persists, so here's the file:

Flood fill crash.afdesign

Yes, can confirm that with your .afdesign File.

But only when selecting the first rectangle before choosing the fillt tool and clicking inside the selected rect.

If i instead click directly in the first rect without selecting, it it will not crash. Instead it crashes when i select the rect after filling it. Very strange...

fa52313a-7634-4782-a7e9-a1bd7c12d237.dmp d7a0b35a-25b8-4f83-87e0-a4c64fcc5acf.dmp 56b684c5-d91a-4d81-a9fc-854617584a2a.dmp

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3447, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22688.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

• Staff
20 hours ago, Intuos5 said:

I am getting instant crashes with a DXF import (build 1742, Windows 10.0.19045)

It doesn't matter whether I have visual bounds checked.

I copied some rectangles to a blank file and the issue persists, so here's the file:

Flood fill crash.afdesign

Hi Intuos5,
Thanks for letting us know. The crash you're seeing there is a known issue as reported in the thread below. It has been fixed and will be available in the upcoming build. 

I'm getting a Calculations failed message when attempting to use the Vector Flood Fill tool on the entire drawing if select less of the drawing I can then use it but I cant select the entire drawing and fill it without the message poping up.

Edited by Metz Apparel
Add more info

Hi @Metz Apparel and welcome to the forums,

Are you able to upload the file in question so we can take a look?

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

• Staff
5 hours ago, Metz Apparel said:

I'm getting a Calculations failed message when attempting to use the Vector Flood Fill tool on the entire drawing if select less of the drawing I can then use it but I cant select the entire drawing and fill it without the message poping up.

Hi Metz Apparel,

We are aware of an issue where some small loops on edges of shapes can cause this fail to appear. As Hangman has asked if you could attach the file that would be helpful, and a quick video showing the selection and what area you're trying to fill that generates this error would also be helpful!

Thanks for the Replies thats good to know about the small loops sounds like you guys are aware of issues. I attached the file. My trace job of a customers lawn mower probably isnt the best and I'm sure I probably have an issue in there somewhere probably all the loops and what not. As a test I copied it over to an old version of Adobe Illustrator to see if adobes live paint bucket tool had issues with it but that seemed to work fine I really hope you guys can get this prefected because it would be a time saver for me either that or I need to change the way I do things I'm just used to how Adobe is but I would love to switch fully over. I love the the software from what I've tried so far that and you guys offer it without subscriptions which is great.

Zero-Turn-Mower.afdesign

Just tested the Zero-Turn-Mower.afdesign with the latest beta: 2.1.0.1781

The error seems to occur somewhere in this region:

image.png.f698866f6444a5fdbb47be8e02397852.png

The calculation warning message appears when simply selecting pathes with the fill tool active.

I deleted one part of the drawing after another, selected/unselected different parts of the remaining drawing, inbetween used the fill tool selection mode while having the pathes partially selected until Designer crashed completely. Here is the report.

98798663-23e7-472c-8b1e-012403fd21c0.dmp

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3447, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22688.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

To be even more specific, it's this layer, highlighted using a black stroke... It shows the same 'Calculations failed message' when using the Shape Builder tool...

Alt clicking the left node handle for this particular node converting it from a smooth to a sharp node seems to fix the issue...

I haven't installed the beta myself (I always inadvertently end up opening old files in the beta which means the file can't be opened in the older, released app—which is a pain), but was wondering how this feature compares to the similar Illustrator tool? Does it also support live-painting of filled areas when lines, curves and shapes are moved, scaled, or even modified (see movie below, about 1/2 way through), or would you have to go back and remove/re-paint the areas should the geometry change? I'm just trying to figure out how I might be able to use this feature in my workflow.

So this is how you comment on the actual tool. Well the vector flood fill tool needs be able to work without having to select vector. Instead it should also work if no vectors are selected creating a vector fill using the vector closest to the selected point. This way won't have to select all. Also there needs to be a gap tolerance in order to be able to select an area that might a small gap between the vectors instead of having to keep finding points that aren't connected/ fully cross and edit them to make the tool work\fill the desired area.

1 minute ago, Just a Creative said:

Instead it should also work if no vectors are selected creating a vector fill using the vector closest to the selected point.

What if there are multiple vector objects equidistant from wherever you click?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 4/27/2023 at 10:51 AM, rgba said:

Does it also support live-painting of filled areas when lines, curves and shapes are moved, scaled, or even modified (see movie below, about 1/2 way through)

Some of the results on the video seem a bit random to me. I like the idea overall, but when shapes overlap... not so much.

Best regards!

• Staff
19 hours ago, Mithferion said:

Some of the results on the video seem a bit random to me. I like the idea overall, but when shapes overlap... not so much.

Best regards!

Having played with the Live Paint feature in AI, it does seem to get very confused very quickly.  It's sort of OK until you change the geometry a lot, then it doesn't really know where you intended the fill to be.
The feature also regroups your layers - so will change any ordering you might have had.  Fine, unless your ordering was exposed by occluded fills and strokes.

So, our approach doesn't mess with your original layer ordering (apart from if you insert fill layers in-between).  Also, we create post-editable fill objects - so when you are done, you can treat them like any other layer.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

beta 2.1.0.1790 - Windows, flow fill calculations error message

I tested Metz Apparels unmodified Zero-Turn-Mower.afdesign file again with this app version and still get the message when CTRL-select (or CTRL+a) the entire drawing with the fill tool active.

In DanG's bug fix list, this bug was listed under "Bugs affecting macOS".

Or should this be the final behaviour on all platforms ?

image.png.c64bbc6acb31e55a01e1038a46b1ff02.png