You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector Flood Fill

On 2/15/2023 at 2:35 PM, JhonatanS said:

Hi, a very welcome feature for sure.

Here is an example of what I was trying to do to get a expected result,

This is a function that we use a lot to fill areas like coloring book.

One of the things that I wish to do, it that the app could generate a shape based on the area selected.

The result that we got on Raster Flood fill in Raster is what it should do I think, but creating a vector shape based on the area selected.

I made a video to test and see the result,

image.thumb.png.4400aa5c328404287072cb6ee4c19a7d.png

Here is attached the Skull coloring example.
Where I tried to paint the White areas, but it's kind of generating a fill color over the same shape.

image.thumb.png.67b5bbac88359c7f865f5f6e92711b77.png

First of all i think this is a really helpfull addition so far, e.g. for architects to fill areas in line drawings👍👍👍 But i guess JohnathanS is right. I also would expect that it would behave like the bitmap flood fill - based on the color of the point i clicked on. So far it's not really a flood fill but more related to the shape builder ? Maybe the tool can be extended to a real flood behaviour with tolerance settings like in Photo. Then there may be an additional setting needed which extends the resulting shape by 0-n pixels to prevent flashing edges? So in essence the whole thing would rather behave like a selection+vectorizer function combined with immediate color fill?

In other words: the good old Photoshop convert selection to path:

image.png.93bfe60627f285bfba4626094b7b8e57.png

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3296, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22687.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

9 minutes ago, GRAFKOM said:

StuartRc - What program did you record the screen with?

I used 2..

1. OBS studio
2. Edited in Shortcut (Converted !)

10 minutes ago, GRAFKOM said:

StuartRc - What program did you record the screen with?

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

3 hours ago, Ash said:

various updates to the vector fill tool

What happened to the Color Match Tolerance attribute…?

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

It would be very desirable to be able to open and edit such 3D logos in Affinity Designer 2.1. Unfortunately, this is not the case at the moment.

1. What does it have to do with the Vector Flood Fill tool?
  2. Of course you can open and edit a PSD in every Affinity app, albeit with the known limitations.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

23 minutes ago, 4dimage said:

setting needed which extends the resulting shape by 0-n pixels to prevent flashing edges?

Contour Tool is your friend… :) 

I see we have some debug functionality appearing now. Re-recorded to show the wait times, especially around the tones.

230222_debug-fun.gif.3decd873c3f9172f63aa8737ea11559c.gif

Still pretty impressive considering how well it works around tones. I'd say the accuracy is very good.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

• Staff
On 2/20/2023 at 2:08 PM, debraspicher said:

Sure. This was as an SVG. I have other examples possibly, but I need an upload link.

Thanks for the files - It does appear to be that your shape is incredibly complex, so the app is having to do a lot of calculations. It is the tone pattern in the SVG that is causing it. There are thousands of dots with around 4 nodes a piece in a single object, which is totalling 47,500 nodes. 

This is then compounded by each fill you've just done being added to your selection which is then adding in 1000s more nodes to the calculation.

I'll mention it to development to see if anything can be improved, but dense curves such as those may be slow.

• Staff
On 2/21/2023 at 8:23 PM, ,,, said:

Filling an unfilled region of the source objects results in the generated shape being placed at the very bottom of the document or Artboard's layer stack instead of just below the lowest source object. Not sure that's an actual bug, but it seems wrong to me.

Hi ,,,

I believe this is intentional - It allows you to retain the 'look' of what you're filling.

For example if I have a series of overlapping rectangles with a stroke and no fill, I can see each stroke overlapping the other objects:

image.png

If I select all of those shapes and fill a region it is placed at the bottom of the layer stack. This allows all the strokes to retain their thickness:
image.png

If I move that fill to below the object the strokes above begin to get lose their thickness due to layer ordering:

image.png

• Staff
13 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Found some weirdness with this tool and compound vectors. You don't change the colour of the layer, but you create a new vector inside of the layer wit the added colour happening inside it.

207708510_CompoundLayerweirdness.gif.16b4d9adb74fa81a9f37e15f73116d76.gif

Do you mind sharing your file please? I'm finding any fills I make are being created outside the Compound object.

Nor I --- installed using the EXE - release 1709 a few minutes ago and no tool visible

First thing I tried as I am very keen to use more vector stuff

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.

• Staff
14 minutes ago, ThatMikeGuy said:

Update: I found it in View>Customize Tools... (It's not visible by default)

I'm not seeing the tool.  (Windows 10)

10 minutes ago, gw_westdale said:

Nor I --- installed using the EXE - release 1709 a few minutes ago and no tool visible

First thing I tried as I am very keen to use more vector stuff

Hi!

Currently on Windows Beta you need to manually add the Tool to your toolbar.

This can be done by going to View > Customise Tools... and then dtagging on the Vector Flood Fill icon onto your Tools Panel. Once you've dragged it just click 'Close'. You should then be able to use the tools

• Staff
16 minutes ago, Poziomka said:

Something is wrong. I have the latest beta version of AD, but I don't see this tool on the tool palette! From the description, it works similarly to the one in Corel Draw, but where did it hide?

AD 2.1.png

Hi Poziomka,

I assume you're using Windows? Please see my post 2 posts up - you currently need to manually add it to your tools panel.

• Staff
17 hours ago, mogi-ct said:

Hi,

I really love this new tool. I'm not sure if this issue is included in the text issue with AFD-6415, but I tried to change letter after applying fills and it kept an artifact from the original letter. See the image.

Thank you

bucketToolTest.png

This is to be expected - when you use the vector flood fill, it creates a Curve object based on what was there at the time. If you then change this, the flood fill will not update, as its curves are not 'tied' to the originals.