You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Line (Stroke) Width Tool

I reinstalled the app, but it still wasn't there, but appeared into Customize Toos.

Now, it is OK.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

What happens if you choose ‘View > Customize Tools…’ and then press ‘Reset’ followed by ‘Close’ in the tool customization panel?

I've just done it. Thanks Alfred.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

16 minutes ago, Tim,c said:

Finally this new feature ~ I like it

but this strokes can be modified asymmetrically by holding others key while dragging a width point?

To answer your question.
No, it  applies to both sides so no assymetry here.

I am generally excited about this feature.

One specific feedback: I would like to pick for each pressure node whether it is a sharp, immediate transition or smooth transition, such as in this mockup:

sharp_and_smooth_pressure.png.96f7abb0d4e1da496ce91e920fc801d7.png

In this mockup, the sharp version is the current behavior, while I faked the smooth behavior by expanding the curve and then converting the nodes at the peaks to be smart curves.

Reduced? These types of artifacts are not supposed to be there at all! Also, they don't occur at extremes, but almost immediately when you make more than minor adjustments. I won't be using Affinity for work involving line width adjustments, as it's such a flawless feature in other programs that also create beautiful, beautiful bezier curves. This model is something Serif should consider whether they really want to continue with, or if the current stroke width architecture might need to be discarded soon.

image.png.958a4a3bcaaeaa7c49057ca61f86a90c.png

A nap didn't help my impression and tolerance of the model. On the contrary. I would rather call it a disruption tool.

Well, Serif. It's going to be an uphill battle to sell this tool to me. You are in the process of throwing good money after bad money. 

Anyway, during the short time I struggled to use the 'innovation', I discovered that there were some sharp nodes I was fighting with or against, but I had to go into the node tool to change them to smooth nodes. Then back to the node width tool.

You should consider a user-friendly and visible way to switch node types.

39 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

having issues getting good results out of Expand Stroke

Still not fixed, obviously… :/ 

^ Just checked using my above test stroke which I have then saved as an asset.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

56 minutes ago, loukash said:

Still not fixed, obviously… :/ 

^ Just checked using my above test stroke which I have then saved as an asset.

trying to replicate the nice circle design with 0 to 100% pressure curve, I found that rendering has some issues at higher zoom levels. This is the same design at different zoom levels (on Macbook M2)

image.thumb.png.ac223074aa21e489be6ac17d0eff7cb8.pngimage.thumb.png.f5a857914a67a0e44a7a7b60f50a8a7f.png

image.thumb.png.ba8309b1f5946f6ce3058379449a2b8b.png

zoom levels.afdesign

5 hours ago, Aurea Ratio said:

Reduced? These types of artifacts are not supposed to be there at all! Also, they don't occur at extremes, but almost immediately when you make more than minor adjustments. I won't be using Affinity for work involving line width adjustments, as it's such a flawless feature in other programs that also create beautiful, beautiful bezier curves. This model is something Serif should consider whether they really want to continue with, or if the current stroke width architecture might need to be discarded soon.

image.png.958a4a3bcaaeaa7c49057ca61f86a90c.png

I also get artifacts like that. Also some jaggies and cusps as seen in the video. I see it on iPad and Mac. It seems to happen mostly on the pencil or pen tool, which draws a path with essentially no stroke width. I don’t see it on the vector brush yet.

its a nice feature though!

13 hours ago, Aurea Ratio said:

I instantly saw the jagged artifacts after pulling a few nodes - you could too, Serif. This is not ready for beta testing. 😞

13 hours ago, Aurea Ratio said:

I will not test further until there is a serious build.

Certainly, many of the issues described here are already known to management and development teams. However, testing for known issues, even obvious ones, is also important because it helps them analyze the impact of these issues on the overall customer experience.

So keep testing and share your feedback, even the obvious ones. They certainly don't take them lightly😉

2 hours ago, anto said:

If you merge curves and then apply the Line Width Tool, it applies to all objects

I would say that is expected behaviour... if you change the normal stroke width, fill colour or transform the width or height of merged objects it affects all objects equally.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2463)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

3 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I would say that is expected behaviour... if you change the normal stroke width, fill colour or transform the width or height of merged objects it affects all objects equally.

But when you use Node tool for merged curves there is no such behaviour.

Thanks you so very much for implementing these changes, your hard work and dedication are greatly appreciated; particularly on the Line Width Tool and New Pencil Curve algorithm. In my opinion, these much-needed and expected enhancements will significantly improve our work.

### Feedback ###

Line Width Tool
- Adjust Line Weight: When enabled, selecting a path or curve results in the width approaching zero unless manually adjusted by dragging. It would be more intuitive if a single click preserved the existing width, allowing adjustments from that baseline.
- Control per Section: Modifying the width of a specific section affects the entire line disproportionately. Ideally, control should be exercised between selected nodes, enhancing precision and allowing for multiple node selections to define the change scope.
- Width Adjustment within Nodes: The tool does not permit node selection while active, seemingly disconnecting node control from width adjustments. A dual control system affecting line and width nodes would be preferable.
- Artefacts and Cursors: Adjusting width can cause the line to become jagged, especially near newly created nodes, indicating work in progress. Additionally, the dual cursor functionality (plus and circle) appears redundant as they do not offer distinct actions.
- Deactivating Adjust Line Weight: Turning off this feature does not alter functionality, which could be confusing.
- Shortcut Key: The Ctrl shortcut (macOS) for controlling width directly from the curve is highly useful.

Allow Point Reordering
- Node Interaction: When reordering points, width often flips at the node rather than extending smoothly. A more intuitive behavior would be for the width to continue across the node.

Snap to Curve Nodes
- Node Snapping: The feature currently allows for snapping only when width is minimal; otherwise, it jumps erratically. Smoother control when snapping to curve nodes would be beneficial.

Snap to Widths on the Same Curve
- Utility and Functionality: The purpose and functionality of this setting remain unclear after testing.

Snap to Curve Geometry
- Improving Extension Behaviour: This setting somewhat smooths the behaviour when extending width across points. However, issues with jagged extensions and zero width upon initial click persist, making it difficult to evaluate the effectiveness of the last three settings fully.

### Summary ###

The Line Width Tool, while essential and appreciated, needs to be more intuitive and simpler in its operation. Ideally, width control should be manageable between nodes or along the entire curve if no nodes are selected. Incorporating an "ease in" and "ease out" blend using a profile pressure option could enhance the transition, combining the best of both functionalities. The clarity and testing of the snapping options should be revisited once the tool's functionality has been refined to ensure no jagging, smooth control, and intuitive use.

designer2.5_testWidthTool.png

On 4/19/2024 at 12:49 PM, Frozen Death Knight said:

It's too small

You don't need to use this dialogue anymore. With this new tool, you can zoom the curve as large as you desire, right in the document view.

1 hour ago, Viktor CR said:

You don't need to use this dialogue anymore. With this new tool, you can zoom the curve as large as you desire, right in the document view.

It's still relevant because the Photo and Publisher Personas do not have this tool. Not to mention that the panel is still useful for doing stuff such as saving your curve profiles. It needs improvements.