You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 4/25/2024 at 4:54 AM, Komatös said:

A beta version is a version in which new functions, even in a core version, are to be tested by a wide range of users. With an alpha, only a few test it. A beta is like a good wine, it matures over time. You were not perfect when you were born, but over the years you have developed into the person you are today.

Maybe you aren't aware of Star Citizen.

Also, one could say people are perfect when they are born, but become less perfect as they develop and learn about new things they can inevitably screw up. :D

6 hours ago, Bit Disappointed said:

I have provided plenty of feedback on features in this forum

More precisesly: plenty of text with some little bits of useful parts in it.

Best regards!

• Staff

Please can you all stop giving @Bit Disappointed critique on his feedback/posts. That is not helpful and is distracting from the thread. Stop 🛑

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Feedback/Usability wise,
it would be nice to have an option to easily create a border with some text around the QR-Code.
Here is an example of such a result;
Of course the user could create such things manually but it is time consuming.
borderaroundQRcodetoknowwhattodowithit.png.fc4e13e9852e2dfa578cfcc8d040d443.png

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | artstation store

Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

Many thanks to @Bit Disappointed for the important points and feedback despite the blurred shouts from the crowd. It's never easy to deliver unpopular but necessary news! 

@serif Yes, I'm also a bit unsure about what possibilities this tool offers (when released), but for me, it will be important to be able to place an image in the middle of the QR code, like a logo or symbol, that gives the QR code a greater or more visible affiliation with a product or company, or where the symbol provides a better idea of the purpose of the QR code and makes the QR code appear more personal.

It gives the code a bit more design quality, but especially it ensures that users gain more trust in the code, and that it is the correct one, if it is surrounded by other information and graphics, for example on a poster or brochures, where there are multiple senders and advertisements, etc.

8 minutes ago, Archangel said:

Just a request. I want the QR code function to be able to produce something like this. Will it be possible?

It is, simply copy and paste your text into the QR Code field and it will create a matching QR Code...

Bare in mind the limitations of a QR Code, i.e., a QR code is capable of encoding a maximum of 2953 bytes of data, 4296 alphanumeric characters, 7089 numeric characters, or 1817 Kanji characters (character set according to JIS X 0208).

Here's one I made earlier...

QRCodeRamPackWobble.thumb.png.66686f83b26d97c5c5650e45d0fbf927.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

2 minutes ago, anto said:

And where does this code lead? A Google search query?

It does, as per @Archangel's example...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

6 hours ago, myclay said:

Feedback/Usability wise,
it would be nice to have an option to easily create a border with some text around the QR-Code.
Here is an example of such a result;
Of course the user could create such things manually but it is time consuming.
borderaroundQRcodetoknowwhattodowithit.png.fc4e13e9852e2dfa578cfcc8d040d443.png

This seems a little bit redundant or niche for a program already designed to add these kinds of accents to objects. What if someone wants double lines, or triple lines, dashed lines, square corners, text on bottom, text on top and bottom, a different color, etc. 

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the QR Code generator library has built-in support for 'Quiet Zone border modules' so the request was to include an option to specify a value for these when creating the QR Code and I can see no reason why this couldn't be extended to include a stroke, though of course one can easily be added once the QR Code is generated... as for adding text and logo's I guess that's down to whether or not the dev team build a front end UI to the QR Code tool to accommodate things like this...

5 hours ago, Aurea Ratio said:

Many thanks to @Bit Disappointed for the important points and feedback despite the blurred shouts from the crowd. It's never easy to deliver unpopular but necessary news! 

@serif Yes, I'm also a bit unsure about what possibilities this tool offers (when released), but for me, it will be important to be able to place an image in the middle of the QR code, like a logo or symbol, that gives the QR code a greater or more visible affiliation with a product or company, or where the symbol provides a better idea of the purpose of the QR code and makes the QR code appear more personal.

It gives the code a bit more design quality, but especially it ensures that users gain more trust in the code, and that it is the correct one, if it is surrounded by other information and graphics, for example on a poster or brochures, where there are multiple senders and advertisements, etc.

Sigh, I see that the QR Code generator library does not support that.

But Affinity Designer could be used to design some artwork with a white filled square within it so that the QR code could be pasted onto the white filled square.

For example, a picture of a butler holding up a silver tray and after the pasting is carried out the QR code looks like it is being presented on a silver tray by the butler.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

5 hours ago, Archangel said:

Just a request. I want the QR code function to be able to produce something like this. Will it be possible?

Ram Pack  (resized).png

Do QR codes of that size and complexity and that thus present small chunks to the camera, decode without problems?

William,

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

4 minutes ago, Archangel said:

My Motorola phone decoded it very quickly. Unfortunately @Hangman version lost the spacing between stanzas

Likely because I just copied and pasted the text after scanning your QR Code without any formatting…

3 hours ago, anto said:

@Hangman Did you create your code in Affiniti?

Hi @anto, no, I literally scanned @Archangel's QR Code, copied the text on my phone and pasted it directly into the QR Code tool in Affinity Designer. I wasn't concerned so much with the content but more with the statistics of the barcode as that was how I had interpreted the original question, i.e., QR Code version = 27, mask pattern = 2, character count = 1462, encoding mode = byte, error correction = level L, data bits = 11724.

10 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Hi @anto, no, I literally scanned @Archangel's QR Code, copied the text on my phone and pasted it directly into the QR Code tool in Affinity Designer. I wasn't concerned so much with the content but more with the statistics of the barcode as that was how I had interpreted the original question, i.e., QR Code version = 27, mask pattern = 2, character count = 1462, encoding mode = byte, error correction = level L, data bits = 11724.

This means that Affinity is not yet able to create codes with formatted text.

• Staff
8 minutes ago, anto said:

This means that Affinity is not yet able to create codes with formatted text.

You can in 2415. While the payload field in the context toolbar does not accept soft/hard returns from a keyboard input (for now), you can either paste text with hard/soft returns in that field, or you can use the CMD/CTRL + click on canvas. That payload field does allow them :) 

Is there a correlation between the number of words that can be encoded and the size of the QR code itself?
I encrypted 150 words (987 characters, 1143 character with spaces) and got a code that was almost entirely filled with black squares. How can I set the optimal size of the code so that it will be printed correctly? On the screen, I can zoom in and it will print correctly. For example, a 67 mm+67 mm square is no longer read by the code scanner.

Could the program itself determine the minimum code size depending on the entered text that would be read by scanners?

On 4/28/2024 at 4:38 PM, Aurea Ratio said:

I am a fully grown man; my subconscious skips over the aforementioned persons' 'responses'.

Cheers!

I simply no longer believe that there are any professional graphic designers here. Everything follows suit. Just everything.

On 4/28/2024 at 12:56 PM, myclay said:

I'd suggest creating the specific design with border and text that you would like to reuse over and over again as an asset in the Assets panel, with a dummy QR code inside. Then instead of adding a QR code with the tool from the toolbar, you would just drag your asset into your document and edit the placeholder QR code.

It wouldn't be slower to use than the QR code tool, but it would avoid complicating the tool with a hundred options for all the different border and text combinations people could possibly want to create.

But one thing that might be nice would be an integration with the text variables in Publisher so the target URL of a QR code could be placed somewhere as plain text in a way that it auto updates when the QR code is modified. This is a common use case to cater to peolpe who have trouble scanning a QR code for whatever reason. For example, a "Copy Target URL as Text Variable" context menu command that would then allow to paste it into any text object in the document.