You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move data entry improvements

@lenogre yep. This was the first suggestion when the feature was released.

On 8/2/2023 at 12:41 PM, n_shcherbakov said:

Very cool, but it would be even cooler if there was an option to add this as an effect or entity to the appearance panel like is done in Illustrator. This approach opens up many options for experimentation. 

• Staff
On 10/25/2023 at 1:11 PM, Frozen Death Knight said:

I also can't re-activate the operation by pressing Enter while using the Node Tool.

Yes, you can only initialise the function while using certain tools (Move, Shapes, Artboard, Frame) 

The thing with node tool is that we do intend to offer a similar option specific to the node tool, i.e. so if you have a node(s) selected in node tool you can hit enter to then move those selected by a specific distance. It will be slightly different as the duplication options for example will not be relevant in this case.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

6 hours ago, Ash said:

Yes, you can only initialise the function while using certain tools (Move, Shapes, Artboard, Frame) 

Any chance you could at some point add the AD Gradient & Transparency & maybe a few others like the Corner & Contour tools to that?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Please, add sliders to the other elements as for "Number of copies".

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

On 10/29/2023 at 1:43 PM, Petar Petrenko said:

Please, add sliders to the other elements as for "Number of copies".

Does click-dragging the field labels not suffice? IMHO a much neater option than physical sliders...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

5 hours ago, Return said:

May I add the option to mousewheel up/down while hovering the field.

That seems to be working for me on the Mac AD beta version so possibly just a Windows oversight?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, Return said:

I said may I add in respect that that option is also available.

I don't understand what you mean or what you added or where. Are you saying it is available but you want an option to disable it or something else?

Like I said, in the Mac Beta version of AD 2.3 it just works.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

You can. Just click the transform origin icon with the Move Tool activated. Moving the origin will update the transformation without losing it.

Ok... I can rotate copy them but it's not a mirrored. -100% scaling doesn't work either.
How do I flip them?

Just had a thought about using this feature for resizing objects. One thing that I have done a lot lately is resizing multiple images to have a specific pixel height. When doing this for hundreds of images, there is a lot of manual work that needs to be done, since the Transform panel doesn't allow this. Could Move Data Entry allow for resizing multiple selected images based on either scale or pixel dimensions, with the option to lock the aspect ratio? :)

• Staff

Actually wonder if this should in fact be a transform panel thing and that if you have "transform objects separately" checked and type in an absolute value into the transform panel (e.g H=100px) then all the objects in your selection should adopt that height rather than it working proportionally based on the key object size?

Also we'll get round to adding a "Size to Same" function at some point!

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

I really like the improvements in this area. May I add a suggestion: add the ability to create a grid of objects with this. You could create a checkbox for this, but it would require two entry fields for horizontal and vertical copies. I find this very useful in InDesign, and seems to be a rather easy addition to improve this feature

@postmadesign it will be possible if (when? 🙂) this suggestion will be realized.

On 8/2/2023 at 12:41 PM, n_shcherbakov said:

Very cool, but it would be even cooler if there was an option to add this as an effect or entity to the appearance panel like is done in Illustrator. This approach opens up many options for experimentation. 

4 hours ago, postmadesign said:

May I add a suggestion: add the ability to create a grid of objects with this. You could create a checkbox for this, but it would require two entry fields for horizontal and vertical copies. I find this very useful in InDesign, and seems to be a rather easy addition to improve this feature

With some tools at least, it can be done with Quick Grid.

11 minutes ago, postmadesign said:

Thank you for reminding me of this, but I always found this method very hard to work with and not precise. I would like a numbers based approach with a preview.

Yes it's a great concept, but as you say, it's sometimes hard to work with... it's not the most user friendly. Especially if there needs to be a controlled gap and in my case my nudge distance is often set really low for pixel-hinting...

The Data Merge Layout Tool is worth looking at for Step & Repeat. A file is attached here. It's a bit clunky but maybe Serif could tweak the code a bit and have it as a separate Step & Repeat feature. I agree that the InDesign Step & Repeat command is very useful but the Affinity one has the potential to be much better - i.e. live rather than static.

Data Merge Layout Tool.afpub

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

• 2 weeks later...