You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move data entry improvements

• Staff

Apps: All
Platforms: macOS and Windows

There were a few requests from the previous beta we have now implemented in 2.3. As a reminder the move data entry dialog is initiated by hitting Return while in the Move, Shape, Picture Frame or Artboard Tool.

1. You can now choose duplicates to be created in front or behind the original using the new Insertion mode options

2. Scale has now been added, to quickly resize an object by a given %

3. Properties of the object being transformed can be adjusted without dismissing the dialog

The scale %, when creating duplicates, will also apply to every subsequent duplicate - a very simple example shown below with 10 copies of the same circle being created, each one at 80% the size of the previous.

image.png

You can of course combine that with other transforms, such as below a square being rotated and shrunk on each duplicate.

image.png

As mentioned you can also now adjust the properties of the object being transformed without dismissing the dialog. E.g. below I have changed the colour of the shape as well as changing stroke width to “scale with object” while keeping the current move data entry settings live.

image.png

Another minor thing to mention is we have also changed the ramp on the ‘Number of copies’ slider to make it more useable at lower values (i.e. the first half of the slider now just goes from 1-50, with the remaining half from 50-1000).

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

I tried duplicating a linked object and it kept the links intact, so good job on that! I hope there will be an option someday to use Duplicate Linked as an alternative to normal Duplicate.

It would also be nice if it was possible to edit the Transform Origin while doing the operation to better position the rotation point without needing to undo and repeat the process.

Edit: Just realised that I can activate the Transform Origin and edit it live without the window disappearing as well. This is awesome! :D

image.png

• Staff
5 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

I found a limitation/bug. The Node Tool can throw you out of the operation when changing the nodes of a shape. Sometimes it works, but more often than not it breaks the operation.

I also can't re-activate the operation by pressing Enter while using the Node Tool.

Thanks for spotting that. The behaviour on Windows is a little different to on macOS, the latter being correct. Changing the tool should dismiss the dialog and hitting enter with the Node Tool selected doesn't bring up the dialog if you have anything with curve nodes selected (there's a good reason for this...). The Windows version will be fixed in the next beta.

Nice improvements.

Is there any chance that we will get absolute differences in addition to relative differences? This has long been requested with Power Duplicate.

Some easy way to make (for example) 100 concentric circles, each 20 pixels larger than the last would be a real time saver.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• Staff
4 hours ago, anto said:

Hi Anto,
This is actually a problem on Windows - the actual problem is that the scale (as well as angle and rotation) goes wrong for Facing Page documents. Your Mac Example is a Facing Pages document (noted by Master A - Right), where as your Windows example is not a facing pages document, so doesn't exhibit the issue.

That said this is something we do have logged with development.

38 minutes ago, Sean P said:

This is actually a problem on Windows - the actual problem is that the scale (as well as angle and rotation) goes wrong for Facing Page documents. Your Mac Example is a Facing Pages document (noted by Master A - Right), where as your Windows example is not a facing pages document, so doesn't exhibit the issue.

Then I don't understand something. I've created a document on a Mac without a spread, but I'm seeing different behavior on different pages

• Staff
18 minutes ago, anto said:

Then I don't understand something. I've created a document on a Mac without a spread, but I'm seeing different behavior on different pages

2023-10-26 о 13.17.03.mov 7.95 MB · 1 download  

Thanks for that - that is also reproducible on Windows. It looks like it does also affect non-Facing Page documents when used on Pages 2 and onwards. I'll update the original issue to cover that.
image.png

23 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

I tried duplicating a linked object and it kept the links intact, so good job on that! I hope there will be an option someday to use Duplicate Linked as an alternative to normal Duplicate.

It would also be nice if it was possible to edit the Transform Origin while doing the operation to better position the rotation point without needing to undo and repeat the process.

Edit: Just realised that I can activate the Transform Origin and edit it live without the window disappearing as well. This is awesome! :D

image.png

You can use the duplicate linked. You can create a curve and then duplicate link that and then use the move / duplicate panel and all the curves are duplicate linked ?? Or did I misunderstand the question. 

It is a pity that the move / duplicate is not active for the node tool as well as changing the properties. It would be great if you could use the move / duplicate with a shape etc and then use the node tool to manipulate the nodes with the move / duplicate still active

Love the addition of the scale, that was something I thought was missing the first time I used the tool as well as the insert order

Would be great to see a jitter feature for the settings, a randomization feature so the horizontal can be any value between 0 to entered (negative or positive) so with 10 entered, it would be 0.2 or 1.3 or 4.6 etc for each new layer. If -10 entered then -0.3 or -3.2 or -8.7 etc 

A colour randomization for the shapes / curves ?? it would be wonder if using a black path initially that any new shape or curve is filled with red or green or blue and perhaps extend it to colour randomize from the swatches panel group so if you currently have the a swatch category of red, green and blue then only those colours would be used as well as if it is filled with different gradients so you could have a red-green, blue-yellow etc gradient fill with the shapes etc 

Would be great if duplicate linked was applied directly though a workaround of first duplicate linking and then using that does create multiple duplicate links

Still find that having to turn duplicate ON and then setting the number of minor issue, be great if you just set the copies to 0 (which means that there is no duplication or copies) and then increasing it to 1, 2, 3, etc does as before and then eliminating that extra step. 

Hey @Sean P, the Rotation field acts strangely: pressing the up and down keys or using the mouse's scroll wheel while hovering over the field, it only increments by .000001 degrees....

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff
14 hours ago, ronnyb said:

Hey @Sean P, the Rotation field acts strangely: pressing the up and down keys or using the mouse's scroll wheel while hovering over the field, it only increments by .000001 degrees....

I'm guessing you have your 'Degree' decimal places set to 6? I can only reproduce this when mine are set to anything greater than 1

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

I'm guessing you have your 'Degree' decimal places set to 6? I can only reproduce this when mine are set to anything greater than 1

That’s right I do….

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17