You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Isn't it possible to make the app understandable for people instead of all those hieroglyphics and codes?
Any mistake or extra character will result in an incorrect QR code.
Can't you do everything with fields where only data can be entered?

10 minutes ago, anto said:

Isn't it possible to make the app understandable for people instead of all those hieroglyphics and codes?

That is what is being asked for earlier in the thread, basically, the tool would greatly benefit from having a mini UI built around it so people could just enter the pertinent details, e.g., First Name, Last Name, Address, Phone Number etc., for a Contact QR Code or  Email Address, CC, BCC, Subject, Message for an email or a plain URL for a web link and so on...

This is still in Beta so hopefully, we'll see some improvements to the tool in a future release...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

6 хвилин тому Hangman сказав:

That is what is being asked for earlier in the thread, basically, the tool would greatly benefit from having a mini UI built around it so people could just enter the pertinent details, e.g., First Name, Last Name, Address, Phone Number etc., for a Contact QR Code or  Email Address, CC, BCC, Subject, Message for an email or a plain URL for a web link and so on...

This is still in Beta so hopefully, we'll see some improvements to the tool in a future release...

For example, I can't even test it because I don't know what these codes do. And why should I remember it or look at manuals somewhere? The program is not made for programmers. I have to enter data and get the right result. Otherwise, this function will be useless.

4 minutes ago, anto said:

For example, I can't even test it because I don't know what these codes do.

I did a bit of testing, so you can have a play to see how you get on but yes, it's not straightforward unless you know what you're doing...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

12 minutes ago, myclay said:

Would be cool when creating invoices to be able to build QR-Codes for Sepa credit Transfers. EPC.

Interesting. Until now I thought SEPA was nothing more than the acronym for the Scottish Environment Protection Agency. :D

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I don't know why Canvarif was in such a rush to release a beta when it's not really a beta. It clearly lacks features like variable font support, the line width tool is half-finished (or is simply delivered flawed and algorithmically weak), and it also seems like most of the QR code setup isn't ready yet.

One of the great gifts of adulthood is indeed gaining wisdom on the importance of... timing. In all aspects. And likewise, learning to wait a bit for deliveries, as a customer.

I simply no longer believe that there are any professional graphic designers here. Everything follows suit. Just everything.

1 hour ago, Bit Disappointed said:

I don't know why Canvarif was in such a rush to release a beta when it's not really a beta. It clearly lacks features like variable font support, the line width tool is half-finished (or is simply delivered flawed and algorithmically weak), and it also seems like most of the QR code setup isn't ready yet.

One of the great gifts of adulthood is indeed gaining wisdom on the importance of... timing. In all aspects. And likewise, learning to wait a bit for deliveries, as a customer.

Because it's their app and they do as they see fit... 🤣

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

1 hour ago, ronnyb said:

Because it's their app and they do as they see fit... 🤣

Yes, that is indeed a fundamental principle at Boeing, for example. 🤪

One of many things I learned in my early working life, let's say when I was 20-25, was not to show work to clients too early in youthful arrogance and childlike eagerness. I knew exhaustively everything about what had been made (visible or not), what was coming, and what was not, but clients filled the void of knowledge with uncertainty or excessive expectations. Today, an assessment of timing is critical, and if there is the slightest thing that can cause unrest or worse, that clients go back to their home base and spread unrest, then things are really bad. I only show work in progress after assessment, and always live in a room with time for questions. But fundamentally and basically, show something that looks finished and convincing. Early involvement on a serious basis requires direct dialogue, live.

I simply no longer believe that there are any professional graphic designers here. Everything follows suit. Just everything.

12 hours ago, Hangman said:

I wrote a comment because there are 3 pages of comments from users and none from moderators. Will this be what is being done? Or is it a secret?

@Hangman Will it be possible to encrypt a paragraph or two of plain text?

3 hours ago, anto said:

I wrote a comment because there are 3 pages of comments from users and none from moderators. Will this be what is being done? Or is it a secret?

I have absolutely no idea what is planned, if anything, for the QR Code tool. I'm sure, despite there being no direct comments from the moderation team that they are reading the feedback and will take on board any practical comments and requests to improve things moving forward if they deem that to be warranted and a good use of resources but that's just my assumption...

13 hours ago, Bit Disappointed said:

I don't know why Canvarif was in such a rush to release a beta when it's not really a beta.

A beta version is a version in which new functions, even in a core version, are to be tested by a wide range of users. With an alpha, only a few test it. A beta is like a good wine, it matures over time. You were not perfect when you were born, but over the years you have developed into the person you are today.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

38 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Speak for yourself! :P

One of us is cleverer than you! :D

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

7 hours ago, anto said:

If you look back at the 2nd post in this topic you'll see a list of the bugs they've logged for it, which will give you some information:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Can even the loyal fanbase not just here admit that this beta was released too early with severely unfinished or unimplemented features, and that a normal reaction from normal and rational thinking customers is questions, doubts, and frustration? The wine analogy is completely inappropriately placed. In the context of software, a beta version is a pre-release of a software product that is nearly complete but may still contain bugs. It is not appropriate for a beta version to have half-finished features. Beta versions are released to test and gather feedback from users to identify and fix issues before the final release.

I'm beginning to doubt that I will use Serif's QR generator - but that depends on whether there will be an adequate implementation. The totally alpha proof of concept-like implementation leaves everything to the imagination, and it's not a cunning strategy towards customers who are not development sprint testers, but who may have the opportunity to quality assure and provide input in the absolute final stages.

Input in earlier stages should occur in the absolute earliest phases, and it is the task of usability experts with involved customers. What we are witnessing here, on the other hand, happens haphazardly in the last weeks, and guarantees half-baked products and maximizes the risk of poor and fundamental architecture.

29 minutes ago, Bit Disappointed said:

Can even the loyal fanbase not just here admit that this beta was released too early with severely unfinished or unimplemented features, and that a normal reaction from normal and rational thinking customers is questions, doubts, and frustration? The wine analogy is completely inappropriately placed. In the context of software, a beta version is a pre-release of a software product that is nearly complete but may still contain bugs. It is not appropriate for a beta version to have half-finished features. Beta versions are released to test and gather feedback from users to identify and fix issues before the final release.

I'm beginning to doubt that I will use Serif's QR generator - but that depends on whether there will be an adequate implementation. The totally alpha proof of concept-like implementation leaves everything to the imagination, and it's not a cunning strategy towards customers who are not development sprint testers, but who may have the opportunity to quality assure and provide input in the absolute final stages.

Input in earlier stages should occur in the absolute earliest phases, and it is the task of usability experts with involved customers. What we are witnessing here, on the other hand, happens haphazardly in the last weeks, and guarantees half-baked products and maximizes the risk of poor and fundamental architecture.

Is there any specific feedback you'd like to give on the feature at hand, or are all your comments attacking Serif's software development process? Are we in the beta forums or in the professional troll's forum?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

22 minutes ago, Bit Disappointed said:

Beta versions are released to test and gather feedback from users to identify and fix issues before the final release.

I think that is exactly what is happening, a Beta has been released and users are testing it, providing feedback, identifying bugs and other issues so the dev team can fix them before the RC version...

25 minutes ago, Bit Disappointed said:

I'm beginning to doubt that I will use Serif's QR generator - but that depends on whether there will be an adequate implementation.

Which means what exactly in practice? The QR Code addition in the 2.5.0 Beta is the implementation of the 'QR Code generator library'. Granted it would greatly benefit from a better front-end UI (something noted in the feedback and hopefully something taken on board by the dev team) but for all intent and purpose it functions as per the specs of the QR Code generator library...

So why or what in particular sows the seeds of doubt that you doubt you "will use Serif's QR generator"? At a base level, it works as advertised on the tin. Could the implementation be improved, of course it could, hence the feedback from many people who have tested it...

@Bit Disappointed
why not let them be able to fail earlier rather than later, and adjust with gathered feedback?

No paying customer is forced to participate in the beta program,
and those who want to, are here to give, not to receive a service.

Are you in on the product development processes of Serif?
How are you able to determine for your statements, which extent of a feature is minimum viable for what they want to get out of it, eventually, and for their product design process? Are you sure, they don't want early input from a wider user base, or shouldn't have any, but only from select "involved customers"? Involved customers are just as well those in the beta program.

If you don't want to be involved in the development (that's understandable) and only want to test the goodies, in order to get them earlier than the rest, this is a good point to reconsider participation in the beta program, as you're maximally disappointed at this point, meet reality and wait in line with all other recipients of the public update.

If you were just constructively helping Serif understand, what they can do to improve, in a gentle manner, that would be fine.
What I perceive is inappropriate mere seeking for attention, though. You know it better? Nice :) Apply that better in your own work. Trying to impose it on a team, that you are not even part of, is maximally uncalled for.

On 4/24/2024 at 10:55 AM, anto said:

For example, I can't even test it because I don't know what these codes do. And why should I remember it or look at manuals somewhere? The program is not made for programmers. I have to enter data and get the right result. Otherwise, this function will be useless.

Well the QR code itself is just a visual method of encoding a string of text. How you want to use that string of text can vary depending on what you are wanting to do. What you are saying is almost like saying you can't use paper envelopes because you don't know how the post office wants an address to be formatted.

With different devices and apps, the variables could be nearly infinite. Affinity might be able to invent a GUI for a few common scenarios, but for example, my action camera takes a string like this to set it's wifi connection, streaming URL, resolution, and bitrate.

{"ssid":"the-ssid-of-your-wifi","pwd":"your-wifi-key","res":"720p","rate":"0","dur":"0","url":"your-streaming-server-url"}

You can test the QR generator by simply entering any random string of text and see if your smartphone camera can understand the string as entered. It is only if you want to trigger certain features or commands in a third party device or app  that you need to know how that third party devices expects the string to be formatted.

53 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

Is there any specific feedback you'd like to give on the feature at hand, or are all your comments attacking Serif's software development process? Are we in the beta forums or in the professional troll's forum?

I have provided plenty of feedback on features in this forum; the root cause of far too many of the issues is, unfortunately, the process behind it, and therefore it's beyond pointless for customers to provide input at a hopelessly late stage. Just like Boeing's customers. It's completely valid criticism.

Using the term 'troll' in the context of my posts is also groundbreaking unserious, but classic internet.

50 minutes ago, Bit Disappointed said:

it's beyond pointless for customers to provide input at a hopelessly late stage

Wait I thought you said earlier the feature is at an alpha stage of development, unworthy of being tested by complex professional experts such as yourself.... I'm feeling a BitConfused....