You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

We are not, we are all very excited about what has been said and the future for Affinity. This thread is about your response not ours. As an employee of 24 years I am personally very pleased about what Ash has announced and the Affinity and Canva pledge.

https://affinity.serif.com/press/newsroom/affinity-and-canva-pledge/

Perhaps you're one of the staff that has been economical benefitted from this affair - that's why you're so positive...

Patrick - have you read ALL stories when small companies is eaten by big companies? 90% of all this ends in a bad situation for the little brand with all their employee...

Ashley hav'nt said one honest thing what's good with this affair for Serif - you can't have economical problems if we look at the figures the last three years, so, what's the real problem here for Serif to just lay down and be eaten up??

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

1 minute ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Do you think Serif made decisions made on not being profitable?

I disagree. Macromedia was shut down to remove a (near, relatively peer) competitor from the market. Canva wants to compete with Adobe, not with Affinity.

Of course Serif was in business to make a profit but they had....affinity(ok bad pun) with their users. The investment people behind canva couldn't care less about users of Serif programs. And talk about macromedia I mean as a company who once had great products but eventually faded out. The macromedia users were not at all happy when they were aquired.

1 hour ago, Ash said:

To followup on some of my comments yesterday, we are today enshrining our commitment to the Affinity community in 4 pledges made by the Affinity and Canva teams.

You can read about them here.

We do truly believe the coming together of Affinity and Canva is only going to be a good thing for our customers, staff and the development of our apps. We very much hope you will all continue to be with us on this journey.

All the best,

Ash

image.png

Thank you! I appreciate that you've come together with canva to clarify the future of affinity. I hope to continue being an affinity customer, especially since an affordable perpetual license for some quality apps is what made me a customer in the first place.

10 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

That scenario has been raised in the past (not specifically about Canva). I invite you to search the forum for the discussions and possible courses of action. There is no need to repeat it all again here.

Well there obviously is, since a lot of us are very concerned about our products now being in the hands of another company, and no details of how they will be protected has been provided. A 'pledge' means nothing if it isn't backed up with actual details of how this will be managed.

Have you got a link or details you can share that will put our minds at risk, so we don't have to search through hundreds of threads and posts?

1 hour ago, Ash said:

To followup on some of my comments yesterday, we are today enshrining our commitment to the Affinity community in 4 pledges made by the Affinity and Canva teams.

We do truly believe the coming together of Affinity and Canva is only going to be a good thing for our customers, staff and the development of our apps. We very much hope you will all continue to be with us on this journey.

All the best,

Ash

image.png

Strange - why should you (Serif) accelerate the rollout of features now after been bought by Canva??

It couldn't be the money that has limited Serif to hire people for a quicker development earlier - looking at Serif Ltd Europe and the figures for the three last year, there has been more than 45 million pounds in pure profit...

So, where have the money went? Not for stepping up your ability to make Affinity Suite adding features that we have missed the last six years...

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

7 minutes ago, AffntyXara said:

Of course Serif was in business to make a profit but they had....affinity(ok bad pun) with their users. The investment people behind canva couldn't care less about users of Serif programs. And talk about macromedia I mean as a company who once had great products but eventually faded out. The macromedia users were not at all happy when they were aquired.

Everyone knew Adobe only bought Macromedia for two reasons.. 1) to acquire Dreamweaver and Fireworks (they didn't have a competing product), and 2) to kill off the rest of the competing product lines.

19 minutes ago, Bit Disappointed said:

As soon as Canva encounters turbulence, such non-binding promises will expire.

In what way is this different from the situation before? Serif as well could have encountered turbulence, letting them reshape their business model. It is perfectly legitimate for you to distrust company promises phrased this way. But I don't see what this has to do with the acquisition.

56 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Who is this "we"? No need to answer, my question is rhetorical.

We is a summon on the majority - if you can't see tragic with this affair between Canva and Serif, it's your problem...

Some day you will wake up and discover the truth...

13 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

But panic spreads most easily through constant repetition of half-truths, assumptions and hypotheses 🙂

People can't believe what they say no more. There is no more Serif. Its just Canva. People have lives and jobs. People worked in Affinity. They can't wait 1, 2, 3 years to be sure Affinity stays. People don't want to invest their time in most likely a dead company now, with no future for professional designers.

😎

What was said by Ash yesterday was, "There are genuinely no plans for us to remove the availability of our apps to purchase as a perpetual licence. I will say it is possible in the future there may be an optional way to have them via a Canva subscription plan (which could also include other integrations with Canva / cloud services which you would not get with the perpetual version). But it’s very early days and there isn't a firm plan on that."

So whilst those assurances by Ash  yesterday and today (presumably after Canva cleared them in Australia)  are what he believes today.... next month it may all be different.  The Worry for me is the suggestion of a two tier system, subscription with more features and integrations (with Canva) and the perpetual with fewer features.  Will the perpetual loose the integration with the Stock libraries. The [Canva] Pixababy and Pexel? 

This does remind me of the Adobe pledges to keep Lightroom standalone.   Which technically they did.  V6.14 perpetual licences still work.  But they stopped all support for it a couple of weeks before google changed the Maps API and LR V6.14 maps stopped working.  The Fix was in the LR CC versions  before it happened. You can still move LR V6.14 from computer to computer, but if you hit the limit, it can take you all day to find someone at Adobe to talk to someone who will reset the installation count.  However, for all intents, the stand alone Lightroom is dead.  Adobe would not even discuss it in a face to face meeting a couple of weeks ago.

So  whilst the intent is there, I think that for many of us who have been burned by the likes of Adobe and are getting déjà vu, we are going to be somewhat sceptical until we see what actually happens.    The Good News is that for the foreseeable future by V2 Affinity apps will continue to work just as they did last week.

PS if that Affinity-Canva post means what it says about taking Affinity forward.... We do need a Lightroom replacement/DAM for Affinity. On perpetual licence to match the other apps.

www.JAmedia.uk  and www.TamworthHeritage.org.uk
[Win 11  | AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]

11 minutes ago, Altima Neo said:

Thank you! I appreciate that you've come together with canva to clarify the future of affinity. I hope to continue being an affinity customer, especially since an affordable perpetual license for some quality apps is what made me a customer in the first place.

New account since yesterday .... praising the lord and instantly being given high-five by Patrick and Ash ... any questions anyone?

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

@Ash Well then, thanks for the very late reply (the Affinity Canva pledge could just as easily have been communicated yesterday with the merger announcement). But let's see what the near future brings (a lot has been promised in the past in similar situations and circumstances of other companies, and in the end it turned out differently), I remain cautious, my wallet remains in my pocket for the time being.

3 minutes ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

In what way is this different from the situation before? Serif as well could have encountered turbulence, letting them reshape their business model. It is perfectly legitimate for you to distrust company promises phrased this way. But I don't see what this has to do with the acquisition.

The difference is its Canva. Its a soulless corporation for amateurs designers moms to make some medias. Its not Serif anymore, we all trusted before. If Serif said they need money most people will buy suit again, or even except the subscription for reasonable price, like $9.99 USD/month easily.

😎

1 hour ago, Ash said:

All the best,

Ash

image.png

This makes me feel way better. Thanks. I’m still bummed that an independent company had to get gobbled up by the borg, but that’s life these days. 
is there any timeline for items 2 and 3?

wishing the best to the Serif team!

1 hour ago, Ash said:

image.png

Like many I was shocked at yesterday’s announcement. These pledges are reassuring and dare I say it, they give me a tiny bit of optimism for what might be possible with greater funding and different skillsets.

More than anything, I hope the Affinity suite stays lean and fast. I’m all for carefully implemented new features, but I hope we don’t get Adobe style bloat.

Congratulations on the merger. I will reserve judgement for now, but there’s a huge opportunity for ‘Canva’ to prove us all wrong and to empower a community that Adobe lost many years ago.

Canva can kick me around a little, I guess, but if I hear Affinity staff is getting a raw deal I don't care how good or how cheap the software is, I won't be part of hurting good people's lives.

Please honor these pledges and please respect the people that got Serif this far.

1 hour ago, Ash said:

All the best,

Ash

image.png

This is very reassuring. Thank you.

40 minutes ago, monzo said:

I am absolutely not a willing customer of Canva, which is why I chose to spend my money with Serif.

However, since I now have no say in the matter, some reassurance could be provided by removing the requirement to authorise new installations of V2 products online, and any additional online callbacks to be removed.

That would back up any pledges with real action and support, for those of us who have been loyal customers of Serif for many years, so we can continue to use our 'lifetime' products on new devices, and not be at the mercy of activation by a company we did not purchase our software from.

If Serif Labs has some guts they release an update of the Affinity Suite that let us just use our serial numbers to activate the software - no need for online activation...

13 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

New account since yesterday .... praising the lord and instantly being given high-five by Patrick and Ash ... any questions anyone?

I don't have a need post on the forum regularly. This isn't exactly a high traffic social media destination. So what do you expect?

But Im just a hobbist artist. If you see my first post I was pretty critical about the situation. I'm still cautious.

Edited by Altima Neo

1 hour ago, R.I.P. Affinity 26.03.2024 said:

The difference is its Canva. Its a soulless corporation for amateurs designers moms to make some medias.

Can we please stop being so condescending and dismissive of others. I'm not a fan of Canva, but I know many individuals, business, non-profit orgs, and large brands who absolutely love it, as it enables them to create effective communications/media without having to hire (and wait for) a professional, which they often can't afford anyway. As for large brands, it enables their marketing departments to move at pace assembling their own brand assets and scheduling the publishing of social media campaigns in a much faster, and more coordinated manner than was available to them before.