I am in the midst of creating a multi-page test document and I am stumped trying to find a paragraph rules option.

Is such an option available in the Beta? If so, where can I find it? Otherwise I really do hope it will be included in a future update.

do you mean a ruled line above or below the paragraph?  Did you check the Styles dialog box: Decorations?  I think that's where you can put a line above the paragraph or below the paragraph. 

Edit Text Style 2018-09-01 09-24-18.png

11 minutes ago, Hank_Scorpio said:

I think decorations is a terrible name for it though! 

I'm inclined to agree. The word 'decorations' suggests something like fleurons.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

OMG!! I spent ages looking for it last night – and did come across it, but I think "Combine identical" was ticked and it didn't work the way I expected and thus dismissed it.

Finally got it working now (through the Paragraph tab) but I completely agree that "Decorations" is the most confusing and abysmal name to call it. That said, now that I've found it, I do like its functionality – even though I hate its name. 

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 14.35.28.jpg

I'm kind of ok with it.  It looks like it's being used consistently throughout the UI.   Picking up a new application usually entails learning how the developers named stuff.

7 minutes ago, EddCh said:

I do like its functionality – even though I hate its name

I don't see why it couldn't simply be called 'Paragraph Rules'. It's not as if the average user would think that was something to do with laying down the law about how paragraphs should behave!

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

1 minute ago, Dave Harris said:

Paragraph decorations can include filled boxes as well as rules. I suppose we could have called it "Rules and Boxes".

Nah. Because Decorations can encompass more than simple rules, I like the name. Short and memorable.

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

2212489.jpg.54852402514cda38b5e884d948f3b62e.jpg

something like this? :-)

...well in www styles text decoration means underlined links... possibly the name comes over from there. Not very smart use in there either...

If you want "decorations" name to be more suitable, then add decorative frames.

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko
Typesetter, Graphic Designer, Photographer
Skopje, Makedonija

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7
Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M )
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)
1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hard drive
UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED- Backlit Touch Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5