You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move data entry improvements

Hi Tim,c,
thank you very much for your videos. Unfortunately I still don't know 100%
how you solved the dots. I'm currently using the
Beta version of Affinity Designer in the current version.

I get the circle with the dots displayed, but the zooming in and rotating the dots.
How do you do that? With a keyboard shortcut? 

Thanks for your help! 

--
Apple 2020 Mac Mini M1 Chip (16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD)
Affinity V2 Universallizenz 2.3.1 + always latest beta

• Staff

I think on Tim's screen recording it's not showing the move data entry dialog where he's controlling the scale and rotation of the duplicates. See screenshot below.

• Create circle
  • Set dash pattern to be 0-2-0-0-0-0 in stroke panel
  • Set balanced dash pattern to on
  • Set "scale with object" to on
  • Hit return to bring up move data dialog
  • Set scale to e.g. 90%
  • Set rotation to e.g. 4 degrees
  • Set duplicates to e.g. 30

image.png

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

3 hours ago, Ash said:

I think on Tim's screen recording it's not showing the move data entry dialog where he's controlling the scale and rotation of the duplicates. See screenshot below.

• Create circle
  • Set dash pattern to be 0-2-0-0-0-0 in stroke panel
  • Set balanced dash pattern to on
  • Set "scale with object" to on
  • Hit return to bring up move data dialog
  • Set scale to e.g. 90%
  • Set rotation to e.g. 4 degrees
  • Set duplicates to e.g. 30

image.png

It does not work for Windows

1 minute ago, anto said:

It does not work for Windows

That's because you don't have 'Scale with Object' selected in the Stroke panel... :)

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi @anto

The expected behaviour is as follows:

• If you swap to another tool with the Move Data Entry panel open, the dialog and any object previews will disappear. 
  • If you use a different panel to make a change to the original shape, such as the stroke panel, any object previews will disappear whilst the shape is redrawn.

What you are showing in your video is expected, as the stroke is not committed until the slider is released, at this point the shape has finished redrawing and the duplicate previews are then shown.

I’m pretty disappointed that ‘Move Data Entry’ (Duplicate & Move) wasn’t added to the iPad platform…

Why?

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

On 12/2/2023 at 12:53 AM, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

I’m pretty disappointed that ‘Move Data Entry’ (Duplicate & Move) wasn’t added to the iPad platform…

Why?

I reactivate this question again:

Why didn’t iPad get the new function 'Move Data Entry’ (Move & Duplicate)?

<moderated to remove staff names>

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

34 minutes ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

I can't say why but the iPad versions have always had fewer features than the desktop ones, so it is not too surprising that this feature isn't implemented on iPad.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
45 minutes ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

Time restrictions. It is being considered for the iPad but all development takes resources 

Do NOT @ members of staff in posts. If staff choose to follow threads they will be notified. If all customers asked that the Managing Director or Devs answer their queries then they would have no time to do their work.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

18 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Time restrictions. It is being considered for the iPad but all development takes resources 

Do NOT @ members of staff in posts. If staff choose to follow threads they will be notified. If all customers asked that the Managing Director or Devs answer their queries then they would have no time to do their work.

Ok, thanks for that answer.

In the same time, this function seems like a core function that should be there simultaneously Between the platforms, but, I have Affinity Suite on all three platforms at home, but I often prefer using my big iPad Pro for much work…

Also, excuse me pinging staff here, should never happen again.

On 12/11/2023 at 2:23 PM, ashf said:

It would be nice if I could input a number with a unit in the scale instead of percentage.

How would that worK? I mean what would scale by 1 cm mean to a 4 cm square original? Does the original become 1 cm, 3 cm, or 5 cm?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Perhaps including the operator would be necessary... 

+1cm

Original square is 4cm, so each duplicate gains 1cm.

-1.5mm

Each duplicate reduces by 1.5mm.

I think the aim is to allow absolute differences in addition to the relative scaling that Affinity currently uses. 

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

5 minutes ago, ashf said:

But if formula is not supported, +1cm can be just 1cm.

But like @Old Bruce mentioned, without the + operator, that could be interpreted as scale all duplicates to 1 cm, all to 1 cm more than original size, or one cm less than original size. There would have to be something to resolve that ambiguity.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, ashf said:

Ok then lets add +

So then why not also - (minus) & all of the other applicable formulaic field expressions? AFAIK, support for that is already built into apps so it should not be too hard to add that to the move data fields -- IOW, add one & the others should come in for free, so to speak.

Affinity Photo