You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AI integration ?

Das Thema hatten wir erst vor kurzer Zeit, aber wenn Affinity mit KI beginnen sollte würde ich nicht mehr mir Affinity arbeiten, denn die KI zerstört jede Krativität beim Fotografieren, weil die nichts neues zeigen kann, weil sie mit betehenden Daten gefüttert ist! Bildbearbeitung mit Automatiken produziert nur Mittelwerte!

We only had this topic a short time ago, but if Affinity were to start with AI, I wouldn't work with Affinity anymore, because the AI destroys all creativity when taking photos because it can't show anything new because it's fed with existing data! Image processing with automatic functions only produces average values!

I would ask what you mean by AI. I’m sue the topic AI photo app and plugin to denoise and sharpen and it doesn’t destroy my creativity. AI art creation is another story to me, it might be fun to play with but in my testing of it it does nothing to help me create art as Westerwalder might agree with. So for me as aid to make some tools more powerful I am for it but not for much else. Some of the stuff Adobe is doing like using it to make graphic fonts is an interesting idea but I also have the feeling they would all look very similar very quickly. 

Sharpening, healing, denoising, upscaling, etc. -- Sure. Creating? No way. As long as AI is a tool to carry out my wishes, under my control, that's fine. When it starts "creating" by itself, no interest at all.

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7 | K&F Concept Nano-X filters
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

It remains to be clarified who owns the copyrights to the algorithm-generated images. Is it the author of the AI? Is it the user?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

1 minute ago, Komatös said:

It remains to be clarified who owns the copyrights to the algorithm-generated images. Is it the author of the AI? Is it the user?

In the US, the current decision is that no one owns them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Pretty impressed what online AI tools do these days…

Uploading three pictures (small part of a bigger pictures) that showing before and after AI sharpening/colorizing…

IMG_3107.jpeg

IMG_3106.jpeg

IMG_3108.jpeg

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

11 minutes ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

Pretty impressed what online AI tools do these days…

Uploading three pictures (small part of a bigger pictures) that showing before and after AI sharpening/colorizing…

AI-supported image optimization tools are, without a doubt, already a fine thing.

@walt.farrell

In Europe, there is a tendency for the authorship to lie with the AI developer.

Well, according to our former chancellor (Angela Merkel), the Internet is new territory. 😂

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Tools like sharpening etc is something we could want easily to be included in future Affinity updates. I do a lotto old photo restoration and while these tools can have variable quality they can do a lot to making some photos usable or retired in a way manually is impossible so I am all for it. It's the AI creating the whole photo or illustration I think is the wrong use for the technology. 

I think AI is very useful for selections (subjects, sky, objects, etc)

Affinity Photo 2.0.0.1640  Windows 11 Pro 22H2  CPUAMD Ryzen 3700X  RAM: 32 GB 3200 Mhz  GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB  NVMe M.2 WD Black Sn750 500GB   Monitors: 1 x Samsung 24" 1080p + 1 x Dell 22" 1050p

Ai tools are very expensive to develop. They need to be written in python because python is made for AI. Adobe photoshop has these tools because they charge a subscription for photoshop which means they have the money to develop them.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

There are a lot of good open source projects.

Affinity Photo 2.0.0.1640  Windows 11 Pro 22H2  CPUAMD Ryzen 3700X  RAM: 32 GB 3200 Mhz  GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB  NVMe M.2 WD Black Sn750 500GB   Monitors: 1 x Samsung 24" 1080p + 1 x Dell 22" 1050p

51 minutes ago, tzvi20 said:

Ai tools are very expensive to develop. They need to be written in python because python is made for AI. Adobe photoshop has these tools because they charge a subscription for photoshop which means they have the money to develop them.

As herhey mentioned there's a ton of open source projects which can do people and object recognition to a high standard of quality.

5 hours ago, tzvi20 said:

just to correct things a little, Python is just a wrapper using tons of various libraries. usually written in C++. however, these AI tricks require still lots of computational power and each of them require online cloud processing or sending data somewhere and receive the result. which might be a no-go for some users .. 

anyway, I would personaly also like some Affinity version of Neural filters currently available in Photoshop .. 

Some of the PS neural filters might be useful but things like Smart Portrait would be wasteful usages of Serif's resources.

I'd much rather some smarter tools to automatically select objects, people, skies or improvements to in-painting/content aware fill etc.

Cloud stuff is a no thanks for me, it's also expensive to run and locks us even more to Serif's servers than the internet activation introduced in V2 already does.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2023 at 7:49 PM, herhey said:

I think AI is very useful for selections (subjects, sky, objects, etc)

Agreed, AI to simplify workflows to get something tedious done with 80% of the result and 10% of the work, otherwise, I see no use for AI tools.

With Photoshop's AI tools, you still have to correct the sky selections, etc, which fail to get non-blue skies, night skies, reflections, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

The only reason I keep Skylum LuminarAI around is because it can do some nice selective things with skies and color. Not sure how much actual "AI" is involved, but those sorts of tools are useful. I also use Topaz Photo AI, but it's very image dependent. It can wreak havoc with some types of images, though it can be good for restorations. In general, I don't want my editor to be creating or inventing anything, just remapping what's there. The metric I use is if the image were used in court, would the processing disqualify it from being a reasonable facsimile of the scene? IMO, anything processed through Topaz would be highly questionable. Manual cleanup of noise and tonal values much less so. If Affinity is going to add AI tools, they have to be clearly identified and not replace any more standard tools.

I'd like AI to replace the worst assembly line tasks that just steal time from creatives, like sharpening and selecting hair or correcting the color balance of entire images or selections.  Professional photographers will demand this so that they or their assistants don't have to bill clients (or themselves) for image processing like they do today.

I'm way behind in my own photo processing because I simply don't have the time or don't want to spend hours on image processing. I have taken many photos in my work and life, and many of them have potential if they go through image processing. But I never get around to it.