You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I warp text in Affinity Designer?

• 2 months later...

I hope this comes soon, as I need it often. The sooner I don't have to revert to Photoshop to do things like this the better  :)

Affinity Designer 2.0.3 | Affinity Photo 2.0.3 | Affinity Publisher 2.0.3 | MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2015) Mac OS 12.6.2 Monterey

I hope this comes soon, as I need it often. The sooner I don't have to revert to Photoshop to do things like this the better  :)

Since your op mentioned doing this in Designer, yet at your last comment you say that you wish to not have to revert to Photoshop, you should know that Photo is Photoshop's equivalent. So Designer is not really your app that you want to use with the Warp Tool.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi ThinkArgent.com,

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

This is already on Designer's roadmap (which covers all new features until version 2.0) so it will come with one of the next updates. I'm referring to mesh warp distortions not to something similar to Warp Effects in Illustrator just to be clear. There's no eta for any specific feature (it depends on the development goes) so i can't add much more details at this point.

• 1 month later...

Would definitely be a great feature for 2.0

Unless it gets pushed off the roadmap, we'll see it before version 2.0. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 months later...

You can still recreate the whole graphic using AD, mind you in Adobe illustrator your fonts will be vector to use with Mesh Tool.

I normally place that PDF file on lower layer, locked and redraw what I have, if you know the name of the font and you have it in your system, then you can size the letters - convert curves- to match your PDF. Remember in AD you can skew top to bottom and left to right only.

This is a work around only.

I look forward to see how Mesh tool work in AD.

That is a SERIOUS need, and you haven't been able to implement it for more than two years? Ugh.  Instead of recreating their 30+ year old tools, how about doing something with text more DYNAMICALLY. That was where Macromedia was heading when they panicked and Adobe devoured them. Real time, easy to mess with. Not a horde of buttons and wireframes.

Oh really? This is a "SERIOUS need" – even capitalised – for you? Wow!

You won’t believe, but I have some other "serious needs", just like everybody else here has his own and favourite "serious needs". If the Affinity team would have had the intention, to build in all these "serious needs" into its apps within a period of "two years", I really believe, the only "serious need" for the team would be an extended stay in a mental hospital in order to heal reality distortion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/29/2015 at 11:21 AM, MEB said:

Hi yeshua20,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

It's not yet possible to distort/warp text in Affinity Designer. A Mesh warp/distort tool is already on Affinity Designer's roadmap to be implemented later.

Hi MEB - 

Is there an easy / beginner way to create this sloped/tapered text in either Designer or Photo? I have both. Thanks.

33 minutes ago, Ariana M said:

Is there an easy / beginner way to create this sloped/tapered text in either Designer or Photo? I have both. Thanks.

If raster images suit your need, its quite easy to use the the mesh warp/perspective tool. If you require vector, the Photo export can be run thru a 3rd party vector tracer, and brought into Designer.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 6 months later...
On 12/29/2015 at 11:21 AM, MEB said:

Hi yeshua20,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

It's not yet possible to distort/warp text in Affinity Designer. A Mesh warp/distort tool is already on Affinity Designer's roadmap to be implemented later.

Hey MEB, I hope you mean this feature (when it’s released), will be available for both, desktop and iOS apps. Pleeeese??

—(|)—

I agree, general envelope warping tools are only of the only useful features still lacking in Affinity, and they are implemented really badly in illustrator. I still find myself still firing up Corel on my junktop every now and then to envelope text sometimes, haha. 

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What farukkk said. I'm in the middle of something now, vectorising an image. All I need to do is slightly warp some text. Now I have to try and find my old Adobe Illustrator log in details and install the dreaded Adobe software.
Hate the Adobe Suite, and I still cannot get my head around Affinity not releasing a basic text warp tool for Designer. I've been reading the original post, and it goes back to 2015.
This isn't any hate on Affinity, love the software, but I cannot see how anyone doing any graphic design can not go back to Illustrator for this one tool. It's such a staple tool for any sort of logo design. Boggles the mind why it isn't a priority!?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 11:14 AM, Kiarian said:

What farukkk said. I'm in the middle of something now, vectorising an image. All I need to do is slightly warp some text. Now I have to try and find my old Adobe Illustrator log in details and install the dreaded Adobe software.
Hate the Adobe Suite, and I still cannot get my head around Affinity not releasing a basic text warp tool for Designer. I've been reading the original post, and it goes back to 2015.
This isn't any hate on Affinity, love the software, but I cannot see how anyone doing any graphic design can not go back to Illustrator for this one tool. It's such a staple tool for any sort of logo design. Boggles the mind why it isn't a priority!?

Exactly. Corel Draw was able to warp text from the start MANY, MANY years ago. Basically Affinity is a good program but it's disappointing that any vector program in 2018 is incapable of warping text since it's such an important tool for any designer.

I liked CorelDraw, They should have made a Mac version.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions