You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[ADe] Select same color / fill / stroke / appearance

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It is incomprehensible to me that this feature so long requested and by so many is not only not already implemented but has no ETA.

Add to the growing list of frustrations currently making AD untenable as a replacement for AI.

Removing unused colours and selecting same objects by colour/stroke/fill style are two things I find myself wanting to do a lot and as my current knowledge goes, have a significant time-cost to work around. But, I'll admit I'm still learning the program so perhaps I'm missing something.

Here's a situation I found myself in just yesterday: I had made a palette out of the colours in my document (great feature BTW) but I had a two-tone gradient backdrop so it pulled dozens of colours from said gradient and placed them in my palette. I thought to myself, "no worries, I'll shift click them like the OS and bulk delete them" but couldn't find a way to do that.

Am I missing something or is the only way to delete multiple colours doing them one by one? Seems like Affinity have thought about (and done a great job at) creating palettes but not thought about cleaning them up.

• 4 weeks later...

Really hope 'select same fill color' and similar options get added soon in AD.

I do feel that AD is really great but some of these basic important features make AD much more difficult to use in a production environment. It would be great to see a focus on some of the less flashy features  that are very important to production work. Select same fill color can make a job that would take 45min into a job that would take 5min.

You don't need "select same fill" if you work ONLY with global colors. Changing global color will change ALL objects with that color. So, Affinity can remove standard color feature from their apps.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

1 hour ago, Petar Petrenko said:

You don't need "select same fill" if you work ONLY with global colors. Changing global color will change ALL objects with that color. So, Affinity can remove standard color feature from their apps.

That covers exactly one use case for "select same". In my experience, it's more often something other than changing colors that I want to do when selecting same:
Add strokes to all.

Create compound path (or Add).

Move to a specific layer.

Delete.

These are just a few examples off the top of my head that are things I've needed to do to all objects of a certain color that using global colors doesn't fix.

Yes, I understand you, but you can remove from your mind, at least, one wish. :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

3 minutes ago, spedwig said:

That covers exactly one use case for "select same".

Right. Usually I open a drawing which I have gotten from somewhere else or generated with other software, notice that all blacks are rich blacks (again), select all rich black lines ("select same line colour") and replace them with K100... I have not seen any global color here.

On 8/25/2017 at 0:13 PM, Fixx said:

Right. Usually I open a drawing which I have gotten from somewhere else or generated with other software, notice that all blacks are rich blacks (again), select all rich black lines ("select same line colour") and replace them with K100... I have not seen any global color here.

I totally agree. Many times in a studio environment you are dealing with many different types of files from clients and other artist that may need adjusting.

These features are the difference between a very simple task and a very tedious one. Time = money in many of these cases.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just made an account on this forum to leave this comment because selecting objects with the same fill/border color is a deal-breaker. I've been successfully testing out AD with projects and using it for work, but this just stopped my project in it's tracks. I also realize the "global colors" work great, but only after they've been implemented. When I bring in artwork from somewhere else (let's say a really complicated SVG bar chart with 4 different color bars) there's no way to select all the pieces I want to MAKE THEM GLOBAL.

+1 and then some

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought after a year since I last checked, this topic would have become a priority - as it is for sooo many users! Don't get me wrong - you are doing a great job for such a small team, but why implement Portuguise and Russian before this MUST HAVE feature? Again THIS IS A MUST! Hire some folks. Please hurry, I don't wanna go back to Illustrator and live with my parents!!!

I'm trying an evaluation version of AD, as a possible replacement of AI. The lack of smart selection is a deal-breaker for me. How many times did I select strokes of a given weight, or changed colors for a specific combination of weight & color... I'm usually editing EPS output from other programs that can happily spit out thousands of strokes in complex graphs. No way I'll be selecting them by hand!

You may dream of a neater, grander way to implement criterion-based selection than AI's, but if it's taking too much time then in the meantime please ape their elementary solution... it's really not rocket science.

On 11/16/2017 at 3:44 PM, LennartGäbel said:

I thought after a year since I last checked, this topic would have become a priority - as it is for sooo many users! Don't get me wrong - you are doing a great job for such a small team, but why implement Portuguise and Russian before this MUST HAVE feature? Again THIS IS A MUST! Hire some folks. Please hurry, I don't wanna go back to Illustrator and live with my parents!!!

I totally agree! (very funny about the parents too!)

I really hope that on one of the next major updates we can see some production oriented changes that focus on the less flashy features and address many of the features that are used by designers in a production environment every day. I know the flashy features may sell the product but the 'boring' features that are missing are the ones that keep people using a product for production on jobs.

3 hours ago, JeffrySG said:

I really hope that on one of the next major updates we can see some production oriented changes that focus on the less flashy features and address many of the features that are used by designers in a production environment every day. I know the flashy features may sell the product but the 'boring' features that are missing are the ones that keep people using a product for production on jobs.

Agreed. You know what helps sell more licenses? When I can honestly recommend the software to fellow designers. Until basic stuff like this is taken care of, I can't really do that.

I have been using Designer and Photo now for a few months and like the programs very much. I was a user of Illustrator and Photoshop for many years but my old (CS5) versions were becoming incompatible with Mac OS updates and I am not going to be held hostage by their subscription fees. As you say, you are a small group of developers, so I’m not going to hammer the point of missing features - you are doing a great job and I never expected “clones” of Adobe. I have been using Inkscape for some things (transforming between objects and colors for example - “interpolate” in Inkscape and saving as .eps or .svg for parts of projects, then importing into Designer) and it has been working well. However, to throw in my two cents worth, THE most frustrating omission and one that can waste hours on a project is the inability to select by some attribute (fill/stroke color/weight etc.) Just saying…

I agree with this thread.I also just made an account to address this.

Selecting in AD is tedious.Select same options are a must.

Also creating an outline on an object to a measurement,either + or - of the object as a seperate object.

I drag and drop into Inkscape to use these tools.