You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[ADe] Select same color / fill / stroke / appearance

54 minutes ago, fde101 said:

No.

Tags would be applied to arbitrary layers within a document and would be independent of the ordering of the layers - they would not be layers themselves, so such a "switch" would have no meaning.

OK. Good to know that you're the one designing it :)

12 hours ago, fde101 said:

Tags would be applied to arbitrary layers within a document and would be independent of the ordering of the layers

I, too, have in mind that tags are independent of layer order. OTOH I find @CLC's idea of a layer property 'on top on master page' or 'stay at bottom on master page' compelling 🙂
Just like e.g. printable or not. (Question remains how do multiple 'stay on top' layers interact?).

This again could become an automatically added tag and could be searched for.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

11 hours ago, dominik said:

on top on master page' or 'stay at bottom on master page

That would be a property of the master page itself, and is something I had considered previously, but as global layers would eliminate the need for that and are more generic, I didn't want to suggest it for fear that it might actually happen and the developers reduce the priority of implementing the more important global layers functionality.

9 hours ago, fde101 said:

I didn't want to suggest it for fear that it might actually happen and the developers reduce the priority of implementing the more important global layers functionality.

That's a good point. But I am not so sure how much influence we have with our discussions on the developer's priorities 😉

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

On 9/12/2020 at 2:58 AM, fde101 said:

Hardly... and as others have pointed out this has been done previously in other software, so there is precedent.

From what I gathered, Serif always wants to do things their way, a feature is nearly never the same as in other apps (which can be good, but this is not always the case).

But I hope they do it right if they decide to implement object tagging.

In case, anyone did not notice this yet:

Changes Since 1.9.0
- Select Same / Select Object functionality. I'm happy to consider requests for extra options, so if you have a favourite, just say...

Currently it's only available on Mac. I assume this will change shortly.

d.

A screenshot from the Mac beta would be nice.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

@Jowday; I have downloaded the beta for my MacOS and YES, there are two new items in the "Select" menu now:

- Select Same

- Select Object

I haven't checke every possible feature but. But for me most important function would be "select same" - "fill color".

When working with my example file I fount that select same - fill color did not select all objects with the value 'white' (CMYK 00 00 00 00). I will have to check that with the developers.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-16 um 09.56.35.png

• Staff
17 hours ago, dominik said:

I assume this will change shortly.

Yes very shortly

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

5 hours ago, uhebeisen said:

@Jowday; I have downloaded the beta for my MacOS and YES, there are two new items in the "Select" menu now:

- Select Same

- Select Object

I haven't checke every possible feature but. But for me most important function would be "select same" - "fill color".

When working with my example file I fount that select same - fill color did not select all objects with the value 'white' (CMYK 00 00 00 00). I will have to check that with the developers.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-16 um 09.56.35.png

thank god finally they are going for this. btw nice water decals sheet you got.

6 hours ago, uhebeisen said:

... for me most important function would be "select same" - "fill color".

I think it is down to how the object was coloured. If you make a pure white (and apply it) using RGB and another using the CMYK choice then they are two separate colours. Big Fail in my opinion.

Having said that I do like that Global Colours are not selected when they are the same as another object.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Old Bruce, if I understand you correct: if the not selected white objects were created with RGB settings  and then copied to the example file which had its document setup (as well as the color wheel) set to CMYK then this would be the cause.

White objects drawn in RGB  are different to white objects drawn in CMYK? This might be the case since I have copied a few insignias from a colleagues file. But checking them now in my example file the color values are set to all zero values. Therefore I assume the objects are now converted to the CMYK color mode.

When opening the example file in AI and doing a "select same" - "fill color" all the objects are selected.

35 minutes ago, uhebeisen said:

Old Bruce, if I understand you correct: if the not selected white objects were created with RGB settings  and then copied to the example file which had its document setup (as well as the color wheel) set to CMYK then this would be the cause.

White objects drawn in RGB  are different to white objects drawn in CMYK? This might be the case since I have copied a few insignias from a colleagues file. But checking them now in my example file the color values are set to all zero values. Therefore I assume the objects are now converted to the CMYK color mode.

I tested by making some objects and colouring them white, some using the RGB colour pane sliders and some with the CMYK colour pane sliders. The two sets are all 255, 255, 255 and 0, 0, 0, 0 when I look at them but they are treated as two separate colours when I try and select same fill. So this has nothing to do with the copy from your colleague.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, Chapit Zulkefli said:

Thanks, Affinity for hearing us. 
This helps me a lot.

Whilst it’s great that this feature is now included, there’s no evidence that this 26 page thread had any impact on the inclusion of the feature.

Given the 7 years or whatever it is since the start of the thread (can’t remember and haven’t checked) it would be hard to believe that this feature wasn’t just always destined to be included in v1.9. 

2 hours ago, robinp said:

Whilst it’s great that this feature is now included, there’s no evidence that this 26 page thread had any impact on the inclusion of the feature.

Given the 7 years or whatever it is since the start of the thread (can’t remember and haven’t checked) it would be hard to believe that this feature wasn’t just always destined to be included in v1.9. 

its okay, at least they put that in. i just want to say thanks.