You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

@NaulisJakke

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

Unless you plan on asking for a long extension you may well have to add these manually for now. I . Good luck with the Ph.D

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
1 hour ago, NaulisJakke said:

Dare I ask though: what is a ’long’ extension? Is there any sort of rough guestimate as to how long it will take? Years? 

You are always welcome to ask, but at the moment we do not comment on timelines for unreleased/unannounced new features, sorry. Suffice to say it is not in the current 1.8.0 beta and therefore I do not think it will be in this 1.8.0 release.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

AfPub team,

start using Publisher and I love it, it has friendly tools for flyers and posters and broshure,   but when I start to layout book I notice there is no footnote/endnote....

I really want to switch using AFPub, is this going to be possible in the next versions, I read that in the next (1.8) will not be but maybe in a year...

- Also I notice that when placing text tables and graphic from docx or RTF are not placed. It will be great to have them as embeded and pins.

- I would like to have Cyrilic language dictionary to at least one language ex. russian so justification, kerning and tracking text, hyphenation  on Cyrilic word be the visually smooth.

I will be great styles placed from docx or rtf to be more compact, but this is maybe because of cyrilic language.

Hi dambova,

and welcome to the discussion … :)

As you know, Cyrillic isn’t a language, but a script system. If you want to add a Russian dictionary (or a dictionary for any other language that is written in Cyrillic letters), there are some threads about adding dictionaries:

Hope that helps. By the way, it is advisable to make new threads for feature requests, as they may be overlooked otherwise.

Alex :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm quite new to the Affinity products, but I can say that right now footnotes is what I'm missing most. I've seen there's already a predefined style to include them manually, which might be ok if the book only has a few footnotes and you use symbols or numbers for a single page and not sequential numbering for the whole document.

I suppose endnotes would do as a kind of workaround and might be easier to implement and make some people happy.

I just left Adobe InDesign because I was convinced that Affinity Publisher was a program with just as many great features at a much more manageable price.  I am a retired clergyman, a published author who has published a number of articles and essays and am working on my third book.  Imagine my consternation when, just a few minutes ago, I discovered that Affinity has not figured out how to include them. In reading on Google there are all kinds of promises that it is on the way and excuses that managing the size in a way that allows it to expand with the size is creating an insurmountable hurdle.  InDesign, PageMaker before it, Coral Draw, Microsoft Publisher, etc., all of which I have used at one time or another, have all got it figured out.  If you wish to be a useable resource for writers then this needs to be available ASAP.  

I could migrate back to Adobe, but am loathe to.  They are only interested in large corporate accounts - which I am not, and which I imagine the lion's share of your customer base and your anticipated customer base are not.  

Please (now I am begging), add this feature soon!

I had Indesign in my Creative suite edu version, the last one before the subscription policy of Adobe. With advancing MacOs versions it became less and less reliable and news about  Affinity Publisher were a new and glorious promised land. But then it began: postponing of the launches. But I thought that I'm in no hurry because I had to to write my thesis first. But what was my serious mistake was to imagine that since the launch took so long we were going to get a fully operational product. I don't really get this - isn't footnotes/endnotes such an elemental part of a publishing software that you don't get to call it a publishing software without that? I mean, because Affinity Photo and Affinity Design are so professional I took it for granted that Publisher was to be launched to that same high-end level. But now, we are starting a new circle of waiting with no idea how long this one's going to last. It is so frustrating to be forced to resort to a subscription of InDesign.

• Staff
5 minutes ago, fde101 said:

This thread appears to be yet another duplicate of the one here:

agreed, and merged

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, danzefirelli said:

I realy need the footnotes function. When it will be available? Thanks

Only Serif knows their plans and priorities, and they generally do not announce upcoming changes ahead of time. The new functions just show up one day in a beta release.

We have no idea when they plan to release footnote support. It could still show upi in1.8.x, but might not appear until 1.9 or later.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

You're welcome, danzefirelli.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

I purchased this software specifically to use to publish books.  Without footnotes and endnotes, this program is completely useless to me.  I find it completely shocking that this feature doesn't exist in what looks like an otherwise excellent program.  I'm exceptionally disappointed and frustrated.

3 hours ago, J@HWC said:

I purchased this software specifically to use to publish books.  Without footnotes and endnotes, this program is completely useless to me.  I find it completely shocking that this feature doesn't exist in what looks like an otherwise excellent program.  I'm exceptionally disappointed and frustrated.

If you purchased it from the Affinity Store within the last fourteen days you can email affinityreturns@serif.com to request a refund.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)