You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'll add my vote for footnote and endnote support.

> Hope you can implement it in a similar way like in InDesign, . . .

Please, Affinity, whatever you do, don't look at InDesign's notes. Footnotes are at the document level in InDesign, they should be at the level of the story. That way each story can have its own numbering style and start number. It should also be possible (as it isn't in InDesign), to set the first footnote in a text as an uncued note. And users should be able to define their own sequence and appearance of note symbols (asterisk, pilcrow, dagger, double dagger, paragraph symbol, etc.).

> Visit any university library and you'll find that endnotes replaced footnotes long ago, perhaps in the 1950s.

Complete nonsense. Academic publishers prefer footnotes.

> In the era before computers, endnotes were far easier to typeset.

That's why notes were set as endnotes at some stage. Endnotes hung on for non-academic texts and in texts published by penny-pinching publishers, but nowadays footnotes are preferred by many. Footnotes are still more labour-intensive than endnotes, but the difference in effort is not nearly as big as it used to be.

> In today's world, their appearance at the bottom of a page is seen as clutter by most readers. 

In my experience, readers just get annoyed by having to go to the end of the book (or worse, to the end of the chapter in multi-authored volumes). 

On 9/15/2018 at 11:54 AM, Peter Kahrel said:

In my experience, readers just get annoyed by having to go to the end of the book (or worse, to the end of the chapter in multi-authored volumes). 

Exactly. I don't want to scout for footnotes somewhere else in the book, particularly, where there are many of them.

Obviously, with a very few notes in the document placing them at the back of the chapter or at the end the book is acceptable and oftentimes desirable.

And I agree with Peter. We need greater flexibility than in indesign.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

On 8/31/2018 at 4:05 PM, Seneca said:

I'm sure the dev team are already working on this.

:34_rolling_eyes:

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

+1 for footnotes and endnotes. :)

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

And by adding support for bibliography and Reference Tools like JabRef, Zotero and Medeley it will be even easier to make good references/endnotes/footnotes...
That way we can actually drop Words or other word prosessors for writing and go stright to Publisher to do all our work for books and reports that need references and bibliographies...

Would be great...

On 9/15/2018 at 12:54 PM, Peter Kahrel said:

I'll add my vote for footnote and endnote support.

> Hope you can implement it in a similar way like in InDesign, . . .

Please, Affinity, whatever you do, don't look at InDesign's notes. Footnotes are at the document level in InDesign, they should be at the level of the story. That way each story can have its own numbering style and start number. It should also be possible (as it isn't in InDesign), to set the first footnote in a text as an uncued note. And users should be able to define their own sequence and appearance of note symbols (asterisk, pilcrow, dagger, double dagger, paragraph symbol, etc.).

> Visit any university library and you'll find that endnotes replaced footnotes long ago, perhaps in the 1950s.

Complete nonsense. Academic publishers prefer footnotes.

> In the era before computers, endnotes were far easier to typeset.

That's why notes were set as endnotes at some stage. Endnotes hung on for non-academic texts and in texts published by penny-pinching publishers, but nowadays footnotes are preferred by many. Footnotes are still more labour-intensive than endnotes, but the difference in effort is not nearly as big as it used to be.

> In today's world, their appearance at the bottom of a page is seen as clutter by most readers. 

By adding support for  bibliography and Reference Tools like JabRef, Zotero and Medeley we would get everything needed, and it the notes/bibliography would be formated correctly all the time, with minimal effort... 

That way we can actually drop Words or other word prosessors for writing and go stright to Publisher to do all our work for books and reports that need references and bibliographies...

On 9/16/2018 at 3:38 PM, Seneca said:

Exactly. I don't want to scout for footnotes somewhere else in the book, particularly, where there are many of them.

Obviously, with a very few notes in the document placing them at the back of the chapter or at the end the book is acceptable and oftentimes desirable.

And I agree with Peter. We need greater flexibility than in indesign.

We would get all the flexibility needed if they would support Bibliography and Reference Tools like JabRef, Zotero and Medeley?

Please add me to the list of those wanting footnotes, endnotes, etc.

I realise that margin notes can be mimicked easily once anchoring graphics to paragraphs is fixed.

I use Spacemacs. LaTeX, and Auctex at present. Though a bit old fashioned it does footnotes with ease. So, I am guessing that Affinity Publisher will have them eventually anyway.

On 9/3/2018 at 3:40 PM, Mike Perry said:

Add me to those voting for footnotes and endnotes, but with a strong stress on the later. Visit any university library and you'll find that endnotes replaced footnotes long ago, perhaps in the 1950s. In the era before computers, endnotes were far easier to typeset. In todays world, their appearance at the bottom of a page is seen as clutter by most readers. And being able to have both in the same document would be handy. Footnotes could be used at the bottom of a page to clarify ideas. Endnotes far away could be used to give references that most people don't read.

I would, however, agree with those who'd like to see footnotes handled in a more powerful way. Untangling Tolkien, my day-by-day chronology of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings was done in Framemaker, which allowed me create the equivalent of footnotes for references to the source in LOTR in a sidebar alongside the text to which it applies. That worked far better than bottom of the page footnotes or endnotes. I can't do that in ID.

Seriously? Giving the information on the page is way more user-friendly than having to constantly refer to another page. Function over form on this one – we are relaying information here, not sweeping it out of sight to make the page less 'cluttered'. If your footnotes look rubbish, then it is probably the designer....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  1. I agree that footnotes are essential for a professional DTP application
  2. Endnotes are not essential if there is an option, like in PagePlus, to place footnotes at the end of the story or at the bottom of a page, or column. Ideally, one would have both, but footnotes per story would be a good start.
  3. For publications with lots of short footnote references, columns for footnotes would be the icing on the cake. I wrote a tutorial on how to do this in PagePlus, but it is a workaround at best.

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

20 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Footnotes at the end of the story *are* endnotes.

Almost, but not quite. Endnotes are placed at the end of the story, while footnotes are placed at the bottom of the text frame. PagePlus has both. The option to place footnotes immediately after the end of the text before a page break, or at the end of the story has been a feature request for many years.

2147411925_FootnotesandEndnotes.png.b07b5e5d366f0cb8fc91be176658fcd4.png

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

Footnotes may not be essential for a general non-fiction work, where either no referencing is given or endnotes will suffice. However footnotes are essential in any serious academic work. The reader of which should not have to keep on jumping between pages and the end of a chapter to see the reference. I hope we will see this feature soon.