Clyde

1bit / bitmap mode colour format?

Hm... just another case I had to use my old PS6 again. :$

I am currently working on Czech version of the comic book where the original data contains the artwork in 300ppi CMYK & inks (black&white page) in 1200ppi 1bit tiff images. I am editing all B&W pages in Affinity Photo and export them back as TIFF files. Unfortunately I had to re-saved them in PS in Bitmap mode / 50% threshold as AP doesn't support it... yet. Please add (at least) the export TIF in Bitmap mode. It would be very appreciated ;)

Btw, the colour TIFF pages required little bit of editing / retouching as well but here I had to use PS only as I had a lot of issues with shifted colours, missing layers and deadline was so close. Once it's finished I will ask for support and "reverse engineering" here (well, not in this topic of course) as I want to know the limitations of Photo and/or Designer to edit comic books... and Publisher as well even I don't prepare the final PDF for print, this part is done by another guy in InD.

Anyway I still believe in Affinity!

On 5/30/2019 at 2:40 PM, longstreth said:

I'm a cartoonist looking for an alternative to Photoshop and was bummed to find out (after purchase) that Affinity Photo does not have a bitmap mode, which is essential to my practice. As stated above, the printing process for comics uses black and white bitmap 1200dpi TIF files for the lineart, which is overprinted above the CMY plates. Until this feature is incorporated I'll have to search elsewhere for a workaround (Clip Studio Paint, etc.)

Me too!!!!!

It really would be helpful to get the 1-Bit mode implemented. It's been on the feature request list for nearly 4 years now .... Aside the above mentioned areas you need it for supplying coating layers for print. 

iCore i7-3770, 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, Windows 10 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher latest final & beta
http://www.timobierbaum.com

1 Bit export would do the job ... Still would be nice to have a preview with adjustable threshold ... even if I would have to export a picture to publisher ... (hard to understand the devs decision, since there seem to be many reasons to have this mode and it's no rocket science to flatten a grayscale pic to 1 bit. And I guess TIF would be a desirable format as well next to PDF).

Just my 2 cents ...

iCore i7-3770, 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, Windows 10 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher latest final & beta
http://www.timobierbaum.com

I have one crazy suggestion. There is an option to switch to different view modes in Designer (vector, pixel, pixel retina, outline), even to split views. I cannot see this view modes in Photo now, only in Designer but what about to add "1-bit view" to all Affinity apps? The idea is to get realtime preview of the artwork even the apps will still work in X-bit grey / colour mode. Make it sense or is that stupid suggestion? I don't know... 

Snímka obrazovky 2019-10-02 o 21.16.26.jpg

Creating 1-bit lookalike is not a problem. Threshold filter makes perfectly good B&W image (and as it is nondestructive you can turn it off/on like preview). You can even export it to 2 colour/B&W PNG. It is then 1-bit truly, but it is not true 1-bit bitmap image, it is 1-bit indexed colour image. It does not behave in InDesign like 1-bit bitmap image. 

This export bitmap export option should be added, preferably to TIF format export.

Hi there,

I completely agree with what Fixx said.
To me preparing my work ready to print is vital for 2 specific main reasons (there are others too but they are mainly related to my workflow).

1. I want my artwork to be print-ready so that i have control or let's say legal certainty and using a bitmap to tone an image with Spotcolors is the usual way how prepress will handle it.
I do comic art and the reasons why this is important here has already been sufficiently explained earlier.

2. I have been working in a prepress department for quite a while and I do want them to have exactly what they want if need be and have them not necessarily do it themselves because the very least it will cause is a delay which of course might provoke other problems.

So yes, bitmap is absolutely necessary and other prepress related features such as a preview of color-separation and overprinting.

:)