You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Line (Stroke) Width Tool

One other thing to consider is renaming the 'Pressure' graph in the Stroke panel to Profile, as it's not always reflective of what controller/data (velocity, pressure, etc) is affecting the width profile of the stroke. Also, the Stroke pressure graph itself has a button labelled 'Save Profile', so simply renaming it to profile would make it much clearer. Then adding a 'Profile' attribute in the Attributes panel (see my previous post) to indicate strokes that have profile data applied would make things much clearer for users. 

image.thumb.png.0ef98877d5dba81a67b8b69f5658b9c4.png

The profile controller (see above) in the pencil tool can be set to velocity, pressure, etc, while the Stroke profile graph (see below) uses inconsistent language with the profile graph always labelled 'Pressure', with the 'Save Profile' button confusing things further. Using consistent language and labels will help user understanding.

image.png.5ff25b267d5398d8eb73a598ebf25bea.png

Edited by Bryan Rieger
Updated images.

• Staff
2 minutes ago, EricP said:

Thanks for this feature, it's going to be great

Found an issue when expanding strokes

image.thumb.png.e774fde9141bcf66b8e4608700871b1d.png

image.thumb.png.9e39123e1f4926ffbd17296cc439c151.png

Could you attach a copy of that line with the curve (pre-expanded please). I've got one to expand slightly incorrectly, but not had anything expand quite like that has!

9 minutes ago, EricP said:

Thanks for this feature, it's going to be great

Found an issue when expanding strokes

image.thumb.png.e774fde9141bcf66b8e4608700871b1d.png

image.thumb.png.9e39123e1f4926ffbd17296cc439c151.png

Oooooh, looks like something straight out of FontLab Studio 5.x…

3 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

I love this! Works great! 

Only thing that's related to this tool that I hope gets improved is this panel:

image.png.f0016f31feeaaa36d37f2ee639abb832.png

It's too small. Being able to resize it and the Profile feature could be more global so other features could reuse them, i.e. brush settings. Also needs an option to invert the profile.

1. And I hate it that the end points often get moved together. It's a real trial and error clicking them and hoping you can get to move just one of them.

2. Also, when you make a steep curve profile with a high peak or low valley, it can be that you can't actually double click to add a pressure point in the graph, because it is out of view.

3. Could the option be added that the graph is not an interpolate curve? I'd like to specify on a per point basis whether it's a linear or smooth pressure transition.

4. If the panel ends up being reworked, please add the reset pressure button to the strole panel immediately? That'll save lots of clicks, especially if you can reset multiple curves this way at once. Perhaps adding a reset shortcut could also be added?

5. Will the bug that strokes cannot be expanded when they have a pressure curve applied (i.e. the pressure curve is omitted and treated as single width) also be fixed?

That said, I'm really happy to finally see this tool. It's been on the top of my wish list for a long time! 🥳🎉

50 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

the end points often get moved together

For closed curves, it's a Good Thing™.
Perhaps the profile panel should be a bit smarter and differentiate between closed and open curves.

52 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

3. Could the option be added that the graph is not an interpolate curve? I'd like to specify on a per point basis whether it's a linear or smooth pressure transition.

Agreed

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I usually have the issue with open curves. Can the pressure points be used to change where a profile starts as well? Say you reuse a profile, but need to take an object's rotation or perspective into account.

• Staff
11 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

I usually have the issue with open curves. Can the pressure points be used to change where a profile starts as well? Say you reuse a profile, but need to take an object's rotation or perspective into account.

There is an indicator on the nodes themselves to let you know if you're changing one or both.
When they have a dot in the middle it means you're affecting both start and end node. If there isn't then it will only adjust the one you change. You can single click on them to switch between the two states.

Adjusting both start and end node position:

image.png

Adjusting single node position:

image.png

Finally this feature arrived. 🙂

Unfortunately not impressed. You should look at usability from bigger players, or even Amadine. Much easier and much more precise. 

I also see some pretty weird or unorganic shapes with even pretty basic editing. Never had such trouble in other programs.

I instantly saw the jagged artifacts after pulling a few nodes - you could too, Serif. This is not ready for beta testing. 😞

This end of a curve looks weird? A simple experiment.

image.png.c92c96daf752dd5d7011123c31cc60e5.png

Expand it and it gets even worse:

image.png.ec55f0fb8f39bf2dd565c3eec7a2b285.png

You are rushing half features into releases. There is a serious risk that these feature releases will be launched with serious flaws and defects. Here you see the outlines of all the problems that the good @debraspicher has mentioned.

I would seriously recommend that you put this feature in parentheses in release 2.5. It is a feature that works excellently in all the programs I have and have tried, so you are hardly interested in being last in the race, let alone bothering customers with errors, deficiencies, and half-finished algorithms.

I will not test further until there is a serious build.

Just now, Sean P said:

There is an indicator on the nodes themselves to let you know if you're changing one or both.
When they have a dot in the middle it means you're affecting both start and end node. If there isn't then it will only adjust the one you change. You can single click on them to switch between the two states.

Adjusting both start and end node position:

image.png

Adjusting single node position:

image.png

Yeah I know, but it is tricky to spot at times, or the clicks aren't registering the way I want then to. Granted, I tend to use a double click button, so that may have something to do with it. Will try it again in the beta anyways.👍

11 minutes ago, Aurea Ratio said:

I also see some pretty weird or unorganic shapes with even pretty basic editing. Never had such trouble in other programs.

I instantly saw the jagged artifacts after pulling a few nodes

This has been a general issue with the pressure feature since it was introduced in v1. 
In that sense, the new Line Width tool is apparently "only" a different front end to what's been there for a long time and only editable via the Pressure curve until now. But at least it's more convenient.
(Considering this, I can't say that I'm overwhelmed either… :S)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

7 minutes ago, loukash said:

This has been a general issue with the pressure feature since it was introduced in v1. 
In that sense, the new Line Width tool is apparently "only" a different front end to what's been there for a long time and only editable via the Pressure curve until now.

And let’s not forget that you can also use velocity to set ‘pressure’ (ahem, profile) values. Improving naming/labels here would go along way to creating a consistent mental model of what all these tools are doing. Defining the line/curve width profile.

There is no Line Width Tool on Windows for me, so I updated the Mac apps.

This tool works really great with Pen and Pencil tools equally, but why just another tool? Couldn't it be done using CTRL button while dragging nodes?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

The width tool isn’t locked to nodes as you can drag anywhere on the curve to change the width profile. So you’d either need to radically change the node edit tool, or require a new width specific tool.

Also hiding features behind keyboard shortcuts obscures them, and impedes discoverability—especially on the iPad where keyboard shortcuts (or that weird Affinity shortcut control) are not something most users are familiar with.

4 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

There is no Line Width Tool on Windows for me

I got it automatically, Petar, but you may find that you need to reset your toolbars.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I got it automatically, Petar, but you may find that you need to reset your toolbars.

I've already asked for this few posts above. I can't see how to do that. When I start the app with CTRL pressed, there isn't Reset Toolbar on the menu.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

36 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

I've already asked for this few posts above. I can't see how to do that. When I start the app with CTRL pressed, there isn't Reset Toolbar on the menu.

I didn't check any of the options but just clicked on 'clear' at the bottom of the box you showed in your earlier post. The tool then appeared expected.

19 minutes ago, Return said:

It is just to be added through the customize tools option in the regular menu.

It is not there.

27 minutes ago, Return said:

It is just to be added through the customize tools option in the regular menu.

The ‘Customize Tools’ option on the View menu offers me three (count ’em!) instances of the Pencil Tool: one standalone, one paired with the Line Width Tool, and one paired with the Vector Brush Tool.

Alfred spacer.png

12 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

It is not there.

What happens if you choose ‘View > Customize Tools…’ and then press ‘Reset’ followed by ‘Close’ in the tool customization panel?

Alfred spacer.png