You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fields now available in Find and Replace

• Staff

Apps: Publisher
Platforms: macOS, Windows and iPad

In Find and Replace fields are now available from the drop down. This will also include any custom text fields you have set up, therefore making it easy to replace many instances of a text string within your document with a custom text field for example.

image.png

In addition, as was requested during the previous beta, we have now added the option to ‘Convert Text to Field…’ from the right click menu when you have a text selection.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

This is really great.

If only we could save our search and replace options that would really be great. My work is such that I need to find and replace the same text over and over again. Saving frequently searched regular expressions fields would be awesome.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Very nice, thanks!

I was wondering about filler text since I was exploring it the other day and it's a type of field, or at least it's a field for the purposes of the Highlight Fields command. I don't use it much these days but when I did the fear was always that you'd release something without remembering to replace it. So I was thinking about how I'd go about finding filler text in Publisher. In the old days I just searched for "lorem" but you can't do that with Affinity's automatic filler text. Nor can you search for it as a field. And there isn't a preflight warning. I think I'd rather have it as a preflight warning but even just being able to search for it with Find and Replace mightx be nice.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

I tried a Find for a <Running Header> field and it found only the first two occurrences. And one of those was on the phantom page to the left of page 1 in a Facing Pages document. It would not find the other field occurrences on page 2 or 3.

Affects both Mac and Windows. Haven't tried on iPad.

Screenshot2023-10-25160423.png.67231b0b70eda16698e9f6683cd966a7.png

rh-find.afpub

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

48 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I tried a Find for a <Running Header> field and it found only the first two occurrences. And one of those was on the phantom page to the left of page 1 in a Facing Pages document. It would not find the other field occurrences on page 2 or 3.

It didn't find it on page 2 and a phantom on page 1, it's finding them on the master pages.

I think this is correct and it's working the same way as regular text search. If I type "abc" on a master page on which 100 pages are based, it will find it only once, on the master.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

6 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

It didn't find it on page 2 and a phantom on page 1, it's finding them on the master pages.

No, it's actually finding on Page 1 and Page 2 (but not Page 3). If I scroll down so Page 2/3 are in view, and click Find, the view moves to Page 1 with the RH field highlighted. And if I click Find again, the view moves to Page 2 with the RH field highlighted. And a 3rd Find goes back to Page 1 again.

It wasn't doing that earlier (but earlier I was on Windows, and now I'm at my Mac), but I don't think I tried this exact situation.

So perhaps it is finding the first document-page occurrence for each of the RH fields on the Master Page, and not finding any of the other occurrences derived from that Master Page.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

One minor Mac usability issue (and this isn't totally new with Fields because the Special Characters menu had the same issue).

1. Set the panel so the Find field doesn't have focus (search for something and then click the delete icon to clear the field)
  2. Choose a field (or special character) from the popup menu
  3. You can't click Find because it's disabled. You have to click into the Find field and press Tab or Return.

Another thing is that after selecting a field tag and one searches for another text and come back to the search field and select the recent aka the tags, it will not find anything anymore as it would with text.
Probably intended as it is a tag and not text but it should either do the search based on that entry or delete the entry from the recents so that people are forced to use the tags option again.

Another problem

Try to remplace a text with a field. It work but the problem is that it doesn't retain the custom name field in the list of field of the F&R panel (see attached). Problematic with a lot of custom field.

Edit Mac desktop version.

Custom field name problem.jpg

On 10/25/2023 at 10:29 PM, walt.farrell said:

So perhaps it is finding the first document-page occurrence for each of the RH fields on the Master Page, and not finding any of the other occurrences derived from that Master Page.

That is indeed exactly what it's doing...

If you have say ten facing pages and then base each facing page on a different master it will find all instances of the running header only because each page uses a different master. It's the same issue with page numbers and other fields appearing on Master Pages...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

A couple of minor cosmetic differences between the Field Names in the Fields Panel and the Find and Replace Panel...

Document Statistics
Last edited by | Last Edited By

Document Sections
Last Page In Section | Last page in Section
Last Page In Run | Last page in Run

Continuation
Previous Page number | Previous Page Number
Next Page number | Next Page Number

Data Merge
Merge Index | Record Index
Unfiltered Index | Original Record Index

FindandReplaceFields.png.94e3358299894a4ff5b021f7ee351588.png

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

• Staff

The issue "Find and Replace can miss some instances of Running Header Fields" (REF: AF-930) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.0.2106".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "Find and Replace panel - Fields tags remain untranslated" (REF: AF-1396) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.0.2185".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.

The feature will get localised during the 2.4 beta, as the translations for these fields are provided (only in French so far)
If you still experience this problem in the beta a few weeks time (later in January 2024) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Serif Since v1 said:

When searching for a custom field, it does not work when "Match case" is turned on in the Find options. Only finds fields when "Match case" is turned off.

Can confirm this is indeed the case...

9 hours ago, Serif Since v1 said:

When searching for a custom field, it does not work when "Match case" is turned on in the Find options. Only finds fields when "Match case" is turned off.

4 hours ago, Hangman said:

Can confirm this is indeed the case...

On 12/13/2023 at 4:57 PM, Serif Info Bot said:

please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

But has that problem even been reported previously, @Alfred? The instruction to tag the info bot applies only to bugs deemed fixed.

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

But has that problem even been reported previously, @Alfred? The instruction to tag the info bot applies only to bugs deemed fixed.

That’s a very good point, Walt! As a newly reported bug (albeit closely related to the current topic) the ‘match case’ issue really needs a thread of its own.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)