Jump to content

Microsoft Windows Developer Awards 2018


Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, Alfred said:

 

 

What a difference an hour makes! ;)

 

Yeah!:D...and 52%..fantastic news...not over yet though!

AD 1.9.1.979+ Beta AD 1.9.4.1065 | APh 1.9.1.979 + Beta AP 1.9.4.1065
APu 1.9.2.1035 +Beta Apu 1.9.2 2024

OS:Windows 10 Pro 20H2 OS Build 19042.964 + Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello everyone, just to let you know, we're one of the finalists in this year's Microsoft Windows Developer Awards, in the Application Creator of the Year category. If you have a Microsoft account (e.

I'm thrilled to say that we won!     

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

Yay!!!!

Just got an email from Serif asking me to Vote for them

If I had not been a member of this forum and had not already voted I would certainly have done so now

Let's hope it's enough

Haven't received any email yet. Nor there's a blog post. There's more to be done, don't stop until we reach the 99% please. Thanks! :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
10 minutes ago, LCamachoDesign said:

Haven't received any email yet. Nor there's a blog post. There's more to be done, don't stop until we reach the 99% please. Thanks! :D

Only people that we know own Affinity Designer will get the email. Ironically Microsoft Store AD owners are unknown to us, quite rightly those sales belong to MS and so we have no email addresses for thise owners (unless they have claimed free Designer content through the Welcome screen and bothered to make an account). The flash in the welcome screen is there right now, but that requires users to run the application, so I think we are doing alright at the moment, all things considered. 

 

Lets see how this pans out over the weekend though. I am sure the others will surge at some point too.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Patrick Connor said:

Only people that we know own Affinity Designer will get the email

And what's wrong with sending it to people that just have Affinity Photo - they too would want to support Serif, would they not?

Don't risk losing this, if there are Affinity supporters out there target them ALL

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
6 minutes ago, carl123 said:

And what's wrong with sending it to people that just have Affinity Photo - they too would want to support Serif, would they not?

 

What is wrong imho is ethics. I would want people to vote for Affinity Designer if they like the application, not if they approve of the company and have only used Affinity Photo. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

What is wrong imho is ethics. I would want people to vote for Affinity Designer if they like the application, not if they approve of the company and have only used Affinity Photo.

Yes ethics in a company is important

But consider that some of the AP users may have trialled AD, some may be watching it's progress on the forums and just waiting for certain features to be added before they buy it or even saving up to buy a copy as they have liked what they tested..

More impotantly, some might have purchased AP directly from Serif but purchased AD from the Windows Store or the Apple Store

Both of which you do not have the email address for, so is it ethical for you to try to target (email) those users as well

I think so.

Microsoft & Apple withholding information on who bought your product, is that ethical?

No, I think not.

You have a right to try to contact all users of AD by whatever means are available to you.


(Rant over, time for some beers, I may be gone sometime)

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SrPx said:

 

is this allowed ?  :o

I wont do, just in case....

Of course, as long you have multiple accounts.

Don't you think some of the competition will do the same thing.

 

You can vote once per account.

 

What about people owning mulptiple licenses for Designer, are they allowed to vote once?

What about people owning Designer but don't have a Microsoft account?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Yes ethics in a company is important

But consider that some of the AP users may have trialled AD, some may be watching it's progress on the forums and just waiting for certain features to be added before they buy it or even saving up to buy a copy as they have liked what they tested..

More impotantly, some might have purchased AP directly from Serif but purchased AD from the Windows Store or the Apple Store

Both of which you do not have the email address for, so is it ethical for you to try to target (email) those users as well

I think so.

Microsoft & Apple withholding information on who bought your product, is that ethical?

No, I think not.

You have a right to try to contact all users of AD by whatever means are available to you.


(Rant over, time for some beers, I may be gone sometime)

Don't worry, I have paid versions of Designer, Photo and am eagerly awaiting Publisher.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, carl123 said:

Yes ethics in a company is important

But consider that some of the AP users may have trialled AD, some may be watching it's progress on the forums and just waiting for certain features to be added before they buy it or even saving up to buy a copy as they have liked what they tested..

More impotantly, some might have purchased AP directly from Serif but purchased AD from the Windows Store or the Apple Store

Both of which you do not have the email address for, so is it ethical for you to try to target (email) those users as well

I think so.

Microsoft & Apple withholding information on who bought your product, is that ethical?

No, I think not.

You have a right to try to contact all users of AD by whatever means are available to you.


(Rant over, time for some beers, I may be gone sometime)

LOL, is it fair to put Designer up to competiton wich exists way longer with a way larger userbase and potentially more voters?

I spotted something else:

TODOIT is FREE!

 

So, these people are giving it away...;)

Get a free copy of todoit and vote for us, yeah, that sounds ethical...

 

Sorry, but I personally don't feel bad voting twice for Designer. It deserves some publicity.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tourmaline said:

LOL, is it fair to put Designer up to competiton wich exists way longer with a way larger userbase and potentially more voters?

I spotted something else:

TODOIT is FREE!

 

At least Todoist is always free! Penbook is also free, but only temporarily. ¬¬

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows 1.9.2 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.9.2 • Designer for iPad 1.9.2 • iPadOS 14.4.2 (iPad Air 2)

Link to post
Share on other sites

And what's wrong with free software? Should they (todoist) be excluded from such contests because their business model includes services for which they don't charge (at least not money)?

I share the considerations of Serif why they don't want to send out e-mails to Affinity Photo users that don't own Designer. It's a thin line between legit news mails to customers and spam. And given the fact that Serif has still to convince lot's of users if they want to successfully "wilder" in Adobe's home territory they better don't annoy potential customers with spam mails. After all it's just some Microsoft contest, not the Holy Grail of software development or marketing. Sure it would be nice for Serif to win the contest and they'd definitely deserve it. But there is certainly no reason to throw over board ethic guidelines to which they thankfully seem to adhere to.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, altae said:

And what's wrong with free software? Should they (todoist) be excluded from such contests because their business model includes services for which they don't charge (at least not money)?

I share the considerations of Serif why they don't want to send out e-mails to Affinity Photo users that don't own Designer. It's a thin line between legit news mails to customers and spam. And given the fact that Serif has still to convince lot's of users if they want to successfully "wilder" in Adobe's home territory they better don't annoy potential customers with spam mails. After all it's just some Microsoft contest, not the Holy Grail of software development or marketing. Sure it would be nice for Serif to win the contest and they'd definitely deserve it. But there is certainly no reason to throw over board ethic guidelines to which they thankfully seem to adhere to.

 

People are more likely to get a piece of free software then paid software and hence you can build quite quickly a 6 million userbase. It's a bit shady that one of the competitors is free now...

You don't get it, do you. If there's an announcement on the Microsoft store website about serif's Affinity Designer then it will fetch far more recognition then other ways. This is free advertisement on a massive scale.

 

"I share the considerations of Serif why they don't want to send out e-mails to Affinity Photo users that don't own Designer."

I concur, it's about Designer but don't you think any of the contestants are trying to maximize voting? ( one of em is free now and has an automated voting system build in)

 

Mac users are just 10 percent of all computer users and Windows based users is way larger!

The more people read how good and innovative Designer is, the better.

I've seen lots of programs like Todoist over the years and to be honest they are all quite the same.

 

If Publisher is going to be as innovative as I think it will be, then they can use all the attention and possibly potential new clients. This will ensure income for the developers and the development of future products.

 

Today's software market is a tough one considering the competition. It's not like when Adobe started, when there was nothing.

I think Serif took a very brave step to take on the Gigant on it's own home turf and at least they give you a way of getting out of Adobe's grip on your wallet.

I personally think my 2 votes are just a small token of appreciation of the hard work they have done and the hard work there is still to be done in the future.

 

YMMV.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Around to that mileage    :D

 

(about voting twice or more with more accounts... I keep seeing a risk there, with legal stuff, depends on the terms (edit: can't seem to find terms anywhere, and if there aren't, they hardly would be able to legally complain....Still, I recommend not to do it. ), but I'd better don't do it....)

 

AD, AP and APub.  Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1650 4GB, 500GB m.2 SSD, 1TB HDD 7200rpm. Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.