GFDBILL

Drawing Lines with Affinity Publisher

This seems to be a more complex task than it was with Page Plus.  With Page Plus, there is a Straight Line Tool on the main toolbar.  Once you have drawn a line, you can set the style as a default, so next time you want to draw a straight line 2 points, with straight ends (a really simple line) you just click the tool and draw the line.  Also if you want a line at an angle, there are several set angles to use - not just 45 degrees.  Could we not have such ease-of-use in Affinity Publisher?

3 minutes ago, GFDBILL said:

This seems to be a more complex task than it was with Page Plus.  With Page Plus, there is a Straight Line Tool on the main toolbar.  Once you have drawn a line, you can set the style as a default, so next time you want to draw a straight line 2 points, with straight ends (a really simple line) you just click the tool and draw the line.  Also if you want a line at an angle, there are several set angles to use - not just 45 degrees.  Could we not have such ease-of-use in Affinity Publisher?

And Designer too.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.6

Affinity Designer 1.8.4 | Affinity Photo 1.8.4 | Affinity Publisher 1.8.4 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.9.0.2 | Affinity Photo Beta 1.9.0.199 | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.9.0.742

If you use advanced mode in Grid Manager you can change this under "Additional axis setup" (change the intermediate divisions) - oddly, even if I switch away from advanced mode after adjusting that the setting seems to stick; not sure it is supposed to do that?

I think when Photo and Vector persona become available, other tools within those personas (such as the straight line tool) will become available. Publisher is not AD or AP so there is no point of replicating all tools available in other software.

I agree. I understand the process for developing the program. Can’t believe a simple task like the line tool should be so hard. There are some nice things here but seems like a huge step backwards from where page plus has gone. Some of us won’t be around in ten years when needed features are added. I don’t want to use pp because it is a. Dead program and will never be developed further. Maybe open source the code so others can tweak it

7 minutes ago, JPSports said:

Looking for help. I draw a straight line with the pen. Then I select the move tool to move it and it disappears. This is more work than it should be. 

Did you make sure it had a stroke value specified? I think it should, by default, but it's probably worth checking.

You should be able to find it in the Layer panel, select it there, and check the stroke setting.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.820 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.820 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.822 Beta.

2 minutes ago, jwhitmill said:

I can't even begin to find a way to draw a simple line with this. I use the Pen tool, but it doesn't present me with any options for size or style.

With the Pen Tool selected, the Context Toolbar provides choices for Fill and Stroke, with the Stroke providing a color-well you can click in to set the line's color, and the next field providing the option for size of the stroke/line.

image.png.f709f820cf78b915c3dad0f813a6d31a.png

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.820 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.820 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.822 Beta.

Using the pen tool holding down shift applying styles from the style studio would be sufficient for me , but...

I gave up using Designer for hobby use - a "professional" vector drawing program without actual vector features. Customers waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for. Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can use it. Until then... I am a customer, a potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion. Currently I am slowly finishing a project I started in Designer.

Further... give up and please hire an UX (usability designer), Serif. It is how professional software is made in this century.

On 10/26/2018 at 7:23 AM, Typo998 said:

Hi,

With the pen tool image.png.638a2f54486d2352003e358d0631d0ac.png, click on the  image.png.3fcdf3cf451fe3dc833428caabb6bf4f.png line mode

Hold the Shift key if you want to make an horizontal line for exemple (when holding the shift key you have 45 degrees rotation each time when moving the mouse.

Hope that will help.

image.png

This is PURE gold - Thank you @Typo998 for this nugget and VERY sound advice this is EXACTLY the correct answer 

14 hours ago, ClarityDynamic said:

I must say after struggling with creating a line to separate my title from the body, the 'PEN TOOL'

Don't forget it can be in the paragraph style decoration settings, and you won't have to move your lines each time you modify your text, and can in a bulk modify this line on all the titles when modifying the decoration of your paragraph style.