You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Line (Stroke) Width Tool

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I wouldn't bother with the Line Width tool at all. I would select the ellipse with the desired pressure profile, save the profile and then apply it to the new ellipse. Or I would copy the ellipse with the desired profile and use the Edit > Paste Style to the newly drawn ellipse. Or I would temporarily use the Synchronize Defaults from Selection (the ellipse with the desired profile being the selection) to set my default to the desired profile and then draw a new ellipse.

ScreenShot2024-04-21at9_12_32AM.png.5ef26a1f9c223ed9712cd9c923f8c19c.png

What I have done in the past is to save the ellipse as an asset to use another time.

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I say it because that's what you're trying to do. 

If you want another ellipse that looks like B, then duplicate B (Cmd+J). It is you don't want it identical, but similar, use the Style Picker to copy B's appearance and paste onto your other ellipse. 

In other words, pick the right tool for what you're trying to do. As far as I know, the Line Width Tool is the wrong one for your purpose.

Walt you have confirmed what I was thinking and that the line width tool is not appropriate. However it might still have a use for incomplete or partial ellipses. I will check that one out.

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff
On 4/20/2024 at 3:26 PM, Frozen Death Knight said:

I also noticed that it isn't possible to break the start and end points from each other with the tool.

Old method:

image.png.dda8e0f104d39c3b729c80f843512d08.png

Line Width Tool:

image.png.e83be907689e740988442d25614ad90c.png

Also, the tool seems to make each curve curved and I don't see any way to make them straight lines between points?

I don't believe this is a bug - In your Line Width Tool image, you can see a Line Width Node has been inserted just below the red dot (not present on the first image), so whilst they are moving together, the fact there is a node really close, makes it appear as though you've broken the line in the pressure graph.

Had a play around and it's GREAT

Got it set with the same shortcut as pencil N (which is now a pleasure to use)so holding down N temporarily lets you alter line width so can now work really quickly and sort out line widths as I'm drawing ---- loving it

I'm getting the same artefact bugs on thicker line widths and the line width tool not working on additional pages but for first beta really impressed

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

This is going to be a brilliant tool!😀!!!!

I have a couple of questions:
Node Delete
a. I like the ability to delete a width node and reset the line at a particular point [CNTRL + ALT + Node Click] but it looks to be limited to single width nodes; are there any plans to apply a reset to multiple nodes? or add a full reset of the line to the context bar (just think that would be useful!) Otherwise, if you create complex shape lines using the tool (Not that I would normally) you could spend a lot of time tweaking and editing.
Edits
b. Also like the [CNTRL + Click] on width node to access 'Set Line width at point'. Very useful for precise positioning. This would also be useful to set a greater range or frequency. such as 'alternate' or 'all'
UI
c. On the popup the bar title says: 'Set Line WIDTH at point but the Field Label is Weight!
Pressure Graph
d. Attempting to edit the Pressure Graph associated with the line at the same time editing the line with the width tool is a bit frustrating as the pressure graph closes each time you click on the object line

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2430
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

24 minutes ago, StuartRc said:

Pressure Graph
d. Attempting to edit the Pressure Graph associated with the line at the same time editing the line with the width tool is a bit frustrating as the pressure graph closes each time you click on the object line

@StuartRc, great suggestions.

I support the last one. Have a way to keep the pressure graph open ... and to resize it!

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

6 hours ago, Sean P said:

I don't believe this is a bug - In your Line Width Tool image, you can see a Line Width Node has been inserted just below the red dot (not present on the first image), so whilst they are moving together, the fact there is a node really close, makes it appear as though you've broken the line in the pressure graph.

I know. I am just saying that the functionality isn't there for breaking the start and end widths from each other like in the Profile panel. You can get practically the similar effect, sure, but the tool just doesn't handle it the same way as when doing it from the panel. Might be worth considering if you want to add it in to make them behave the same across the board.

By the way, I appreciate that it is easy to set the width to 0 with the tool when clicking on the line. Makes it easy to break a line when intersecting with others to create the illusion that it is cut when it is not. I hope that will remain with some sort of modifier if it of some reason is decided to be changed. :)

Another idea! It would be neat if it was possible to to basically have something equivalent to "Split curve after node" for the width points to get points with the same length between each point. Just a faster way of creating ton of width points that can be adjusted for a more pattern like behaviour. Just a thought! :)

I was thinking about this Set Line Width At Point pop-up window. I like that we can set the exact values with this, but it is a bit annoying having it pop up this way. My suggestion is to move the value to the top toolbar settings where you type in the value beforehand, which you then activate by pressing ctrl+L click like how it currently works.
image.thumb.png.94444a3ad142dc92d2b79fef361fe79d.png

image.png.a099ec33889f4c9d37d7d8114284d553.png

Same functionality, but with the added benefit where you can quickly set multiple points to the same width by just clicking without getting stuck with that pop-up window. It would also allow users to set line width to 0 with a modifier instead of just clicking on the curve lines like now. More flexible and easier to use! :)

+1 for this

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

On 4/22/2024 at 11:28 AM, lepr said:

Remember to read the hints at the bottom of the window.

This is an important reminder. I'm definitely guilty of overlooking this information on occasion.

Not show pencil tool option but after reseting toolbar and i found it one item in elements what i can add tool bar. Nice idea. And i also get similar artefacts what someone else getted and i use Windows 10 Pro here. and this panel what someone sayed not needed anymore is somecases more clear way edit it as well i feel.

Once the artifacts will be sorted out, this feature will be great. Some nice things can be obtained quickly by iteratively applying line width and Expand Stroke several times. I find the results more organic, less mechanical than contour tool due to varying line width, which can be interesting in some applications.

image.png.02a2b377dd5979d8f1ed2ee69c38ed48.png

I strongly recommend that the elements adjusted with the line width tool be enlarged, and especially that they are also affected by the tool handle size setting in preferences.

I don’t know what it is with Serif and microscopic elements in the interface, but things really need to go together here.

I simply no longer believe that there are any professional graphic designers here. Everything follows suit. Just everything.

• Staff
13 hours ago, CM0 said:

When using the line width tool on brushes it seems to break. It will only adjust the overall brush width. You can't adjust the profile points.

image.png.8c8b350f97e973fa77a191e464e8ed3f.png

It is likely that the brush you've applied to the line has the Size Variance set to 0%, so any changes to the pressure graph get ignored. You can either modify the brush itself to have a size variance, or if you would rather, do it on a line by line basis using the Properties button on the Stroke Panel with the object you want to modify selected.

1 minute ago, Sean P said:

It is likely that the brush you've applied to the line has the Size Variance set to 0%, so any changes to the pressure graph get ignored. You can either modify the brush itself to have a size variance, or if you would rather, do it on a line by line basis using the Properties button on the Stroke Panel with the object you want to modify selected.

Ok, that seems to be the problem; however, it is inconsistent and confusing. This is what the default brush settings look like.

image.png.02fef81406b59470652d7c680c14bb21.png

No size variance, but it works. However with Brushes you must increase the size variance. Furthermore, once you use a brush and then go back to basic line, then variance no longer works. Then you can no longer set variance for basic line. When you open the dialog, it opens for the last brush instead of the line settings.