It would seem that starting this 'Guides' thread that I may have opened a can of worms for the developers!
There have been many suggestions about improving the versatility/usability of the current guide feature. I have basically copied and pasted all the suggestions into this one combined suggestion.
It would be useful to be able to set some locked guides (a different colour perhaps) whilst being able to use movable guides as well. Attached is a file for having 4 different types of guide lines Guid lines.afdesign
The colour of the guides would be a default colour as well as a a user choice.
One of the suggestions I made some time ago was to be able to see an objects handles/nodes when moving a guide. I'm still waiting for that one.
The colour coding might be nice.
A Guide layer.
Allow the user to export / print with guides visible.
I also got a suggestion for guides. When you use Guide Manager and click the guide's coordinates, be it horizontal or vertical one, the guide itself should get highligted (maybe change color) so you know what guide you're working with.
Also, multiple guide selection in Guides Manager pane would be huge improvement.
From Nicky G
I also find the use of this panel for guides to be nice, but uncomfortable.
1. As you say you should highlight the guide in focus with different color
2. selection and movement of several guides (as if they were grouped)
3. Creating Guides rotated at user-defined angles
4. creation of vector shapes (any form) in guide, as happens in Ai.
5. possibility to open the guide panel by double clicking on the guide itself. (it would avoid the GUIDE DISPLAY / MANAGEMENT step)
6. Possibility of selecting and direct highlighting of the guide on the drawing table and moving the guide ALSO through the XY axes inside the panel visible on the screen Transform.
It would speed up the numerical displacement of a guide (as happens in Ai). I
In my opinion it would also be useful, by pressing at the same time as dragging the guides, for example CTRL, to activate a SNAP of the guide on the numerical notches of the ruler,
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7- 8 mm.
And depending on the Zoom, it is possible to hook the guides to intermediate sizes 0.5mm - 1mm - 1.5mm - 2mm - 2.5mm ....
Higher zoom even with 1/10 mm notches etc ...
1.1mm - 1.2 - 1.3 ....
Dragging without the CTRL key the operation remains the same as now.
My only remaining beefs about the guides are these two:
1. they should extend all the way to the rulers
2. the user should be able to choose the color
Other than that, the devs did a cracking job with the guides.