You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Line (Stroke) Width Tool

On 4/20/2024 at 6:15 AM, anto said:

If you merge curves and then apply the Line Width Tool, it applies to all objects

You can also use Links to be able to achieve the same thing by switching between Photo and Designer.  Another reason why this feature needs to exist in all 3 programs.

image.thumb.gif.f42b389bf6a1a76bc3ae7d0c4d0ce3f4.gif

I just had a thought. It would be nice if there was a Clear/Reset Profile button in the top toolbar settings for the Line Width Tool to be able to completely remove all the points from a curve in a fast and easy way. Double clicking all of them or using the Curves panel are a few more extra steps. Also, it would allow you to create a keyboard shortcut for the operator when the tool is active.

4 hours ago, anto said:

Line Width Tool also does not work on the first page in Publisher if document has more then 1 page.

This appears to be specific to a right-facing page document...

It works with a multi-page left-facing page document and with a multi-page non-facing page document, just not with a multi-page right-facing page document, though you can still edit the pressure map with a multi-page, right-facing document, you just can't edit the line width on the page by selecting 'points' on the object itself...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2463)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

I've been trying out the new line width tool but find it does not seem to be anymore versatile then the existing Pressure tool in fact less useful!

In example 'B' I was trying to use this tool to create the same line thickness as in 'A'. I created 'A' using the existing Pressure tool.

I would say for the new tool to be more useful the adjustment nodes need to be independently adjustable as when using the Pressure tool. The only advantage in the new tool is would be 'live' line width adjustment as you move a node rather than moving your gaze between line and Pressure tool tab.

When a new node is added the line thickness seems to defaults to zero.

Am I just simply not using the tool correctly?

Weight of line 2 .afdesign

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I understand that but about my original ellipse problem? Nobody has replied to that yet!

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

58 minutes ago, jackamus said:

I understand that

You haven’t quoted or otherwise linked to whatever it is that you’re saying you understand.

58 minutes ago, jackamus said:

but about my original ellipse problem? Nobody has replied to that yet!

This thread is about the Line Width Tool. What is the relevance of your ellipse problem (which hadn’t even been mentioned here until now)?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

My original posting seems to have got lost so here it is again!

I was trying to use the line width tool to Make ellipse 'A' like ellipse 'B'. I did B using the Stroke Pressure tab.

'C' is the result of trying to use the line width tool. When a new node is added the line seems to default to a zero width!

I imagine I'm not using it correctly. Advice would be appreciated.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

19 minutes ago, jackamus said:

My original posting seems to have got lost so here it is again!

I was trying to use the line width tool to Make ellipse 'A' like ellipse 'B'. I did B using the Stroke Pressure tab.

'C' is the result of trying to use the line width tool. When a new node is added the line seems to default to a zero width!

Weight of line 2 .afdesign 21.73 kB · 1 download

But, your attached document isn't made in Affinity Designer v.2.50 beta 1 - so, how could you use Line Width Tool then??

Happy guy playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typographic, photographing, Color & forms, AND, old Synthesizers from the 1980-1990’s…

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021 connected to an 32” curved 5K external display, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015 - also an Lenovo iMac i7 clone with 24” touch screen and Windows 10…

1 hour ago, AffinityMakesMeSad said:

But, your attached document isn't made in Affinity Designer v.2.50 beta 1 - so, how could you use Line Width Tool then??

Ok I re-save the file from the Beta version now attached. Before saving it I made sure the line tools was available!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

4 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Ok I re-save the file from the Beta version now attached. Before saving it I made sure the line tools was available!

The beta still says that file was saved with the Release version of Designer 2.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

2 hours ago, jackamus said:

I probably would not use the Line Width Tool for that, as duplicating another object's stroke doesn't seem to be one of its advertised purposes/capabilities.

B already has a pressure profile. So, with B selected, in the Stroke panel you can click on the profile, then Save Profile.

Then select A, and in the Stroke panel click on the pressure profile, and double-click on the saved profile to set A's pressure profile to exactly match the saved one from B.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

On 4/19/2024 at 1:29 PM, Hangman said:

I'm seeing artefacts when line widths applied using the Line Width tool are quite large...

LineWidthArtfacts.thumb.png.27f3da101f2cb2f56252efc1647ea49d.png

A great Tool and it works very well. Thanks a lot for this.
But i also get artifacts by doing a large Line width like in the posting from @Hangman

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I probably would not use the Line Width Tool for that, as duplicating another object's stroke doesn't seem to be one of its advertised purposes/capabilities.

B already has a pressure profile. So, with B selected, in the Stroke panel you can click on the profile, then Save Profile.

Then select A, and in the Stroke panel click on the pressure profile, and double-click on the saved profile to set A's pressure profile to exactly match the saved one from B.

Hi Walt,

B is what I'm trying to imitate with C! A is what I started with for both of them.

Attached is the a new drawing using AD Beta to create it. Why does adding 2 a new node default the line thickness to zero?

Weight of line 3 .afdesign

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

7 minutes ago, jackamus said:

B is what I'm trying to imitate with C! A is what I started with for both of them.

Again, duplicating an existing stroke pressure profile is not a function provided with the Line Width Tool. There's no "copy" function. If you have an existing object with a pressure profile you're better off saving that profile, or possibly using the Style Picker.

Why does adding 2 a new node default the line thickness to zero?

I've no idea. But thanks for the new file.

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, thedzko said:

Does this feature works with dashed/dotted lines? I can't test this feature right now so, if anyone could confirm this. Thanks.

It does not. This only works for regular vector lines and vector raster brushes. If Affinity supported pure vector brushes we could make our own dotted vector lines with varied line widths and even more complex patterns.

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Again, duplicating an existing stroke pressure profile is not a function provided with the Line Width Tool. There's no "copy" function. If you have an existing object with a pressure profile you're better off saving that profile, or possibly using the Style Picker.

I've no idea. But thanks for the new file.

I don't understand why you keep saying I'm trying to duplicate a pressure profile! Let me put it another way - how do I draw an ellipse, using the line width tool, to look like ellipse 'B'?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I don't understand why you keep saying I'm trying to duplicate a pressure profile! Let me put it another way - how do I draw an ellipse, using the line width tool, to look like ellipse 'B'?

I wouldn't bother with the Line Width tool at all. I would select the ellipse with the desired pressure profile, save the profile and then apply it to the new ellipse. Or I would copy the ellipse with the desired profile and use the Edit > Paste Style to the newly drawn ellipse. Or I would temporarily use the Synchronize Defaults from Selection (the ellipse with the desired profile being the selection) to set my default to the desired profile and then draw a new ellipse.

ScreenShot2024-04-21at9_12_32AM.png.5ef26a1f9c223ed9712cd9c923f8c19c.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

27 minutes ago, thedzko said:

Does this feature works with dashed/dotted lines? I can't test this feature right now so, if anyone could confirm this. Thanks.

Technically no because with dashed lines you don't have access to the pressure map so all you see when making changes to a dashed using the line width tool is the entire dashed line becoming thicker or thinner however, if, after applying varying line widths on the dashed line you convert it back to a solid line the line width changes are honoured...

So even though you can't visually see the changes being made to a dashed line, the underlying changes are made but can only be seen visually once converted back to a solid line. It begs the question 'should it be possible to apply different line widths to dashed lines', i.e., should the pressure map also be available for dashed lines as well?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2463)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

35 minutes ago, jackamus said:

I say it because that's what you're trying to do. 

If you want another ellipse that looks like B, then duplicate B (Cmd+J). It is you don't want it identical, but similar, use the Style Picker to copy B's appearance and paste onto your other ellipse. 

In other words, pick the right tool for what you're trying to do. As far as I know, the Line Width Tool is the wrong one for your purpose.

-- Walt
PC: