You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Double click / tap on object to switch from node to move tool

• Staff

Apps: All
Platforms: macOS, Windows and iPad

When in move tool double clicking a vector object takes you into node tool. It has been suggested that a double click on an object while in node tool should do the reverse and take you back into move tool (you could previously double click on the canvas / not over an object to return to move tool but this both loses your selection as well as not being possible if you are zoomed in). This has now been implemented in 2.4.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• Staff

Known Issues in this feature
A list of unresolved issues for this feature, reported by users

Released Fixes
A list of issues for this feature, available in the current beta build

• AF-1724 - Clicking/Double clicking inside an unfilled shape with the Node Tool will deselect the object, rather than switching to the Move Tool [Fixed]

Upcoming Fixes
A list of issues for this feature, which will be available in a forthcoming build

This is great, thank you.

The only thing I find odd with it is an inconsistency with unfilled paths. With the Move tool selected, you must double-click the stroke to switch to the Node tool because double-clicking the fill deselects. With the Node tool selected, you must double-click the empty fill to switch to the Node tool because double-clicking the stroke adds a node. You have to change targets to toggle back and forth.

Perhaps it would be better if double-clicking the empty fill always deselected and double-clicking the stroke always switched tools?

With an unfilled shape:

• Double-click on stroke with either tool switches tools
  • Double-click on empty fill with either tool deselects, as apps always do

With a filled shape:

• Double-click on stroke with either tool switches tools
  • Double-click on solid fill with either tool switches tools

With an unfilled path:

• Double-click on stroke with Move tool switches tools
  • Double-click on stroke with Node tool adds a node
  • Double-click on empty fill with Move tool deselects, as apps always do
  • Double-click on empty fill with Node tool switches tools

With a filled path:

• Double-click on stroke with Move tool switches tools
  • Double-click on stroke with Node tool adds a node
  • Double-click on solid fill with either tool switches tools

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

1 minute ago, EmT said:

Hi @MikeTO

If you double click on the stroke rather than the segment line, then the Node tool will switch to the Move tool 

I didn't notice that so I should have written path instead of stroke above, but if it's a thin stroke there won't be enough pixels to double-click on.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

This gesture is awesome! It feels fast!
Any time i can avoid needing to click on the toolbar to keep editing is a win for productivity. 

But I agree with Mike above, when dealing with an object that has a really thin outline (or no outline) and no fill, it is a bit cumbersome to activate this gesture. 

Perhaps making the "transform origin" double clickable while the selection tool is enabled, and making the source node (the red one with the node direction line) double clickable while the node tool was selected, that could allow you to activate this gesture even if both fill and outline were both transparent. 

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 12.58.20 PM.png

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

3 hours ago, EmT said:

If you double click on the stroke rather than the segment line, then the Node tool will switch to the Move tool 

In 2222, when I double click on the stroke with the Node Tool, it adds a new node rather than switching to the Move Tool. IOW, it acts just like a single click to add a node.

What am I missing?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

In 2222, when I double click on the stroke with the Node Tool, it adds a new node rather than switching to the Move Tool. IOW, it acts just like a single click to add a node.

What am I missing?

If you hit the segment line (path) of the stroke (shown with the blue line), it will add a node but if you hit the green part of the stroke in this screenshot it will toggle tools. The problem of course is that not all paths have enough stroke area to differentiate the target.

Screenshot2024-01-09at2_36_44PM.png.b49ddaee02bcceb495257c481b1081f7.pngScreenshot2024-01-09at2_36_55PM.png.50d507cf124bf0cdb3bc10b668ec758e.png

18 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

If you hit the segment line (path) of the stroke (shown with the blue line), it will add a node but if you hit the green part of the stroke in this screenshot it will toggle tools. The problem of course is that not all paths have enough stroke area to differentiate the target.

OK, I see what you mean. I suppose it is always possible to zoom in far enough to hit the stroke area instead of its path but it would be tedious to have to do that with thin strokes.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
46 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Yeah it's a slightly insurmountable issue in that hitting the path itself has to add a node rather than contribute towards a double click to return to move tool, and in some instances with open curves there may not be a suitable hit area to achieve the revert to move tool while keeping the object selected with double click. We took a view as it's something that we've seen a number of requests for that despite this imperfection it was worth implementing, as in many workflows (obviously particularly when mostly dealing with filled objects) it does work very well / feels really efficient.

Managing Director

• Staff
2 hours ago, TonyO said:

and making the source node (the red one with the node direction line) double clickable

Interesting - though we do have some requests logged as to whether a double click on any node could delete the node. We've not played with that yet but think it's potentially a good idea, so we want to reserve any node double click action for that possible new feature in the future.

Managing Director

• Staff
5 minutes ago, bbrother said:

What about a key modifier and double click?

May as well just hit V to get back to move tool at that point though? The root of the suggestions we have tried to take on board was about a keyless way to get back to move tool when possible, also particularly considering iPad with this too.

Managing Director

4 minutes ago, Ash said:

The root of the suggestions we have tried to take on board was about a keyless way to get back to move tool when possible

no modifier key + no node double click + open curves problem. Ash the result of this equation is not possible.

26 minutes ago, Ash said:

Yeah it's a slightly insurmountable issue in that hitting the path itself has to add a node rather than contribute towards a double click to return to move tool, and in some instances with open curves there may not be a suitable hit area to achieve the revert to move tool while keeping the object selected with double click. We took a view as it's something that we've seen a number of requests for that despite this imperfection it was worth implementing, as in many workflows (obviously particularly when mostly dealing with filled objects) it does work very well / feels really efficient.

If you have to add the node then there really isn't another option. Thanks for the explanation.

4 hours ago, Ash said:

May as well just hit V to get back to move tool at that point though? The root of the suggestions we have tried to take on board was about a keyless way to get back to move tool when possible, also particularly considering iPad with this too.

What about adding a list of behaviours for double clicking that is available on the top toolbar for the Node Tool? That way users can decide if they want double click to switch to the Move Tool or to do something else like deleting nodes. I think it's the most practical solution since I doubt there is a perfectly clean solution where double click works for both scenarios.

I didn't know you could double click on a shape and switch to the node tool.  So i guess I'm happy to learn that and also that double clicking will switch back. (it's Christmas every day!)

I also didn't realize that double clicking a curve in the node tool would add a node. I always just used a single click.  I agree that there's no reason to have a single click and double click do the same action.  Double click to delete a node makes sense to me.

Thanks

6 hours ago, Benfischer said:

Double click to delete a node makes sense to me

Yes. It's intuitive and dead simple, no need to think: one click to add a node, two clicks to remove. Such solutions are always welcomed @Ash.

FWIW we can do this using long press shortcuts from 2.2 so this is fairly similar to that.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2024 at 3:30 PM, ThatMikeGuy said:

I love this feature. Reminds me of Freehand and anything that takes us closer to Freehand is great!

I whole-heartedly agree with your comment re FreeHand. But even in that context, this is still true:

On 1/9/2024 at 2:39 PM, MikeTO said:

The problem of course is that not all paths have enough stroke area to differentiate the target.

One of the huge advantages of FreeHand was its direct and convenient provision for drawing in 'hairline' mode; wherein paths are displayed at the smallest stroke width, regardless of zoom. Greatly enhanced accuracy confidence, and was my default mode whenever drawing Bezier paths. Illustrator's 'Outline Mode' (or whatever it's called; don't remember for sure, and don't have Illustrator installed on this laptop)—is a poor substitute. As a tedious workaround, I always draw paths in Illustrator using the .25 pt. stroke width, and apply Styles thereafter. Pain in the neck, which can be said of many many things in Illustrator compared to FreeHand.

So, yeah, something needs to be re-worked in the doubleClick to switch tools. Its being dependent upon clicking a path's stroke width versus its path is not good interface design.

Even given that, we FreeHand users recall that It never needed two selection tools, and only added a mimic of Illustrator's so-called 'Direct Selection Tool' as a conciliatory move for Illustrator-habituated users too impatient to come to understand that FreeHand's single Selection Tool was far more efficient than Illustrator's three separate path manipulation tools (the third being the stupid 'Convert Anchor Point Tool'). It was not until the very last version of FreeHand that the 'white pointer'—as we called it—was even given a single (and still insignificant) function that couldn't be done with the single 'black pointer.'

Well-versed FreeHand users have yet to see any Bezier drawing program that matches FreeHand's interface elegance.

JET

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 6:39 PM, JET_Affinity said:

I whole-heartedly agree with your comment re FreeHand. But even in that context, this is still true:

One of the huge advantages of FreeHand was its direct and convenient provision for drawing in 'hairline' mode; wherein paths are displayed at the smallest stroke width, regardless of zoom. Greatly enhanced accuracy confidence, and was my default mode whenever drawing Bezier paths. Illustrator's 'Outline Mode' (or whatever it's called; don't remember for sure, and don't have Illustrator installed on this laptop)—is a poor substitute. As a tedious workaround, I always draw paths in Illustrator using the .25 pt. stroke width, and apply Styles thereafter. Pain in the neck, which can be said of many many things in Illustrator compared to FreeHand.

So, yeah, something needs to be re-worked in the doubleClick to switch tools. Its being dependent upon clicking a path's stroke width versus its path is not good interface design.

Even given that, we FreeHand users recall that It never needed two selection tools, and only added a mimic of Illustrator's so-called 'Direct Selection Tool' as a conciliatory move for Illustrator-habituated users too impatient to come to understand that FreeHand's single Selection Tool was far more efficient than Illustrator's three separate path manipulation tools (the third being the stupid 'Convert Anchor Point Tool'). It was not until the very last version of FreeHand that the 'white pointer'—as we called it—was even given a single (and still insignificant) function that couldn't be done with the single 'black pointer.'

Well-versed FreeHand users have yet to see any Bezier drawing program that matches FreeHand's interface elegance.

JET

Here, here!!  More Freehandedness = More Awsomeness!