You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

For video editing, FX, motion, etc.. there are many alternatives, even free... Fusion, Hitfilm Express, Natron, DaVinci Resolve, etc (google the names, they pop up fast). 

You don't have to get all from the same company. This is a habit from Adobe, but it has not been so through graphic software history, not necessarily. With the above listed, I think you are pretty covered. And for free.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

I don't do much video but when I do I use Cyberlink Power Director 16. Sure it's not a professional video editor but for hobbyists, consumers and pro-sumers it's a fairly powerful suite. It offers far more features than I'll ever need.

I'd say video editing is a very mature market, there are products for every budget and skills level. I don't see where a Serif product would possibly fit in.

I'd say video editing is a very mature market, there are products for every budget and skills level. I don't see where a Serif product would possibly fit in.

Agree. There are lots of video editor applications out there. Complete waste of time for Serif to enter this market.

I do wish Serif would consider making an alternative to After Effects though. Given that there's no alternative the After Effects (Apple Motion falls short) there's a massive market out there for a motion graphics product.

Someone will eventually do it.

I live in hope :)

2 hours ago, altae said:

I don't do much video but when I do I use Cyberlink Power Director 16. Sure it's not a professional video editor but for hobbyists, consumers and pro-sumers it's a fairly powerful suite. It offers far more features than I'll ever need.

One of the programs I miss for being a Windows user. Power Director was awesome... for me anyway. In terms of simplicity, clean interface, yet powerful, that program tackled those well. I wish it had more love for Mac.

For my current use, I use Movavi Video Editor Plus, but I wouldn't recommend that for professionals. It is also very simple, clean, features keyframe animation, but if people are here, then they may want to go a lot deeper. ^_^

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2017 at 10:29 AM, Patrick Connor said:

ginaadrson,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums

Affinity Video Editor supports 4K video as well as it supports standard formats & sizes, and that is NOT AT ALL.

Affinity Video Editor does not exist and we aren't planning on making a video editor application. These other posters are just talking to each other having accepted that.

Such a pity to hear this.

I've had Affinity Photo for a couple of years now, and I'm really enjoying the fact that I have a quality image editing SW prog, and I haven't had to make a continuing rip off payment to Adobe either in a huge one off payment, or monthly extortion - sorry - subscription fees.

I was really hoping that Serif Affinity would have looked into a Video Editing program.

Apple Mac customers are pretty limited in what they can use.

Freebie iMovie = clunky.  Or another rip-off payment for Final Cut Pro at near £300.

If Affinity are not going to release a Vid editor SW prog, then can anyone suggest a decent affordable program capable of 4K for less than a £100, on iMac?

Thinking about it - I can maybe understand why Serif won't do this, more so that they have moved to Windows, which (correct me if I am wrong) will have a sizeable market of free and low cost vid-edit SW.

I was gonna say just Davinci Resolve, as it has a mass following everywhere.... and counts on a mac version. But yep, the 300$ version adds 4k and 120 fps instead of 60fps, as a pair of important differences with the free version. With the free version,  I believe you can get until UHD, 3,840 x 2,160 res.

The free lightworks version (also available in mac) neither support 4k.

Have you tried Openshot video editor? I haven't. But if you do not wish to put in this 300$ (I'd totally go with Davinci Resolve Studio) you might want to try this free, open source one. Seems it allows 4k, but demanding a fine machine for that, not any typical low end for the office one (well, that's never a good fit for editing in 4k, with any software !)

For video editing, if the editor does support multiple threading, well, then as many cores/threads, the better. Some do focus instead in GPU rendering. Then for those you need to focus in a better video card. No knowledge about what options are in these mentioned above. I've been since always a Premiere user, then Sony Vegas as was what my latest company purchased, that besides super basic editors in other companies, and/or just Blender included video editor. Indeed, I don't know how I did not know about this Openshot, when I am a total blender fan and intensive user (probably as I use to just render everything direct from blender, and very occasional use of the Blender video editor, then composited outside in any of the Windows editors) but seems the 3D titling, and stuff, if you need 3D stuff, is done by having Blender installed (installing it is super easy, dunno if it forces you to handle blender(that's a bit more complex to learn))

Anyway, as it is free, and there's a mac version, you might want to try it. If wasn't for the 4k need, you'd have several very good available for the mac (imo among best options, the Davinci)

But this open source one has no limits, is just a matter ot seing how you can handle it, but as with all open source, please give it a veeery patient try, as you might miss a jewel due to some quite different UI or some incomplete area, but being the tool worth it in general.  That was my approach with Blender, and it has paid (literally) quite well, that patience.

Again, haven't tried this one. The screen and feature set do look good.... (that it allows 4k I found it in the Q/A users supported system, not in the description, typical thing in open source... u gotta dig more than usual, hehe.   )

https://www.openshot.org/features/

And yet another option, Hitfilm Express.

https://fxhome.com/express

Seems it also counts on Mac version. And as Davinci free, it suports 4k but UHD only (the smaller "4k" (not really) resolution). It does seems easy to get up to speed....Some stuff is achievable with addons -dunno if paid- but is fine to me to pay for some specific feature needed, IF needed.... Their pro version, and seems there's a pattern here, lol, is also 300 bucks. So , there yo have it... go open source with Openshot and Blender(what my passion would tell me to do) , or save some bucks and buy Davinci resolve (what my brain would tell me to do... but it still would want me to use for this Blender... so, who knows if my brain is ok at all....  )

And you have as well Avidemux, a good old friend also in Windows, but that's quite more limited in capabilities, imo, unless you are mainly cutting, mounting and exporting.

Thing is, the open source one (Openshot) looks good, and easy to learn.. But again, have not tried

Hope it helps some way.

Edit: Stupid hint/anecdote of the day : I made certain pro game intro, for a commercial game, which was quite of the like of both developers and the powers that be (The Distributors/Emperors/Kings/Eldars) with....drums.... CyberLink PowerDirector ! And YEARS ago....like 12 years ago, lol. No point of comparison even with the most basic cr4p of today, which is much better. One can make videos with everything that has certain min specs, that's my point...And actually, that one was pretty fine for some basic editing, already back in the day. Dunno what are you after, the kind of tasks, I mean.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

+1 for HitFilm Express, it's very good one and they also do weekly video tutorials on their official youtube channel and you don't need to buy or pay for getting it, it's FREE !
In case you want something that works quick and use less resources (for your youtube video etc.) go for Wondershare Filmora, it's light but have good stuff in there to ... just ... you have to pay to get it; but they do offer trial period and it can export in common format which is a good thing.

Davinci Resolve didn't worked on my Mac so, i will give another try when i buy a new laptop and see if i get it sorted or not; if not i will stick with HitFilm Express and Wondershare Filmora.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

On the cheap side (again, I have no clue on which are your specific needs, neither I should ;) ) , and while I have not tested, neither I'd ever could as I don't have a mac, but this one at least can upload direct to vimeo and youtube at 4k. (I'm gonna suppose true 4k (4096 pixels width, not UHD like Davinci free or Lightowrks free))  . I'd be extremely surprised if it does not means also 4k for regular mp4 or whatever export. As that's my preferred route, full export, then upload to wherever. It must allow editing in 4k, or it'd be stupid that export, and surely regular file format export at that res.  It has super easy to understand videos, mostly as seems it is a very basic user oriented, but still, some powerful details there, it might very well cover your needs, and you count on a trial download to fully test it. :

https://www.telestream.net/screenflow/overview.htm

My own preference : I'd go with Davinci or hitfilm, but if the needs are basic, the above could be just fine. Is 129$, the other versions are merely having more filters and transitions.

I'd test every free trial (and the open source one) of what have been listed in this thread in our latest posts, see what would fit better for you... Every need has a best app.

7 hours ago, SrPx said:

On the cheap side (again, I have no clue on which are your specific needs, neither I should ;) ) , and while I have not tested, neither I'd ever could as I don't have a mac, but this one at least can upload direct to vimeo and youtube at 4k. (I'm gonna suppose true 4k (4096 pixels width, not UHD like Davinci free or Lightowrks free))  . I'd be extremely surprised if it does not means also 4k for regular mp4 or whatever export. As that's my preferred route, full export, then upload to wherever. It must allow editing in 4k, or it'd be stupid that export, and surely regular file format export at that res.  It has super easy to understand videos, mostly as seems it is a very basic user oriented, but still, some powerful details there, it might very well cover your needs, and you count on a trial download to fully test it. :

https://www.telestream.net/screenflow/overview.htm

My own preference : I'd go with Davinci or hitfilm, but if the needs are basic, the above could be just fine. Is 129$, the other versions are merely having more filters and transitions.

I'd test every free trial (and the open source one) of what have been listed in this thread in our latest posts, see what would fit better for you... Every need has a best app.

Thanks for the info.  US$129 doesn't sound too bad on the wallet.  Remember please that I'm in the UK - therefore we have a tendency to get ripped off. - Treasure Island I think was the phrase, that we were referred to by none other than the good ole USA and Japan.  I've pre-ordered the new Nikon P1000 - £999, in the UK.  In the US - $999.  Work out the currency conversion rates - and its a fair difference.  Todays rate - £999 = $1, 317.  

£299 for Final Cut Pro = $394.  Again a big difference.

$129 = £97 - Far easier pill to swallow:10_wink:

Thanks again.

On 7/26/2018 at 12:27 PM, Rigger73 said:

Thanks for the info.  US$129 doesn't sound too bad on the wallet.  Remember please that I'm in the UK - therefore we have a tendency to get ripped off. - Treasure Island I think was the phrase, that we were referred to by none other than the good ole USA and Japan.  I've pre-ordered the new Nikon P1000 - £999, in the UK.  In the US - $999.  Work out the currency conversion rates - and its a fair difference.  Todays rate - £999 = $1, 317.  

£299 for Final Cut Pro = $394.  Again a big difference.

$129 = £97 - Far easier pill to swallow:10_wink:

Thanks again.

Rigger, is that pricing (not that is much better in Spain, I get most US prices quite higher when translated to euros and the actual hardware/software, even official distributors "magical margin" out of thin air (I guess shipping, actors in the middle, etc. When not even just mere pricing strategy.), here, in almost every brand, be it software or hardware) downhill due to the Brexit, or is it for another causes ? . Anyhow, not so much noticeable for these small quantities.

Anyway.... Openshot, being pure open source, has an exact price of zero pounds.... Somehow cheaper ;) .... You might want to give it a week of trying. I have never ever regretted to do so with Blender and Wings 3D, and is free updates for life... It couldn't be with Gimp, although used it a bunch of years, at certain company, but I need certain essential features not there, even yet, and the UI is not the fastest  (it is a great app, btw, very powerful).  You never know... Indeed, Screenflow (the 129 bucks one) seems more limited in what you can do in effects and etc than say Davinci Resolve free (and +3k  pixels wide is not so small for video, yeah, is UHD, not real 4k, but...), which might not need now, but u never know....or similar case, Hitfilm Express... both mean zero pounds. Or dollars. And for the advantages of open source, I'd definitely try Openshot (heck, I 'd equally try the 3 of them, giving a bigger shot to Openshot, as I prefer open source model in certain cases. Fremium is great also as they need to improve the general package, and it reverts usually to the free version, and there's a very strong source of income to maintain that (the pro solution)). What I mean with all this : The free solutions only mean non professional solutions for a 50% of the applications (to say a random number, lol) , but even the ones which doesn't, probably are non fully set for some cases, some uses. While are quite much specialized for others. Really, really worth a dig. I tell you this as a general professional in working with images and multimedia, not as a hobbyist or passionate about open source (lol, far from it) of freemium solutions...

I mean, I wouldn't jump for the wallet in this case. I'd give a very patient try to these 3 apps. Even more, in case of putting money somewhere, you don't have an upper limit on what you can do with Davinci, specially.  And Hitfilm is both powerful and easy to handle (I don't find any video editor really hard to handle, tho... Well, in its day, Cinelerra (still Linux-only, I believe), which really made me angry against myself (I rarely blame the app in learning), as by then it was said it was a pretty professional package (I don't have a clue is if the case now)...but did not want to loose the time (is all about time, and often it is worth it) to learn it. A bad choice in general, plus, learning different UIs makes you better in the technical side of things. Is tons times better to see what are the real limitations of a package (features, modes, etc) , not own limits to learn sth a bit more difficult...one could be missing really good things.... just my 2c of your Brexit punished pound. )

PD: As a proof...I have made fully professional renders with Blender, modeling, scene composition, intros, even with physics, smoke, cloth simulation and everything... (you can imagine how powerful is that to be combined with a video editor, and Openshot seems to have that connection built-in! ) , with Wings3D, all the character models while working at game companies. A bunch of company logos were made in inkscape while at a software developer, luckily I could export to Scribus and other tools supporting CMYK, and well, Thunderbird is always my main communications center of around 10 diffferent emails (at companies and at home as a freelancer).... I prefer it to Outlook (and used a bunch of others) a thousand times. Open source produces today professional tools. The important matter is to be able to distinguish which are in a "good enough" status and which not. That and... quite some patience and resilience during learning. But it pays well the effort. Literally.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2016 at 3:47 PM, Dave_MW said:

We need Affinity Animator to take on Adobe's monopoly on Motion Design w/ After Effects. There simply isn't a decent alternative to what After Effects does. Moho 12 can replace the need for most 2D animation done in AE for about the price of an After Effects plugin but there is so much more utility that needs to be covered.

Yes!

On 8/17/2018 at 6:54 AM, angelhdz12 said:

Yes!

No.

Just consider your statement a moment... After Effects is industry leader because it's a cinematic-level tool for film professionals.To unseat it, Affinity will need to to make something light years superior to it in both features and ease of use. That just won't happen in any time period under 10 years. There would have to be a fundamental shift in the motion graphics industry for those professionals to even consider jumping ship.

If Apple can't do it with Motion despite having an existing video user base of fan boys, then how can we expect Affinity to do it?

Affinity has entered the design & print market at a time when designers are frustrated by Adobe and are very limited by its alternative options. It's recognized there's a pain point and is delivering a solution. The video industry does not have this problem so they'll just be seen as the "Johnny come lately" of editors to the world of video.

It's way more important for Affinity to get their products up to Adobe's level than start entering new industries. It would be strategic suicide that will drain capital and water down the brand.

If you want Affinity to make other products, getting Publisher finished would be a way better idea. Then perhaps focused supporting apps like a Preflighting tool for PDFs, a tool to preview/manage fonts, Affinity's own font pack or a discounted membership at a stock library – all useful tools for designers. 

If there's an industry they might be able to break into, that might be website design. Frustration being caused by FreeHand being discontinued plus the Adobe subscription model made for perfect timing to launch AF Designer. Now that Muse has been discontinued, a WYSIWYG website creator might be very well received by designers as the same set of circumstances has occurred again.

+1.    I love Affinity photo,  but please do not commit commercial suicide by attempting to bring ANOTHER NLE to market.

There are already dozens at both the professional and non-professional level (Adobe, Avid, Edius, Final Cut, Vegas Pro, Davinci Resolve, Lightworks, Hitfilm, etc.), and they are cheap to buy and in some cases free.  Some are decades old and have 100's (1000's ? of programmer years of coding already.)   It is  technically challenging both to make and support, and the level of user expertise required is quite high.    

If forum members need convincing, I suggest downloading DaVinci Resolve (free) and taking a good look at it.  Read some forum posts.   Still think Affinity should compete with this?

It's way more important for Affinity to get their products up to Adobe's level than start entering new industries. It would be strategic suicide that will drain capital and water down the brand.

^^ This. Very much. And that includes both new apps, AND new OSes (I'm one of those thinking the iOS was not a bad move, though, even If I think the desktop is the key for professionals).... IMO , for getting the right place, prestige, etc... do each step extremely well. Then all comes naturally. At some point they might be able to expand, and probably they'll want to. But imo, consolidating APhoto, AD and Apub is very crucial. Polish and polish, improve, grab market (the market will come (WAY more than already) by its own with the 3 products being solid and due to the situation of the other brands/options).  IMO, just one single app (or platform) more could be a can of worms... may I be wrong, but that's my impression.

Hi, a couple of years ago when Serif Movie Plus was abandoned I have moved to  Sony Movie Studio now Vegas Movie studio. The price is the same as was Serif MVP and software is very capable:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/gb/vegas-movie-studio-platinum/

I think the effort of Guys at Serif will be better spent on current range and getting many years promised Affinity Publisher released at last. It is before the end of August now after all.

-pp-

• 11 months later...

Hello,

This thread has experienced video editors, so I hoped you may have answer to a problem I've encountered.  The SVG files I've export from Affinity Designer are not accepted by OpenShot video editor.  Does anyone have experience with this?  Do I need to select a specific SVG option in Designer?  Also, I've found that exporting a text block with transparent background in PNG format results in OpenShot with no visible text, although viewed in other photo apps the text is visible.  This latter is probably a question for OpenShot, but maybe someone has an insight about what Designer is doing that may have this result?

Thanks for your insights.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2019 at 4:41 PM, dsac said:

The SVG files I've export from Affinity Designer are not accepted by OpenShot video editor.  Does anyone have experience with this?  Do I need to select a specific SVG option in Designer? 

Why are you  exporting SVG for use in a video editor?  I would just use a raster image file instead.  We aren't quite at the point where video is being exported in a vector format anyway