You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I would love it if you would create a Video Editing Software like premier (but better obviously) As a college student I have two choices pay the expensive price of £16 a month for Adobe's okay software or get it offline illegally and unsafe. I have already Purchased Affinity Photo, am about to Purchase Affinity Designer but would absolutely love it if there was a affinity video editor for my media. I know this might not be your kinda thing but it would be so great and I know so many people would rather use this than adobe. You're ahead of them, keep it up.

• 10 months later...

I would LOVE that Serif would make a video editor.
These guy are amazing and what they would do would be excellent, I have no doubt.

I already bought Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo. And I will buy Affinity Publish.

And, since I also work with animation (mainly 3D animation) and video, I would also buy their Affinity Video (or whatever name they would put on it) :)

• Staff

Moraldikson,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

I was tired of using Window Movie Maker because it only has the basic video editing effects and options. So I think the better option would be Video Editor or Video Converter Ultimate if you want more fancy editing features to make your own videos better. 

We aren't planning any video editing software in this Affinity range.  Serif MoviePlus X6 is much better than Windows Movie Maker, and although we aren't developing it, many of our users are still very happy with it.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Noooooo, don't do it... please don't make a video editor. Keep focussed. Make your design/print/layout/photography apps the most awesome apps out there. You know what you're doing in those fields. Continue along your development path and own these fields. Video is a totally different beast, and I really doubt you could make something better than Final Cut Pro, anyway. Then what next? You'll have to add 3D modelling, motion graphics, color grading and sound editing to that video editor to be considered serious player in the video scene.

Also, Affinity apps are professional-level apps. You can't go into video with a consumer, or even pro-sumer level application. If you do, it will water down the current line up of apps.

If you think designers are critical about your software and its [currently missing] features, wait until you try win over the video editing industry. Have a look at the backlash Apple experienced when it launched Final Cut Pro X. It was missing a few features that I'd hardly considered critical, and yet they nearly lost the entire editing industry to Premier over night. They even had to return Final Cut Pro 7 to the app store to quell the anger. Only now, with v1.3, is FCPX finally clawing back its lost user base.

I have both Premier and FCPX on my Mac. I love using FCPX, but I keep having to go back to Premier just because of one missing feature – it can't export an OMF any more. This means I can't send my project to an audio engineer for a final mix. This oversight is simply criminal and reduces FCPX to my "fun to own" list of software, and not a pro tool I use for paying clients.

Don't be tempted to become Adobe and try shovel a tool for every industry onto your customers. Stick to what you're good at and continue to make it utterly brilliant.

Thanks Affinity.

Affinity OS coming?  :P

There are so many NLE's out there that aren't Adobe. Ranging from capable to great, you'll find what you're looking for without a marriage to Adobe.

HitFilm - http://hitfilm.com

Lightworks - https://www.lwks.com

Final Cut Pro X 

DaVinci Resolve (free up to UHD, 4K and up cost money)

Assimilate Scratch - http://www.assimilateinc.com/products/- subscription or permanent license

Nuke Studio / Hiero - https://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/nuke/#nukestudio 

• 2 weeks later...

I would love it if you would create a Video Editing Software like premier (but better obviously) As a college student I have two choices pay the expensive price of £16 a month for Adobe's okay software or get it offline illegally and unsafe. I have already Purchased Affinity Photo, am about to Purchase Affinity Designer but would absolutely love it if there was a affinity video editor for my media. I know this might not be your kinda thing but it would be so great and I know so many people would rather use this than adobe. You're ahead of them, keep it up.

Me too but its clear that that's not the way the company is headed - fair enough. Premiere Pro, despite the cost is very good and I'm already using Affinity Photo to create titles and other grfx.

Moraldikson,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

We aren't planning any video editing software in this Affinity range.  Serif MoviePlus X6 is much better than Windows Movie Maker, and although we aren't developing it, many of our users are still very happy with it.

He's right about that. MoviePlus isn't fully fledged pro s/w but it can do a lot and old though it is, it's still good value. A few years ago I made some stuff for BBC Schools using it and the other day I discovered that not only is it still on their site but they're still point teachers to it.

At least on the Mac side, there are two options from Apple that would be hard to beat: iMovie and Final Cut Pro. They cover the occasional and the pro needs, so an Affinity video editor would risk to appeal to a very limited number of users.

I don't know on the Windows platform, however.

Paolo

There's like a wave of posts now that make me think that somehow has been spread the idea that Affinity will go for everything ranging from a zbrush killer, to a Office package, character animation suite, now a video editor... while the reduced team is probably sweating blood and tears to produce and maintain the 3 products. 

Heck, even MS (Expression...etc) and Autodesk (sigh, XSI, I miss you...) do limit their scope in the most drastic way at times, despite their near to unlimited resources.

BTW, about video editors, for the usual hobbyst/indy/freelancer needs, Sony Vegas is AMAZING (no need for the Platinum, btw). And very well priced. But I'd recommend too going for Movie Plus (haven't tried), so you support Serfi/affinity so that the company gets slowly a bit of breath and power. Sure is going to be easy to learn !

Edit: so much agreeing, Stephen_H. I just can't add 50 likes to a post....  :D

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

I would LOVE that Serif would make a video editor.

These guy are amazing and what they would do would be excellent, I have no doubt.

I already bought Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo. And I will buy Affinity Publish.

And, since I also work with animation (mainly 3D animation) and video, I would also buy their Affinity Video (or whatever name they would put on it) :)

I'm in luck there.... my so loved main 3D software, Blender 3D, has a video editor integrated :)

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

toaster? flyer ?

We need Affinity Animator to take on Adobe's monopoly on Motion Design w/ After Effects. There simply isn't a decent alternative to what After Effects does. Moho 12 can replace the need for most 2D animation done in AE for about the price of an After Effects plugin but there is so much more utility that needs to be covered.

• Staff

There's like a wave of posts now that make me think that somehow has been spread the idea that Affinity will go for everything ranging from a zbrush killer, to a Office package, character animation suite, now a video editor...

Many of the people joining currently are perhaps the long term Windows customers who have bought a wide variety of applications from us in the past and have faith in us to avoid the big players...

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Yes, that seems so. I indeed hadn't purchased Serif's applications till now with the AD release, but had used them, as Serif included versions of them for free many years ago in CDs that came with computer magazines (more recently, even just downloads, I believe), usually older versions. Always liked the ease to use factor. :). Anyway, those developments they suggest, (Zbrush, etc) have been many years (I followed actively several of them)  in development counting on a lot of resources and large teams, and still they seem to be proposing them as side projects or something... But well... 

BTW, about video editors, for the usual hobbyst/indy/freelancer needs, Sony Vegas is AMAZING (no need for the Platinum, btw). And very well priced. But I'd recommend too going for Movie Plus (haven't tried), so you support Serfi/affinity so that the company gets slowly a bit of breath and power. Sure is going to be easy to learn !

MoviePlus is easy to learn, and it's quite powerful, but it hasn't been updated in the past four years or so. There's no 64-bit version, and it can't handle 4K video.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

We need Affinity Animator to take on Adobe's monopoly on Motion Design w/ After Effects. There simply isn't a decent alternative to what After Effects does. Moho 12 can replace the need for most 2D animation done in AE for about the price of an After Effects plugin but there is so much more utility that needs to be covered.

ACtually there was and is IT was the Sheepeople part of you .Ie forced on you. ,and you didnt kick the tires.The Amiga still out weighs the Adobe stuff.Really Image Fx, Millieum, and many more. all this stuff was so good .. Windows companies bought it outright from Kermit. humm Still cant beat quailty as some where relased on windos ,and failed miserably. Due to downgrading for windows/mac side. This showed the inferioty of the x86. Since,the Toaster/Ligthwave  for the Pc/Mac which is better then any Adobe product .The PC/MAc Toaster/Lightwave can't compete against any orginal Amiga Toaster/FLyer . The Engineers and the CEO has said so Therefore Adobe surely isnt the greatest since sliced bread , and it isnt .. I dont know what is with this  fake sitgma of Adobe and Mac ,but it is a bunch of horse blah.Affinity comes out with stuff in beta ,and its it doesn't have this or that ..danggum its beta.Give Serif a break.. Adobe stuff sucks .i could give a littinty of problems with Adobe.its. not the defacto standard. Do you realize they still use Amiga in Hollywood ,and othere places like NASA.,,and TBN .Serif with its Affinty is striving to be better by being unique,and and again better at the same time ..with a better gui(interface) .It adds stuff. also. Nothing is perfect,but Serif  is doing pretty good.

Summary keep it up the GOOD work Serif ,and oh yeah can u get a plugin in for 3d objects,and maybe wrap text around obects   :unsure:  :D

fb4bed39afd.jpg

Open source video editors have come a long way in the past while.
Haven't had the chance to test these apps myself yet but the features

in the following seem to be pretty good.

https://kdenlive.org/
https://natron.fr/features/
http://www.openshot.org/
http://www.pitivi.org/

https://www.lwks.com/ -  This one is free with a paid pro version (Think an lifetime license is about ~$350)

Openshot seems to be the most user friendly of the lot if you're not looking for advanced editing.
I'd recommend trying two or three and see what's most stable. :)

There I would miss (and these I have used them in my job) VirtualDub (open source, no multi tracks,but useful for certain specific matters, very, indeed. mac/win only) , ffmpeg (all platforms, not an editor but amazingly powerful, which I used to combine with imagemagik for frames batch processing), cinelerra (I confess this one I only tested it).

Affinity OS coming?  :P

There are so many NLE's out there that aren't Adobe. Ranging from capable to great, you'll find what you're looking for without a marriage to Adobe.

HitFilm - http://hitfilm.com

Lightworks - https://www.lwks.com

Final Cut Pro X 

DaVinci Resolve (free up to UHD, 4K and up cost money)

Assimilate Scratch - http://www.assimilateinc.com/products/- subscription or permanent license

Nuke Studio / Hiero - https://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/nuke/#nukestudio 

Why do people think that Scratch is an NLE? Just because it has a timeline? It's not designed for editing... and ASSIMILATE doesn't advertise it as such, either. It's a great dailies tool, and a phenomenal color grading suite with some pretty powerful 3D compositing tools built in.

And Nuke Studio is $10K. For tight budgets, the best bets are HitFilm and Resolve, depending on whether you're more interested in color or more interested in VFX.