You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I belive any thinking person knows there are both intrinsic and real costs for the decision to not wait for APub. Even with the OpenSource Scribus there are costs, but it does operate on both platforms.

Let's suppose you do layout work, like books, magazines, newsletters and the like, for just a moment. And you did so in a production, single person environment. What would you do? What application path would you choose? Would there be a cost involved, both in time/effort and dollars?

While the above may be an academic exercise for you, it isn't to many people here that feel like they have been strung along, or perhaps just feel frustrated with the delay. I can guarantee that if someone pops in here and simply states "be patient" that they either have another layout application or simply do not do such work...or, perhaps a loyalist will bodge something together with AD whilst they await APub. But those who make that choice will not be dependent upon actual production because AD simply doesn't cut it.

Mike

I have no way of knowing what any thinking person might think about, what knowledge they have of either platform, what their professional or non-professional needs might be, what budget restrictions might apply to them, what software they already own or are willing to buy & learn to use, or what their motivation is for the comments they make here.

However, I am reasonably sure that none of it is the same for everyone. On that basis, I posted something that I believe not everyone has thought about. Please don't make more of it than that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

based on the "features" of High Sierra you can just as well not upgrade though :D (unless you constantly duplicate huge files or "use" the photos app)

really curious if we really see Pub this year, I think it was announced ( I honestly don't even know anymore ) but seems so surreal that this really is going to be released one day :ph34r::11_blush:

once it is released I will be looking at a solid visual remake of these tutorials :210_bear:

On 21/09/2016 at 4:18 PM, Just J said:

Oh Publisher ! Where for art thou Publisher ? 

Indeed. Wherefore actually means 'Why' in the play (as in why are you from the wrong family?) I think this applies to Publisher too: Why oh why are we being strung along AND there being no Mac solution (even a basic one) in the meantime...

4 hours ago, Moscool said:

Wherefore actually means 'Why' in the play (as in why are you from the wrong family?)

Quite so, which is why I asked

On 21/09/2016 at 7:44 PM, Alfred said:

On 21/09/2016 at 4:18 PM, Just J said:

Oh Publisher ! [Wherefore] art thou Publisher ? 

What do you think they should have called it instead? ears.gif

but @Just J never answered (and he hasn't made any further posts here, having apparently last visited these forums a few weeks after making that one).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, Moscool said:

Indeed. Wherefore actually means 'Why' in the play (as in why are you from the wrong family?) I think this applies to Publisher too: Why oh why are we being strung along AND there being no Mac solution (even a basic one) in the meantime...

VivaDesigner is available for Mac, PC and several Linux distros. There is a free version for non-commercial use. The paid-for version is better. It is more or less comparable to what PagePlus was, but without much OpenType feature support (only ligatures). But it works. I have one client with offices in 3 countries that uses it, and therefore I do for them.

QuarkXPress. Also available Mac/PC, good OT feature coverage. Currently there is an upgrade from (just about) anything offer (including CorelDraw, nearly any Adobe product--even CC--PagePlus, etc.). As well, one currently gets pdfToolbox from callas. callas is the company that licenses the preflight module to Adobe for Acrobat. While it cannot edit the contents of a PDF directly, everything else about preflighting a pdf is there and more so than Acrobat. It includes a decent imposition module.

Scribus. Multi-OS capable.While it works and is getting slowly better, I absolutely hate using it. they have added OT Feature support.

If people need something capable for page layout now, there is no excuse to not investigate what is available. Well, other than you're not going to get the two commercial packages I mention for $50. But Scribus is, well, free. Just get one of these or something else and produce dollars or get that gratis work done.

Swift publisher is also ok. On pc, pageplus is still best, although they don't support windows 10 so it might stop working sometime.

Xara designer pro on pc is a contender. I need software that can open pdf files successfully and not many can do that.

I tried quarkxpress 2017 and it didn't cope very well with complex pdf files unfortunately. Otherwise that would have been my solution.

As for publisher, I first saw discussions about it in 2015. Given the focus on ipad, I have a feeling it might never arrive.

16 minutes ago, Magic-design said:

On pc, pageplus is still best, although they don't support windows 10 so it might stop working sometime.

PagePlus is now 'legacy' software, so there aren't going to be any further updates, but PagePlus X9 seems to work fine on Windows 10 for the time being.

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

PagePlus is now 'legacy' software, so there aren't going to be any further updates, but PagePlus X9 seems to work fine on Windows 10 for the time being.

Yes, it works well for me, so that I do not have any current cravings for Affinity Publisher!

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 minute ago, John Rostron said:

Yes, it works well for me, so that I do not have any current cravings for Affinity Publisher!

I'm interested to see what they do with APub, but I certainly don't have cravings for it! I expect it to have good OpenType support, as the other Affinity apps already do, but beyond that I won't be at all surprised if its capabilities fall quite far short of what PP was able to do several versions ago.

Alfred spacer.png

25 minutes ago, Tia Lapis said:

Scribus has sadly a very unuseable GUI. Reminds me of many Windows and Linux programs. Just no taste 8(

Ugly can still work. If one is caught up in what a UI looks like, they must not need to pay the bills using it. Work-flow is another issue and I don't find that Scribus' work-flow is as efficient as other applications. I've still made money with it despite it being ugly. I just dislike using it.

28 minutes ago, Magic-design said:

Swift publisher is also ok. On pc, pageplus is still best, although they don't support windows 10 so it might stop working sometime.

Xara designer pro on pc is a contender. I need software that can open pdf files successfully and not many can do that.

I tried quarkxpress 2017 and it didn't cope very well with complex pdf files unfortunately. Otherwise that would have been my solution.

As for publisher, I first saw discussions about it in 2015. Given the focus on ipad, I have a feeling it might never arrive.

I have used XDP since version 6. It can cope with a good range of PDFs, but it still fails with many, typically from AI or ID. 

I really don't get the concept that one needs a do-all application. Use what works best for the task at hand. I'll use ID & QXp for what they are intended for. XDP is not and never will be a usable layout application. But as you mention. it does cope with a broader range of PDFs if one needs to edit them than Q does. 

Serif's goals are ambitious with the Affinity products and the single-file format. It is a long-view strategy. Once APub is up and going, if Serif can advance capabilities across the range in a timely fashion, one day they may make inroads to the mainstream market. They hopefully will carve out a good slice of the pie.

Waiting for that to happen? I don't want to starve between now and then and I don't think my clients would appreciate the wait. Maybe we could return to the age of benefactors...

PagePlus was/is bloated by functionality it never should have had. It also isn't so great with placed pdfs...it could have gotten better in that regard had it still been in development as that was an X9 feature.

Hopefully Serif will avoid those mistakes in APub.

Hello

I'm new here at the forum, but I'm happy to see Affinity Publisher coming along.

At the moment Pages on Mac is enough for my DTP usage, but the latest iOS like Pages version is missing too many features.

Before I used PageStream on my Amiga computers. Had many great features and very usefull ones not found in any Pro DTP app. I don't know if PageStream is still being developped but I would like  to see Affinity Publisher lending many ideas from Pagestream. Like moving, resizing objects of any kind by an autorecording script function. Or importing / exporting any format be it GFX or documents formats (mainly due to Amiga's Datatypes: le the OS handle any data and the apps can do it too). Another great feature was unlimited zoom, calculations inside boxes like 22 mm + 3 cm, just to resize, place or put an object to the right direction. Or making any object a textbox, any size any form or any color attributes. Or even strange forms in photographs a textbox.

Plus putting any mathc of pages DIN A4, doublesided with DIN anysize mixed anyway with different page numbering  formats. True export to pro printing services

And Pagestream was fast on an Amiga. Really fast. I made several publications for organizations and everytime the guy at the printing bureaus were impressed by the capabilities of Pagestream. They often told wow even InDesign or QuarkXpress can't do that . 

http://www.pagestream.org

You are wrong @cyberhusky. QuarkXPress and InDesign have ALL these features except recording. So will Publisher, but not all of them in the first version.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)