You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

12 minutes ago, NewInBoston said:

They have raised the bar on their own software over the last two years, so it's probably increased production time on Publisher making sure it meets their quality.

can't agree

always worked mostly, just some features added and some not :210_bear:

• 5 weeks later...

Looking forward to the release of AP too (when it's ready!) :D

What about Aldus PageMaker! For me it was the first programme I had really had to learn to use, but once through the learning curve I formed a close bond with it. Used it for producing technical manuals and found the story editor feature very useful. Seem to remember their customer support was good as well.

v2.4.0 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.3.1

Are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet?

Just to re-iterate on the anticipation for the Publisher (beta) :)

A happy Photo and Designer user (looking very much forward to completing the "creative suite") - and software engineer by profession, knowing very well how to ask annoying questions ;)

Keep up the good work!

Oliver

11 hours ago, whitewolf7070 said:

Corel Ventura Publisher was an amazing program, far ahead of its time. Intuitive, powerful, full-featured. Sadly, PC only. Corel let it die. Not updated since 2002. So sad. Hope AP draws some inspiration from this once-great program.

I did not like it, there was no free positioning, everything just dropped to page/columns and had to reposition using all kinds of hacks. Great automation features though.

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

I did not like it, there was no free positioning, everything just dropped to page/columns and had to reposition using all kinds of hacks. Great automation features though.

One could create individual text or image frames at will in VP.

But VP was always geared towards long documents, or otherwise structured documents, whether one used the base page or frames. It wasn't efficient for ad hoc design. For that, we always used PM and QXP (and which of those two depended upon the client and the work) and or CorelDraw, ProfessionalDraw or FH.

I have VP10 installed here on a Windows 10 computer. I still use it in order to convert old documents to a modern application.

That's an old post. Being a Windows user most of my life, and then switching to Mac, I had no idea how many problems only occur in Windows, but I guess that's not relevant here.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I'm not saying Mac doesn't have issues, but I'm saying that there is a lot I didn't know when I was a Windows user. For example, an anti-virus is not needed because Mac has security settings built in. I got malware from a not-so-smart download, my date was changed, and I had other issues, but the system update removed everything and brought my OS back to normal. So I will say, even though I am still fairly new, it is a completely different experience to actually be there and understand it for myself.

Back on topic now, I look forward to the release of Publisher. I am hoping it features different templates like for business cards, for example. I could definitely use that.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

7 hours ago, Oval said:

hopefully not so many in APu for Windows now ;)

Oh I meant the OS itself, not the Affinity programs.

14 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

Oh I meant the OS itself, not the Affinity programs.

Of course, thanks. It was just a tiny joke [hint: the used emoticon] because this is more about Affinity Pu, whose problems (some excluded) we can not discuss here.

On 11/6/2017 at 4:09 AM, Fixx said:

I used it from version 1.1, used it to build a media business, and made lots of $$$ with it :-). Never had the problem you mention. Once you understood that everything was in frames, you could just make frames and place anything anywhere. You could have multi-columns on the on underlying page or not. Text in one frame could flow around another frame, or even objects in the frame. It was pretty amazing. Loved the way it created captions and made Paragraph tagging a breeze. You could make style tags for frames, text, paragraphs, most anything and applying them was quick and intuitive. If I hadn't moved to Mac, I would still be using it. Still am tempted, but would have to install a virtual machine and buy Windows. Ventura should get a lot more credit than it does. I hear that it is still used quite a bit in Europe. (sigh)

As an Affinity Designer owner I also use CorelDraw X8 as it has some very powerful capabilities esp. regarding its page layout text handling overall. I am awaiting Affinity Publisher as I wish to see if I can make the jump from Corel to Serif/Affinity (although I may keep CD around).

One of the things that makes me warm to the Affinity range is that in following Adobe and MS, Corel is edging closer to the subscription route. Although I don't think Corel are quite big enough to go subs only.

I notice that on the Affinity web site, it mentions Affinity Publisher will appear in 2018. Whilst I don't expect a definite date, it would be helpful to know if it will be Q1, Q2, Q3 or Q4. After all, Dec 31 2018 would still qualify!

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone 

Well Affinity is a great set of apps and it has made my design learning very easy but I see from the 12 pages of this forum that we are waiting for the desktop publisher app for more than 3 years since it's first announcement. 

Are we close to the release? 

Many of the designers and editors out there are bleeding with the cost of products we all know and use. 

2018 is the year of Freelance and young but skilled editors to surface and bring the change. 

Publisher will bring more colors and creativity in this Design world but... When exactly? 

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

12 hours ago, Arnaud Mez said:

Hello everyone 

Well Affinity is a great set of apps and it has made my design learning very easy but I see from the 12 pages of this forum that we are waiting for the desktop publisher app for more than 3 years since it's first announcement. 

Are we close to the release? 

Many of the designers and editors out there are bleeding with the cost of products we all know and use. 

2018 is the year of Freelance and young but skilled editors to surface and bring the change. 

Publisher will bring more colors and creativity in this Design world but... When exactly? 

Hi there, and welcome to the Affinity forums.

There was previously a sneak peek of Affinity Publisher back in December, and we were told that the beta will be released by next summer.

Here is the topic.

9 hours ago, Hokusai said:

Isn't that this summer? 

Specifically, yes. I was talking about what was previously said back in December. Now that it's coming up, we can say "this" summer.

13 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

Hi there, and welcome to the Affinity forums.

There was previously a sneak peek of Affinity Publisher back in December, and we were told that the beta will be released by next summer.

Here is the topic.

Thank You Bri-Toon

i wonder if anyone here knows if Pubisher will:

1- Be release under another name than Publisher: to me, it that name makes it more simplicist and less creative considering all goods and pleasant works made by Serif Devs.

2- Be able to do word processing better than what we seen on the market now? i mean to manage huge quantity of text (Book Editing in example)

Example: if i have received a manuscript from a client for a book to edit, will Publisher be able to just paste the text into the newly created project and let it flow until the end thus creating additional pages (in case i have set 18 pages and the things goes up to 27 pages).

3- Be using less RAM, the same way Design & Photo does actually ?

4- Enable us to

a- right click on an image in the project and select "edit with photo" and after we have done necessary work in Photo just save it and see the update into the currently opened project.

b- do the same as above but with vectors in the project.

5- Make it possible to create alternate layout ?

example: i often have to work on Facebook and twitter Design for clients, most of them ask for A5 Flyer design they can print and put on their page but often come back asking for their banner to be changed to the same exact thing, plus the profile picture plus other visual they may need.

So, having manually create and artboard, copy, paste, resize etc... takes time but would be fine if every thing can be made semi-Auto like :

create an A3 Poster, then deviate it to A5 Flyer, then to FB banne size then to photo profile then to ... very quick with all previously created objects then just spend the rest of the time reorganizing them and or removing what un-needed here or there.... the print it/or deliver to the client and move to the next cup of coffee before opening another project for another client.

And to finish, will publisher be a suite that will connect in it's lower level with already installed Affinity Designer/Photo or Designer+Photo?

I trust the Devs team for file importation from other solutions.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

For your number 4, we were given a glimpse of the Affinity Designer and Photo icons in place of where the personas usually are. It hasn't yet been revealed what they will do, but MattP (CEO) said that they will do something that cannot possibly be done in any other program. Interesting, yes?