You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Anybody can make a suggestion for a product but only someone living in a fantasy world would expect any company to pay them anything for that. If you do not understand why the idea is absurd, please contact a lawyer who specializes in intellectual property (IP) rights & ask for an explanation of what does & does not constitute IP.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am suggesting payment because a suggestion has been made to the business and the suggestion taken up by the business.

I did not purport trying to enforce any supposed intellectual property rights in a legal claim.

The two are not the same and should not be conflated as if they are.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

5 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I am suggesting payment because a suggestion has been made to the business and the suggestion taken up by the business

Best of luck with those windmills, Mr. Quixote.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

14 minutes ago, William Overington said:

For the avoidance of doubt, I am suggesting payment because a suggestion has been made to the business and the suggestion taken up by the business.

I did not purport trying to enforce any supposed intellectual property rights in a legal claim.

The two are not the same and should not be conflated as if they are.

William

I have often seen disclaimers on contact forms that warn against submitting ideas, as the company will not pay for them; sort of “submit at your own risk/cost”.

13 minutes ago, William Overington said:

So then why exactly do you expect any company to pay you anything for something you have absolutely no ownership rights for? Do you have no business sense at all?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

Pledge 4 has been made

Pledge 4 said nothing about paying for ideas. They're always accepted ideas. Perhaps now they'll try to implement more of them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

36 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Pledge 4 said nothing about paying for ideas.

Exactly!

37 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

They're always accepted ideas. Perhaps now they'll try to implement more of them.

And perhaps they will pay for ideas that they implement.

William 

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

10 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Extremely unlikely, as others here have said.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

47 minutes ago, R C-R said:

So then why exactly do you expect any company to pay you anything for something you have absolutely no ownership rights for?

If they do pay me something at some future time, then that would be because I wrote to them and suggested an idea to them which they took up and it improved their product and increased their sales. It may be that the company would ask for ideas and state upfront that any ideas new to them that they used would result in a payment being made to the person who provided the idea to them. Sort of like a staff suggestion scheme yet for customers.

48 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Do you have no business sense at all?

Quite possibly not. One cannot be good at everything.

William

31 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Exactly!

William 

They will, but not to you because:

1 The ideas have already been implemented by Adobe (or some other competitor).

2 I (or someone else) sent them in before you did

Your ideas are neither novel nor new.   Unless you and your [expsen$ive] lawyers can prove otherwise in court.,

3 they have already looked at it, and it is not worth the cost of doing it for the number of users who might want it. They won't say this as they don't mind other developers spending time and resource on something that is not commercial viable.

Slightly more seriously, it is to the benefit of the users in general that they listen to users and implement what "we" want, up to a point.

www.JAmedia.uk  and www.TamworthHeritage.org.uk
[Win 11  | AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

Serif never paid endusers for any of the zillions of ideas they have submitted for improvements to any of the Affinity products, including ones they implemented. What makes you think it would be any different now that Canva owns them? It's a for-profit business, not a charity.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

16 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Serif never paid endusers for any of the zillions of ideas they have submitted for improvements to any of the Affinity products, including ones they implemented. What makes you think it would be any different now that Canva owns them? It's a for-profit business, not a charity.

Well exactly, as you put, "It's a for-profit business, not a charity."

So as it wants ideas then it seems to me that, as a for-profit business, it should be willing to pay for them, and do so.

William

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

If they do pay me something at some future time, then that would be because I wrote to them and suggested an idea to them which they took up and it improved their product and increased their sales.

@William Overington a great idea and $2.25 will get you a medium size drip coffee at Starbucks.

Also see: Ideas are cheap.

Can we please end this bizarrely surreal, entirely pointless thread? It would be impossible to calculate how or even if your idea had any impact on future sales as it's unlikely that 'your feature' would ship in isolation. The apps are a holistic collection of features and tools, and not broken down and valued by their constituent parts.

If/when Canva/Affinity release their SDK feel free to build your own extensions, plugins, etc and charge what you want.

Edited by Bryan Rieger
Added clarity.

Just now, William Overington said:

So as it wants ideas then it seems to me that, as a for-profit business, it should be willing to pay for them, and do so.

You are living in a dream world if you think they will pay you for anything that you cannot establish legal ownership of. Again, please consult a lawyer if you do not understand why it is absurd of you to think they would do this.

Affinity Photo 

17 minutes ago, Bryan Rieger said:

Can we please end this bizarrely surreal, entirely pointless thread?

The Ignore button is your friend. ;) 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

2 hours ago, Bryan Rieger said:

@William Overington a great idea and $2.25 will get you a medium size drip coffee at Starbucks.

@Bryan Rieger and everybody else, I have seen this thing about some sum of money getting some item at Starbucks (sum of money changes, item changes, always Starbucks) in various places, no, not directed at me, and it seems to be some sort of idiom, possibly American.

Is there some explanation of what it means please?

William

3 hours ago, Bryan Rieger said:

Can we please end this bizarrely surreal, entirely pointless thread?

Isn't the point, such as it is, to provide a small amount of comic relief in what is otherwise a topic that some have serious misgivings about?

Affinity Photo 

3 hours ago, Bryan Rieger said:

Can we please end this bizarrely surreal, entirely pointless thread? It would be impossible to calculate how or even if your idea had any impact on future sales as it's unlikely that 'your feature' would ship in isolation. The apps are a holistic collection of features and tools, and not broken down and valued by their constituent parts.

If/when Canva/Affinity release their SDK feel free to build your own extensions, plugins, etc and charge what you want.

Forget it, it's a lost cause. This thread - and many others here - prove that Serif has long lost the battle for the serious and professional market, and has attracted hobbyists and the smallest sole proprietorships, and a number of users who lead these discussions here.

Just try to read all the nonsense in the thread again! It's completely surreal for me as an adult to come home from the labor market and the seriousness there, and the type of thorough and insightful people I meet there, and then come home, and just see if there's anything new regarding a rather significant and serious acquisition situation, here. I can, with quite convincing use of enormous understatement, ascertain that this forum is a different genre, and that it is demotivating as a serious customer of Designer to have to navigate this nonsense and hell of postulates. It's like having an evening job at a youth school.

The thread about the acquisition was actually one of the few threads where more focused and mature customers contributed their two cents, and I felt like I was among adults, and it has been beneficial for everyone, and I hope, especially for the leadership at Serif. But the illusion that there are serious customers out there in significant numbers quickly collapses when we very quickly end up back in nonsense.

This thread (and many others) has ended in a dead end, and it makes me quite clearly state and summarize what I have otherwise reflected on in the analog world, that it's the same for Affinity.

'Revolution' my bare butt. There's explosive energy behind a revolution. This is the last gasp of a leaky beach ball we're witnessing.

I do desire we may be better strangers!

I simply no longer believe that there are any professional graphic designers here. Everything follows suit. Just everything.

13 hours ago, Bit Disappointed said:

Forget it, it's a lost cause. This thread - and many others here - prove that Serif has long lost the battle for the serious and professional market, and has attracted hobbyists and the smallest sole proprietorships, and a number of users who lead these discussions here.

Ya know, I use Publisher daily. It's got great features not found in InDesign that allows me to get work done faster, better and more efficiently.

Would I recommend for other pros to use? YES! The suite has many cool great features that help artists to get work done.

Would I recommend for other pros to leave Creative Suite for it now? No. It's not yet mature enough to handle the myriad of tasks that are required for graphic arts (print in my case).

I think we are all here because we care about the whole environment of Serif/Affinity, and I think you are wholesale selling the whole community as unserious is quite fitting. Perhaps you are the one who is missing out on what drives this community, and in part it's not what drives other communities.

So @Bit Disappointed what makes the suite not professional to you? Also what are the features and things you really dig?

Make of this what you will: In the US & in several other countries Amazon Prime Video has added a limited number of commercials before & during TV shows & movies. Occasionally, there have been ones for Canva but from what I can tell there is no mention of Affinity, just the Canva web site.

Affinity Photo 

16 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Make of this what you will: In the US & in several other countries Amazon Prime Video has added a limited number of commercials before & during TV shows & movies. Occasionally, there have been ones for Canva but from what I can tell there is no mention of Affinity, just the Canva web site.

I wouldn’t make anything of it, as the ads were likely made before the acquisition was finalized, and the teams at Canva are only now likely beginning to think how best to integrate the Affinity products into their overall brand and messaging.

22 minutes ago, Bryan Rieger said:

I wouldn’t make anything of it...

The only reason I mentioned it was because I have never seen a commercial for Canva on any other streaming service besides in Prime Video, nor on any broadcast or cable TV networks. So I am a bit curious about if this is the start of trying to reach a broader viewing audience or what.

The comment about Affinity was just in case anybody wanted to know if it was mentioned.

Affinity Photo