You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 3/28/2024 at 3:09 PM, walt.farrell said:

If you want to use that font in Designer you'll need to uninstall the Variable version and install the Static version that Google Fonts also provides in the download file.

I am using a variety of different axes in my design, so instantiating versions is not an option (much less the pre-rendered static versions that cover only the slnt and wght axes...).

3 hours ago, Teal_B said:

I am using a variety of different axes in my design, so instantiating versions is not an option (much less the pre-rendered static versions that cover only the slnt and wght axes...).

Then you'll need to use a different application, not one of the Affinity ones. Variable fonts are not supported in any Affinity application.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

40 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Then you'll need to use a different application, not one of the Affinity ones. Variable fonts are not supported in any Affinity application.

... which is exactly why I'm posting to ask for that feature to be added?

2 hours ago, Teal_B said:

which is exactly why I'm posting to ask for that feature to be added?

You’re right: that is the purpose of these forums.

At this point, I believe the message has been received by Serif/Canva. I’m not sure if you noticed the post a few above your first in this thread, but it appears Serif does have in mind to add variable font support, as they recently said in their second email concerning the Canva acquisition:

In fact, we’re committed to using our shared resources to continue expanding Affinity’s products through further investment in Affinity as a standalone product suite. We’re looking forward to accelerating the rollout of highly requested features such as variable font support, blend and width tools, auto object selection, multi-page spreads, ePub export and much more.

As a related matter, I noticed the tag “rmap-26” added to this and many other threads related to variable font support. Is that new? I ave just been overlooking it until now, but this is the first I realized it is there. What is “rmap”? Could it be some indication that Serif is publicly acknowledging something of a road map again?

4 hours ago, Teal_B said:

... which is exactly why I'm posting to ask for that feature to be added?

Yes; sorry. I missed where this discussion is located.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@garrettm30 rmap is roadmap which means it may come in 2.5!!

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

5 hours ago, tzvi20 said:

@garrettm30 rmap is roadmap which means it may come in 2.5!!

Or it may not! We don’t even know whether it’s a 2.x roadmap, let alone 2.5: it could be a roadmap for version 3.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

While not guaranteed, I did see a comment from @Dan C that they wanted to implement as soon as possible. Also, they add these tags right before features go into beta.

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

• Staff

My post above includes a quote from the Affinity and Canva pledge, which uses the wording "over the coming year" - this is all we have to share at this moment :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

@Dan C What does the Rmap tag on the threads about this mean?

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

• Staff
2 hours ago, tzvi20 said:

What does the RMAP tag on the threads about this mean?

These tags are simply used by our team to track certain conversations about features / feature requests - they do not indicate that a feature will be added to the apps, or indicate any specific timescale for features once added to a thread.
They are purely an internal tool for our teams metrics and information gathering therefore I would not recommend paying them mind as a user.

Once we have information to share about new and upcoming features, these will almost always be posted first in the New Features beta section of the Forums :)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Hi All,

I'm pleased to let you know we have now added support for Variable Fonts to the Affinity Suite on all platforms - available to try now in the 2.5 beta...

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

Amazing! Thank you for working towards adding variable fonts support! Ii would also be amazing if we can work towards adding support for SVG color fonts.

I have an idea for helping to further build and anccelerate the advancement of Affinity’s capabilities. What if we can fund commonly requested features through donations? I’d be happy to help by putting money into a fund for the development of SVG color fonts support. Other funds can also be created for commonly requested tools and features like vector tracing, manual curve smoothing, basic 3D editor and constructor for mockups creation…etc.

2020 iPad Pro 12.9 (4th Generation pre-M1 CPU)

iPadOS 16.2

1 hour ago, DR34MER said:

Amazing! Thank you for working towards adding variable fonts support! Ii would also be amazing if we can work towards adding support for SVG color fonts.

I have an idea for helping to further build and anccelerate the advancement of Affinity’s capabilities. What if we can fund commonly requested features through donations? I’d be happy to help by putting money into a fund for the development of SVG color fonts support. Other funds can also be created for commonly requested tools and features like vector tracing, manual curve smoothing, basic 3D editor and constructor for mockups creation…etc.

Do other companies do that sort of thing? Let users donate and develop based on that? It sounds like a real nightmare on the back end. You have 10 people donate for X feature, so the company starts developing, then you have 15 people donate for Z feature, does the company stop and switch gears based on donations? Do they pout out options for people to bid on and in that time frame which ever one gets the most is the one that goes into development? The only good I see from this type of idea is it is an easy way to be disruptive and create chaos to ones business. 

1 hour ago, DR34MER said:

fund for the development

These ideas have been here many times, for example:

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I think I will start paying attention to Rmap tags again🤣

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6