You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[ADe] Select same color / fill / stroke / appearance

54 minutes ago, fde101 said:

You probably grabbed an X11 build instead of a native Quartz build.  From comments I have seen the Quartz builds are less stable at the moment but that is supposed to be fixed in the upcoming 1.0 version which is now in beta.

It would be great to have a non subscription feature rich alternative to cover the multiple feature shortfalls of AD, but because of its woeful UI and poor performance on Mac I doubt Inkscape is it, for me right now.

On 11/8/2019 at 2:55 PM, jamesholden said:

It would be great to have a non subscription feature rich alternative to cover the multiple feature shortfalls of AD

There is always CorelDraw if you are willing to pay for it...  not cheap, but they still offer a non-subscription version on their web site, including a Mac version now for the first time in a long time.

Inkscape is using a UI toolkit that is mostly UNIX/X-oriented, and no it does not have the native appearance of a Mac application - even in the "native" Quartz version (I downloaded the beta of 1.0 to check it out, but haven't had much time to play with it yet), but I haven't really taken the time to work out how functional the UI is yet.  At first glance I suspect it is probably better than most people here seem to give it discredit for, but not likely as well-designed as Affinity Designer is.

Well if they had some form of plugin API, then like sketch 3prty dev could help build out missing features. I'm guessing development has slowed down overall, since it's spread over multiple platforms and programs. In the beginning it was just AD. So it's a double edge sword, you get people like window folks and iPad folks ... but at the cost of finishing one apps full feature set ... some what.

We of course can't see behind the doors, so we can't say at what state of develop they at with these things. As well as long term foundational plans. Lastly it's the hardest part of using software in my opinion these days is that many lock you into a file format that is not portable. One of the best things about Inkscape and sketch for that matter :D.

I switched from freehand -> Inkscape -> AD mostly because the Inkscape dev was too slow and the Mac dev was way to far behind and not native enough.

The fact that I must buy publisher to get features freehand had years ago is unfortunate. But it seems like what must be done.

Adobe is moving on to the next level which will be hard to fight AI/ML to speedup grunt work. So now I still need to learn these thing if I'm to work with companies on site or share files :(.

Tuff time and great time for design.

x

inkscape-find-object.png

On 11/17/2019 at 7:47 AM, xman said:

Well if they had some form of plugin API, then like sketch 3prty dev could help build out missing features. I'm guessing development has slowed down overall, since it's spread over multiple platforms and programs. In the beginning it was just AD.

I had to agree with some of this. I am wondering if the multi platform model is diluting the strength of each product.

Such fracterising may be having an impact on features like this. Which as you hinted at, could possibly be solved if they would simply open the app up via APIs so we could have everything as a plugin.

On 11/8/2019 at 6:53 PM, fde101 said:

You probably grabbed an X11 build instead of a native Quartz build.  From comments I have seen the Quartz builds are less stable at the moment but that is supposed to be fixed in the upcoming 1.0 version which is now in beta.

Interesting. Maybe I'll have another look.

I love Affinity Designer and the great wonderful people behind it. I'm an early adopter and devised many of my studio's workflows around it. To the point that when a client requests a 'last-minute' change in the style guides I don't hesitate in assigning an intern, when there's one around, just to go through the time consuming and the painstaking chore of changing all the objects that need to be changed. Some of our projects can be huge. We have teams of designers and illustrators working on year-long projects that generate hundreds of artwork crammed artboards. I don't even get the chance to open all those files. Now, when the client requests us something seemingly simple as: "guys, the school computers have really bad screens. We need to increase the line thickness a bit". That makes my stomach drop. In many projects that means entire days of grunt work. Unhappiness ensues. Interns blame their fate. The less organized creatives become scapegoats for not keeping their layers in order. I struggle to outsource this burden and keep this evil out of the door. Sites like Mechanical Turk is not an option because very few users know of Affinity. Most often I end up hiring a freelancer, buying them an Affinity Designer copy, teach them the ropes in 15 minutes, pat them in the back and hope for the best. The only reason I endure this is just that I am a data freak and I measure everything: Affinity is so good that the performance gain is still worth this pain. But... guys, honestly, it's about time we have a Select Same [property] feature. Don't know any producer, project manager, director or anyone who has the responsibility to deliver work to clients who I have shown Affinity to that haven't scoffed at this omission. Let's be frank about what 'software reliability' means to an agency or studio: the features to implement that $%#! last-minute infuriating client change request without missing the deadline or derailing the budget. The reason why I don't understand why this feature is not a priority is that, as not only a creative but also as a business owner, I tend to consider anything that causes loss of productivity and eventually money, a priority. And honestly, I'd really love to be able to convince my clients to adopt Affinity Designer too so I don't have to go through the other—and last—grievance I have: conversion to Illustrator. I really dream about the day clients stop to ask me to convert the source files to AI. Please, let's make this happen. I really love the tool and admire your work but can't hold this back anymore. I think it's about time I share this.

17 hours ago, edobarbosa said:

I love Affinity Designer and the great wonderful people behind it. I'm an early adopter and devised many of my studio's workflows around it. To the point that when a client requests a 'last-minute' change in the style guides I don't hesitate in assigning an intern, when there's one around, just to go through the time consuming and the painstaking chore of changing all the objects that need to be changed. Some of our projects can be huge. We have teams of designers and illustrators working on year-long projects that generate hundreds of artwork crammed artboards. I don't even get the chance to open all those files. Now, when the client requests us something seemingly simple as: "guys, the school computers have really bad screens. We need to increase the line thickness a bit". That makes my stomach drop. In many projects that means entire days of grunt work. Unhappiness ensues. Interns blame their fate. The less organized creatives become scapegoats for not keeping their layers in order. I struggle to outsource this burden and keep this evil out of the door. Sites like Mechanical Turk is not an option because very few users know of Affinity. Most often I end up hiring a freelancer, buying them an Affinity Designer copy, teach them the ropes in 15 minutes, pat them in the back and hope for the best. The only reason I endure this is just that I am a data freak and I measure everything: Affinity is so good that the performance gain is still worth this pain. But... guys, honestly, it's about time we have a Select Same [property] feature. Don't know any producer, project manager, director or anyone who has the responsibility to deliver work to clients who I have shown Affinity to that haven't scoffed at this omission. Let's be frank about what 'software reliability' means to an agency or studio: the features to implement that $%#! last-minute infuriating client change request without missing the deadline or derailing the budget. The reason why I don't understand why this feature is not a priority is that, as not only a creative but also as a business owner, I tend to consider anything that causes loss of productivity and eventually money, a priority. And honestly, I'd really love to be able to convince my clients to adopt Affinity Designer too so I don't have to go through the other—and last—grievance I have: conversion to Illustrator. I really dream about the day clients stop to ask me to convert the source files to AI. Please, let's make this happen. I really love the tool and admire your work but can't hold this back anymore. I think it's about time I share this.

I've pointed this out before but even Coreldraw doesn't have this feature natively.  There are macros that allow very similar functionality, but all that Coreldraw has is a very, very long-winded Find and Replace feature that makes you answer 30 questions if you want to use it, and it fails if you have any art grouped.  LOL  So, in order to use it you have to agree to ungroup all of your art.  Coreldraw costs $500.00.  So there's no rule on such features.  Illustrator has it.  I just learned today that Inkscape also has it.  That surprised me but I suppose it's because they've heard the wailing of the children and it broke their hearts.

18 hours ago, edobarbosa said:

Thanks for this respectful, impassioned real-world perspective.

You have expressed why I continue to watch Affinity Designer (and monitor this post), but am not using it or recommending it to anyone until this is committed to publicly and fixed.

Just another desperate plea for this essential feature (select by [attribute]) . The Devs have done a great job with Affinity Designer. However, for me, this is the last critical feature preventing me from using Designer everyday, vs. Illustrator.   please, please please!

…it's not meager in Illustrator.

It is compared to FreeHand's Graphic Find & Replace, which appeared well before, and which helped drive demand for something like it in Adobe Illustrator—which still fell short, just like other features preceded by FreeHand.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:37 PM, edobarbosa said:

But... guys, honestly, it's about time we have a Select Same [property] feature....so I don't have to go through the other—and last—grievance I have: conversion to Illustrator.

Illustrator is not the model to emulate. "Select Same" is very weak compared to selecting properties based on user-specified ranges of values (again, per FreeHand's GF&R).

Give Serif time to raise the bar, folks. Get over the Illustrator addiction to mediocrity.

JET

29 minutes ago, JET_Affinity said:

It is compared to FreeHand's Graphic Find & Replace, which appeared well before, and which helped drive demand for something like it in Adobe Illustrator—which still fell short, just like other features preceded by FreeHand.

Illustrator is not the model to emulate. "Select Same" is very weak compared to selecting properties based on user-specified ranges of values (again, per FreeHand's GF&R).

Give Serif time to raise the bar, folks. Get over the Illustrator addiction to mediocrity.

JET

Good morning JET,

Although I agree about some weakness in Illustrator, at least for the time being what it provides in this matter is far better than nothing. It is the only reason why I still use Illustrator from time to time. The rest of the time I only use affinity.

About giving the time to affinity, in regards to these functionalities the bar is at the level zero. By the way do you really think that five years is not enough at least to start something?

I love affinity and they do have wonderful products that I use everyday but their behaviour with their user base is questionable. Have a look to the length of this thread....

Have a nice day.

2 hours ago, DomD said:

but their behaviour with their user base is questionable.

Hi @DomD,

I want to disagree with this statement. Serif has numerously explained that and why some features are not implemented yet. Serif's developers and other staff are participating in this forum. Their tone and way of communication is very educated and customer oriented. I say this because I am reading the forum for several years. I do not quote any of these postings in mind but can give you examples if required.

What is not there is a feature to select/filter objects according to their properties. But this is not questionable, perhaps disappointing to some of the users.

BTW, I would very much appreciate this feature, whatever way it is implemented.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

2 hours ago, dominik said:

can give you examples

Like this: We thought that Affinity Publisher will be available in September 2015 as published by Serif. Same in 2016, … No release update via email to the clients who purchased the first apps (to get a whole working suite workflow). No excuse. Just words like ”No-one from Serif is thinking 2017. We need it earlier than that”. Same with localizations missing for years (We got something like “if we have time”. For paid localizations!) that could be corrected in a few hours, same with some bugs.

I totally agree that "Their tone and way of communication is very educated and customer oriented." the problem is that they just do no give any real answer to the question. In other words they have a very polite way to tell us "hey guys we just do whatever we want whenever we want and if you are not happy, get F...." PERIOD

10 hours ago, Oval said:

Like this: We thought that Affinity Publisher will be available in September 2015 as published by Serif.

This is perhaps part of the reason why Serif has adjusted (or changed) their way of what they communicate about future features and the roadmap(s). (To those who are not familiar with the development and release history of Affinity Publisher: it was eventually released in 2019).

I am sure no matter which way of communication with customers a company chooses there will always be people around who complain about it.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

11 hours ago, joelstrouts said:

Affinity Design please reply to indicate what the timeline is for this feature. I am considering requesting a refund. I bought this to use instead of illustratorand consider this an essential feature. Without it going back to ai will just be necessary.

If you’ve only recently bought it, I would go for the refund. You’re likely to get that whereas a comment from Serif on when this feature will be implemented is... well... incredibly unlikely based on the evidence of this very long discussion.

I’ve come to the assumption that there must be a fundamental flaw in the way they’ve implemented the apps to date which precludes the implementation of this feature. Otherwise, why the hell wouldn’t they have done it years ago. At this point many of us would probably settle for a commitment that it will come with 2.0 and have to pay again for it. At least we would then know!

3 hours ago, dominik said:

people around who complain about it

Yes, because it is marketing. People thought they could use the announced suite in 2015, then in 2016, then in 2017, 2018, … and we still can’t use it because of missing features and bugs. But that communication did not stop. But on the contrary: With words like “Hochleistungsmotor”, “bahnbrechend”, “revolutionären Software für professionelles Desktop Publishing. Von Zeitschriften, Broschüren und Büchern über Poster, Berichte und Briefpapier bis hin zu komplexen Publikationen – diese intuitive App bietet alles” you have to expect criticism.

1 minute ago, Oval said:

you have to expect criticism.

I'm sure 'they' put the same effort into criticising their dandruff shampoo brand ;) (not to mention car manufacturers).

d.