boudewijndanser

[ADe] Select same color / fill / stroke / appearance

4 hours ago, Josh Neufeld said:

Switched to Affinity Designer after a decade of Illustrator and it took me less than an hour before my troubleshooting search found this thread. I'm completely stuck without "select same" functionality... will ask for a refund given how unresponsive Serif seems to be for such a critical feature request.

Pop! (this is the sound of my initial enthusiasm for Affinity Designer disappearing)

OK, so you thought you could cut the cord to Adobe and jump on the Affinity train, there a unlimited travel ticket costs 40-50 bucks, and could take you around the world?

The day Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher can do everything Photoshop/Illustrator/Indesign does, we certainly see another price tag...

But, we are a lot of people/users here that thinks Affinity Suite is amazing already, although we miss some functionality...

Hi,

Hope you don't mind but your argumentation is totally weird.

Of course I never thought I could cut the cord to Adobe with such an affordable product suite, but I could, ...almost. Of course I don't ask for every single of Adobe to be reproduced in Affinity suit. But for most of the people here, the feature we are asking for since about five years is the ONLY missing to make the big jump. And YES Affinity products are amazing already.

Have a nice day.

Did you read this? "I'm completely stuck without 'select same' functionality..."

In other words, the purpose of this software is defeated by its lack of specific functionality. How can you argue with this? I can't use the software for its intended purpose. That's really bad.

5 hours ago, Josh Neufeld said:

Did you read this? "I'm completely stuck without 'select same' functionality..."

In other words, the purpose of this software is defeated by its lack of specific functionality. How can you argue with this? I can't use the software for its intended purpose. That's really bad.

Then, don’t use it... Use something else, plenty of choices out there...

Some need this functionality, others dont, me included... But, sometime in the future we have all the demanded functionality in the whole Affinity Suite, but, hold in mind, if Affinity can do everything Adobe CC can do, they will certainly share similar pricetag...

@Josh Neufeld

Welcome to the serif Affinity forums :) 

11 hours ago, Josh Neufeld said:

Perhaps your purpose for this software is defeated, but not the purpose, as it is used by many others. Hopefully you will find it does suit your needs once this popular request is added.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Latest releases on each platform 

OK, again the normal process of opening a PDF and all black objects are not 100K. Not very easy task of finding them all and setting them right.... can't wait this feature.

So...someone above suggested alternatives, one of which was VectorStyler. I downloaded the beta (it's only in beta now), and opened a PDF exported from AutoCAD. I did Select All, to rotate from portrait to landscape. VectorStyler crashed. I re-opened it, and there was a crash-report dialog. I filled it out and sent it. Almost immediately came an email, asking if I would send the offending PDF. I did so. The next morning, I got an email indicating that there was a new beta version, which should solve the problem, would I try it. Problem solved!

This is how customer support is supposed to work.

1 hour ago, dla_001 said:

This is how customer support is supposed to work.

Hello @dla_001,

I want to invite you to look around the forum, especially the Beta software forums here. You will find quite some cases where Affinity staff offered support as you describe it. Maybe not as fast as over night but within a considerate short time.

d.

Affinity Designer 1.8.2.620 (beta 1.8.3.647)   |   Affinity Photo 1.8.2.620 (beta 1.8.3.647)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.8.2.620 (beta 1.8.3.641)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.8.2   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.2

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 12/9/2019 at 9:45 AM, Patrick Connor said:

@Josh Neufeld

Welcome to the serif Affinity forums :) 

Perhaps your purpose for this software is defeated, but not the purpose, as it is used by many others. Hopefully you will find it does suit your needs once this popular request is added.

I would say the purpose for many users is defeated. It is like having a text editor without a find command. Essentially useless for many people.

For us, it is the primary use for a vector art editor. We produce drawings in CAD and then often edit the PDFs for presentation purposes. Our files therefore have 000s of objects, many of which have the same style. Selecting all manually is a non-starter.

5 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

your is the term used for the plural you as well as singular singular you. I meant your use case, which clearly is desired by many not just you

Not when replying specifically to an individual unless you make it clear that it refers to a wider group. Especially when highlighting that their use is not the same as a universal use. If you had meant a wider group you would or, perhaps, should have said.

Is this really going to become a debate about semantics?

Is there any word from Serif or ETA on vector-magic wand/select similar functionality?

Is there any way to numerically vote for features? Many software companies have a feature request page where people can use up to 3-5 votes on the top features as a means of helping show the highest demand for the developers to consider.

1 hour ago, Eric Louw said:

Is there any word from Serif or ETA on vector-magic wand/select similar functionality?

Is there any way to numerically vote for features? Many software companies have a feature request page where people can use up to 3-5 votes on the top features as a means of helping show the highest demand for the developers to consider.

Serif does not publish any ETAs. The only reliable sign that a new feature is about to be included in the near future is that it becomes part of a public beta.

There is no voting feature and Serif have indicated that they set their priorities according to internal discussion (that to some degree may also include feature requests). Nevertheless they are monitoring the feature request section of the forum closely. So you can be sure they know about the features that have been suggested over and over again :)

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1.8.2.620 (beta 1.8.3.647)   |   Affinity Photo 1.8.2.620 (beta 1.8.3.647)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.8.2.620 (beta 1.8.3.641)

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

Just now, dominik said:

Serif does not publish any ETAs. The only reliable sign that a new feature is about to be included in the near future is that it becomes part of a public beta.

There is no voting feature and Serif have indicated that they set their priorities according to internal discussion (that to some degree may also include feature requests). Nevertheless they are monitoring the feature request section of the forum closely. So you can be sure they know about the features that have been suggested over and over again :)

Cheers,
d.

Thanks. Pity they don't have a request prioritization system. They could still set their priorities according to internal discussion, but at least they'd have a concrete metric to gauge customer interest and potential buy-in. That's just the business side of me coming out though.

I appreciate the explanation, cheers!

1 minute ago, Eric Louw said:

but at least they'd have a concrete metric to gauge customer interest and potential buy-in.

Perhaps, but that assumes that a statistically significant number of users participate in the forums, and would vote.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.647 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.647 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.627 Beta.

18 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps, but that assumes that a statistically significant number of users participate in the forums, and would vote.

That seems to be an important point. Even though these forums are very active I have the impression that only a minority of the actual users of Affinity software are even aware that these exist. Nor do they care to participate (and that of course is totally OK).

OTOH some of the most requested (and discussed) features are also obviously (?) some of the most missing features :)

d.

15 hours ago, dominik said:

That seems to be an important point. Even though these forums are very active I have the impression that only a minority of the actual users of Affinity software are even aware that these exist. Nor do they care to participate (and that of course is totally OK).

OTOH some of the most requested (and discussed) features are also obviously (?) some of the most missing features :)

d.

It's not that hard to promote a feature request system once it exists if a broader input base is needed. Serif has email addresses for all of their customers, and there is an optional splash screen upon initially opening the software as well.

3 hours ago, Eric Louw said:

Serif has email addresses for all of their customers

Unlikely, as many of those customers have likely purchased through the Mac App store for example (or the iPad app store), and Apple does not share that information with the publisher of the software.

Just now, fde101 said:

Unlikely, as many of those customers have likely purchased through the Mac App store for example (or the iPad app store), and Apple does not share that information with the publisher of the software.

Fair point, but that doesn't defeat the underlying point being made.

2 minutes ago, Eric Louw said:

that doesn't defeat the underlying point being made.

Granted, but the problem is that users are already complaining that they feel there requests are being ignored (they are not).

If Serif were to implement a system like this, users would expect the votes to set a priority of some kind.  In cases where features depended on other features that had fewer votes, or might not have even been in the catalog, if Serif starts rolling out features that are prerequisites for the high-priority features users will start to question why the priorities set by the votes are seemingly being ignored.

If high-priority tasks (as per the votes) are ones that take a long time to implement, and other lower-priority ones keep coming up, users again might start to believe their votes are being ignored.

In the end, because of the fact that Serif is trying to steer the products in a particular direction and not simply catering to popularity with a user base, a system like this is more likely to lead to additional frustration and complaints and I would expect it to backfire.

46 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Granted, but the problem is that users are already complaining that they feel there requests are being ignored (they are not).

If Serif were to implement a system like this, users would expect the votes to set a priority of some kind.  In cases where features depended on other features that had fewer votes, or might not have even been in the catalog, if Serif starts rolling out features that are prerequisites for the high-priority features users will start to question why the priorities set by the votes are seemingly being ignored.

If high-priority tasks (as per the votes) are ones that take a long time to implement, and other lower-priority ones keep coming up, users again might start to believe their votes are being ignored.

In the end, because of the fact that Serif is trying to steer the products in a particular direction and not simply catering to popularity with a user base, a system like this is more likely to lead to additional frustration and complaints and I would expect it to backfire.

And an active, 19-page thread from 2014 isn't already doing that? ;P

Other companies simply mark the items they're working on, and provide feedback for those items they aren't. No big deal, and so much more transparent/customer-friendly.

Some credible examples: 1. Adobe 2. Logos 3. Microsoft 4. Oculus

6 hours ago, fde101 said:

All the reasons for not being more up front about things come back to the idea that their customers are really stupid. That’s not a great look. 

From my experience, you tell people honestly and thoughtfully what is going on, why something is happening or not and they are pretty good about Understanding it. 

What people absolutely abhor, is being managed like small children, especially when they are putting in quite a lot of time and effort to assist with the discovery and squashing of bugs. 

On 12/3/2019 at 2:59 AM, robinp said:

[....] I’ve come to the assumption that there must be a fundamental flaw in the way they’ve implemented the apps to date which precludes the implementation of this feature. Otherwise, why the hell wouldn’t they have done it years ago. 

Of course you are totally right and this is still more frightening!. These however wonderful apps  lack a solid data structure on the back side. If they would have this structure, implementing this kind of feature is just a piece of cake. I can tell that because I did that that in an industrial  packaging design app some 15 years ago.

It would be really nicer and smart to tell us that our requests imply some serious work on app internals. 

Everything else in this thread is just noise and smog.